OS position opening???

rSquared

here at jackson co. we have a home town coach. am not sure as to the year that he graduated from high school.but never the less. i dont believe that coaching the school that you are from should be a concern.for many years jackson co. was the laughing stock in girls basketball in there district and region.used to everyone wanted to play them because they knew it was an easy win.and the first few years with coach brown was rocky. but he got the program turned around and is one of the most respected coaches in basketball with the undisputed best girls basketball team in AA basketball. but whoever is chosen as the coach. the faculty, students and parents need to get behind whoever it is and show that you support them.and respect them.and to whomever is choosing the coach need to choose one that will support and respect the sudents. players and parents.whatever you do do not let politics decide the coach.because its a bad situation for everyone.we know this first hand with one or two of the sports teams we have,we have had great sudent athleats to quit playing sports solely because of the how the coach or coaches treated them.please do not let them make that mistake.good luck to you all in your hunt.and in your sport's seasons to come. ;)

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SOUNDS LIKE ....

you are saying that in the land of OZ

they need some one that is ::::

1)young enough to be firey and enthusiastic

BUT

2)with experience from a number of years of coaching

3)very solid when it comes to X and O's

4)someone that will provide discipline

any other coaching characteristics that anyone would like to add to this list

Bilyeu and Hackworth do not fit into category one, but...when you are legends like those two being fiery at their ages.....

Enough said my friends!!!

I love those TWO old school coaches---who have rubbed off on me--LOL!!! I really think these two men could ALSO take the Lady Cats to next level with ALL the talent there and coming up through the ranks over the next 6-7 years my friends.

I really hope Mr. Terry Hacker will seriously consider Mr. Sam Bilyeu as his next girls BBall head coach at OSHS.

I am not from OZ but I have coached against Big Sam and I know what he can do I have the same coaching approach that he does "give me 110% or you are playing PT and that is Pine Time (Bench) not playing time", I say GO FOR IT SAM!!!!

time to give all of us a

HISTORY LESSON..............

Bilyue ????

Hackworth ????

Big Sam ????

Stiltner ????

Tonya Snyder ????

Who are these coaches

Where do they coach

Where did they coach

Why did they leave

Why would they come back

what are there acomplishments

strenghts and weaknesses

who,what,when,where,why and how

Bilyeu and Big Sam is the same person. He has coach middle school ball for years at OSES.

Hackworth coach the OSHS boys years back and took a very good single A team to the state in I think 87. Since around 94, he has been in and out of assisting the middle school with Bilyeu.

Stiltner graduated from OS in 94, and I think is coaching a middle school around AC-Norris somewhere. Hasn't coach very long.

Snyder graduated OS around 91, and currently is the Clinton High School Lady Dragons head coach.

As far as experience, Hackworth and Bilyeu have it and also they know the personel more than the rest since they have coached most in Middle School. They could handle the expectations.

The next question is are these four mentioned even what the job or has this been a rumor that turns out to be false.

Did Stiltner put his name in? It looks like he is just commenting on the report rather than putting his name in the pot.

just to add to the discussion.

How about Coalfield Coach Carmen Hines? Would she be interested enough to leave her single A alma mater for an opportunity to go to a neighboring AA school with a great program, better pay, more talent, and a very promising crop of athletes on the way from the OS Middle School team?

I know she really likes her group of freshmen she had this year, or so I've heard, but if her desire is to move on up in the coaching ranks then this could be something she might want to look at.

What do you think, goose, answer9, kingB?

And kingB, I'm sorry to hear about the recent loss of your father. I lost my Dad when I was just a bit younger than you and, well, it's just never an easy thing at any age, I guess. You are in my prayers, B.

---rSquared

The job is death to anyone outside the loop. Bilyeu plays a soft schedule every year to pad his record and with the talent that he has had the last 3 or 4 years, it's no wonder he has good teams. But he is probably in the loop. I've heard Kandi Duncan, since Dorsey left when Wright took over. Definately in the loop. Hackworth was run off once, Johnson was run off, Thompson was run off, Weiss was run off and Dorsey was run off, before Wright provided some stability. The boys haven't done anything since Ballard and Cupp fled to better jobs.

So I say, to anyone applying, buyer beware!

I agree Stiltner is the man!!!!!

To Matt: I want to get the Unaka team into the Livingston Christmas Tournament. Do you know anyone we can contact about that? Also, where did Todd go to in Florida to play? Any info on that would also help.

If you want the job I hope you get it. You helped me out on several occasions!!! So I know you are a worker.

Yes, there have been coaches run off at OS, but its more because of underachieving teams than the picture you are painting of turmoil at Oliver Springs. Thompson had some really great talent and her teams were produced average results to horrible teams that lacked discipline.

Hackworth I believe got burn out of coaching in 94. After having 2 very successful years in 88 and 89, things went down quickly for Hackworth in moving up to AA and having to adjust to competition. There is no doubt he can coach and knew his x's and o's.

My point is, OS in Ballard, Cupp, and now Wright have been outsiders that have used Bobcats and Lady Cat talent to elevate their careers in coaching leaving at their choosing along with them teams that are left to adjust to new coaches. This needs to end now.

OS hasn't had a hometown coach in either program since Bill Brown ( former Hackworth assistant who replaced him) and Coach Gwen Crass ( former OSES coach back in the late 80's) All of these coaches didnt fare well and some had amazing talent and the teams never delivered. I think this is why the OSHS administration ( Hacker) looks for an out of town coach because of the lack of results from OS coaches. Also, I dont know if their were qualified OS coaches at the time to take over the reigns.

I do think the story is different now. Big Sam as you guys call him is undoubtedly qualified. But, a name to think about is Tonya Lively Snyder

Snyder has a good program going at Clinton now after struggling initially in her first 2 seasons. She was a great player at OS, played at Carson Newman, has her feet wet at AAA program and has elevated the Lady Dragon program that was one of the worst AAA programs in the state when she took over. This year, Clinton made the region for the first time in over a decade with sophomores. She had previous experience at Wartburg Middle school as their head coach and did an outstanding job. Tonya would give 110 percent and wanted the position badly wen Writh was given it. Hacker told her he wanted a coach with high school experience, so don't be suprised if she becomes a front runner for a position that she has con vented since her playing days 89-91.

Candi Duncan was without question one of the better players to play at OS, but does she have coaching experience? This current team needs a coach that can win now and is waling into a gold mine. Usually when their is a coaching change the program is in chaos and has to rebuild. The cup is full at OS and expectations will be high with a chance at a state championship in their inagural season. This is why a coach that has no experience as a head coach might need to be questioned.