cut-off question, std?

bgmlrh

Why when a throw is made from the outfield do so many choose to use the first baseman as the 'cut' person in the infield as opposed to the pitcher? The first baseman can back-up home plate. If a throw is coming to third from the right side of the field, then LF'er could back that throw up. If a throw is coming to third from CF or LF... there may be an issue on who would be there... hmmm. The question is why use the first baseman instead of the pitcher. Just curious.

[Edited by bgmlrh on 3-19-03 1:35P]

We use the pitcher as the home cut simply because it happens so fast that the first baseman doesn't have the reaction time to get across the diamond. This is the play with a runner on second and a routine single. On a gap hit the middle infielders go out as the relay person and we still use the pitcher as the home cut. In baseball the first baseman is used on a hit to right and some use the third baseman on a hit to left with the pitcher backing up home. Fastpitch is a much quicker game and the first baseman is too slow to cover esp on a hit to left.

Thanks for the reply. I prefer using the pitcher to redirect or align a throw to home. Someone that I coached with for several years always would yell at the first baseman for not being in position. It was frustrating. Your response makes me feel more confident about how I coach the team I am with now. Thanks again!