AA..the season ratings

bball35

Teams like Unicoi, Alcoa, Walker Valley, & Oliver Springs....what are your opinions on how they were rated during the season? Do you think they deserved to be rated in the top 20 all year, and then teams like Seymour not even in the top 20 get further than them? Were they rated so highly because of their recrods but yet they didnt play anyone? I'm not saying they are at all, ALL of those teams were VERY good this year. I'm just asking for some opinions. God Bless

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant speak for the other teams, but take a look at Oliver Springs schedule, it was the most difficult of any AA team in East Tennesee with victories over impressive teams. OS was upset in one game, but that isnt a reflection that they had a easy scheudle as you put it againt light competition- Just the oppositte.

Also, to compare Walker Valley to Seymour and Austin East is way off. If AE and Seymour were in Region 3AA and had to play Region 4AA in the substates ( Jackson County or Livingston Academy instead of Elizibethton or Unicoi County) then AE and Seymour would be sitting at home too. Walker Valley lost at Jackson COunty ( 3 time defending AA champions) in the substates. I think you need to do a little research before you make statements about teams schedules.

[Edited by OS91 on 3-12-03 7:38A]

First, I agree with Swamp, it doesn't really matter. The tournaments are what counts. For example, Maryville high school boys team has been one of the hottest teams for three or four years during regular season but they do not(the coach) know how to win big at tourney time. BBalln, The goal should be to learn to improve during season and get to next level during tourney time. AE and Seymour did that this year. I think Alcoa surprised people this year and won alot early, remember they beat OS, Maryville, and Tellico in a row in preseason. When they lost to Seymour in OT late in season and had the chance to win with missed free throw, each team kinda took opposite directions. Seymour came right back and beat AE and Alcoa lost three in row. OS91, Alcoa has a good schedule too, they played 6 AAA teams and Webb which was ranked in DII. Almost won against Heritage while they were hot, beat Kingston and LC. So they were no fluke. But they were very, very thin. You beat Alcoa by foul trouble or running them to death. That is how they lost most of their games. To answer your question, I believe the ratings reflected the season at the time. All teams progress at different rates. That is where the coach comes in. If he is a good one, he knows how to improve thru the year, win or lose, and then play at the end of the year. Give AE and Seymour coaches credit, they did.

[Edited by TdTbb on 3-12-03 8:00A]

Year in and year out, it is hard for any team from Region 3 such as McMinn Cent or Walker Valley or Tellico Plains or Meigs Co to make it to the 'Buro. Does that mean they are weak?? Not by any means!! You try to get by Livingston, Jackson, or Upperman to make it the 'Boro. That has been next to impossible over the past several years.

I can't sepak for Unicoi Co and Alcoa, but I know OS played at Jackson, LA, Hancock Co, and Webb. They also played Clarkrange, Coffee County, Cannon Co, Giles Co, and Cumberland Co on neutral courts among others. They played South-Doyle at home and had a game against Seymour ccd. That plus district games made for a tough year my friends.

Guest hasbeenLT5

Before you speak you need to check your facts! Meigs County made it to "the 'Boro" four times in the last 10 years. In those four times they had one runner-up finish and two STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS.

[Edited by hasbeenLT5 on 3-12-03 4:39P]

I was not saying by all means that these teams are not strong. They are 10 times better than some of the teams from around where I come from. So dont get all offensive, I was just asking your opinions. These teams are very good and played great teams this year. I never said that they had weak schedules and played all bad teams or anything. I was just asking your opinion. Good Luck to all the teams in the tourny, and to the teams that didnt make it, you guys are still great and work hard in the off season, thats where a trip to the Buro is earned, in the off season working hard to get better for next year. God Bless

MIsty Greene never was a starter at UT, however she was by far one of the most effective 3 point shooters at UT. She scored 20 plus points in several games and had some big 3's in the NCAA. Pat would play her 20 minutes in some games and only 5 in the next. That is why you would see her score 12 points and then 0 in the next game. Overall she was solid and had some big games. I would hardly call that riding the bench.