Jerry Meyer (fired) at MBA

bigAsports

meyer shouldn't be held responsible for this team's terrible record. most of the football players quit, which happens a lot at mba due to the time and energy required to play football, and the team was very young. they simply lacked skill. jerry is a very good coach, and mba made a mistake by firing him. he does an excellent job focusing on fundamentals, and he expects the players to follow his systems. he doesn't ask anything unreasonable from them, and he treats them well. mba let go a good one.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HawksPG31

Knowing Coach Meyer for as long as I did, I thought he was a great competitor. He was always wanting and striving to be the best. I never played under him but I really would have loved to. I had the pleasure of knowing him and competing against him these past 4 years of my high school. It's a shame MBA let him go, but as someone else on this thread said, MBA loss = someone else's gain. I fully support Coach Meyer as he finds a new coaching job and shows what MBA lost.

Best of luck to Coach Meyer. The next place he goes will be a better fit.

Let's see - Ricky Bowers leaves, David Pack says no to his alma mater, the AD is leaving for a job in San Antonio, and now Meyer is gone. Sure they won the state in football this year but there's trouble in paradise. The tractors will soon be pushing dirt out on Highway 100. Get ready.

Posted by truthhurts:

Best of luck to Coach Meyer. The next place he goes will be a better fit.

Let's see - Ricky Bowers leaves, David Pack says no to his alma mater, the AD is leaving for a job in San Antonio, and now Meyer is gone. Sure they won the state in football this year but there's trouble in paradise. The tractors will soon be pushing dirt out on Highway 100. Get ready.

The "trouble in paradise" is mainly due to Gioia and his stubborn and financially-motivated mind. I wish the powers-that-be at MBA would listen to people (alums primarily) about their concerns about Gioia, although as long as he keeps producing classes with some of the highest SATs and national merit students in the state, those officials will be timid to act.

Bowers was definitely a loss (he did have last-minute reservations, I hear), and Pack saying "no" opened some eyes; the departures of the AD and Meyer will cause little disruption (with all due respect to them).

That being said, the tractors may be warming up out on Highway 100, but Ensworth High will not be a serious threat to the academic and/or athletic powers in town for at least a decade, and even then they will be going up against schools with decades and decades of tradition. Ricky Bowers will get them wherever they will be athletically quicker than most people, though.

[Edited by rollredroll on 3-4-03 12:17P]

That mushroom cloud you see over at 4001 Harding is yet another MBA faculty member throwing up their hands and leaving after yet another Gioia power bomb is dropped. Will the last "old school" MBA teacher left please don't forget to turn out the lights ?

MBA - the next USN of Nashville athletics

I have three sons; 2 of them were coached by Jerry before he went to MBA. I would not hesitate to let Jerry coach my youngest son.

In my experience, everything Jerry did was to help improve each player's skills, toughness and character. He certainly had a very positive influence on my kids.

Jerry has forgotten more basketball then I will ever know.

I think the world of Jerry; I am glad the apple fell close to the tree - an orchard full of those trees would be just fine with me.

My best wishes to Jerry - I am certain there is a better opportunity waiting for him.

Of course the school will be up and running (and playing sports) long before a decade passes; I assumed that was understood (ten years to build a school? - get real). My repsonse was in response to truthhurts's post that implied the demise of MBA through the construction of the new Ensworth High. JohnJacob, what school do you support, by the way?

I think Ensworth High is great - we need a new private high school in Nashville as competition for slots has heated up intensely. But anybody who think Ensworth High immediately moves to the top of the list as far as esteemed private schools needs a reality check. It will take many years to cultivate such an image.

[Edited by rollredroll on 3-4-03 4:54P]

I don't know Jerry Meyer, never even talked to him. I have one son that played for Father Ryan and another son that presently plays for the Irish. Both of my sons tell me that Coach Meyer goes out of his way to speak to them. After the last FR/MBA game, Coach Meyer made a point to ask my son how his knee is holding up (he is playing with a torn cartlidge and will have surgery at the end of the season). This was after the Irish beat them.

Good Luck Coach and Godspeed!

The "demise of MBA through the construction of the new Ensworth High" is a hot topic in the crowd I know. Granted MBA, both academically and athletically, is unquestionably the most tradition rich school in Nashville. However, unless there is a renewed emphasis on sports at MBA, Ensworth will dominate them in a very short time. The effect at Harpeth Hall, sports-wise, will be as bad if not worse. In the classroom, who knows. USN and Hume Fogg seem to compare favorably academically in their eyes, but the sports just stink. The one constant I had always seen was that if your dad went to MBA, the kid was going. No discussion. I'm hearing alot of discussion now.