Do pitchers get all the credit??

LCSweetz

I am the pitcher for my high school team and I know I get teased all the time about the pitcher getting all the credit. I don't think that is true at all. I never have claimed to win or loss a game by myself. It takes nine players (a team) to win a game so the team deserves the credit. Tell me what you think. Do you think just because a pitcher has a good game or that them and the catcher get written down for the win that they get all the credit? I would love to know what everyone thinks. :(

[Edited by LCSweetz on 3-20-03 11:48A]

LC,

don't worry about it. as you said, you also get

all the credit for the loss as well as the win,

that's just the way it is. take it all in fun,

the people you are talking about are either teasing

you just in fun, or they are suffer from "pitcher envy/

jealousy". either way don't worry about it, the main

thing is that you know it takes the whole team, no

matter who pitches, catches, hits, runs, scores, or

errs.

;)

pitchers get all the credit because what they do is easy to recognize...both what they do good and what they do bad. i know, that sometimes other players get frustrated for not getting enough recognition and i agree that they should get more. anything and everything that a pitcher does is so easily recognized....thats why you guys stand out.

Before every pitch, everyone has their eyes on the pitcher. Everything the pitcher does, everyone sees. & most pitchers get credit for the game. It takes a team, win as a team...lose as a team. I'm the catcher from Unaka, and our pitchers do get a lot of credit, especially if it's a win. I'll admit, I get jealous at times when I'm calling the game & the pitcher gets a slap on the back. But the best thing to do is don't let it get to you. I'm just glad someone else has this wondering around in their head, just as I do!

im a pitcher,and ill tell you,i give my catcher as much credit as possible,because she deserves it,and i dont want her to feel anything she does goes unnoticed,she has the most important job on the feild,and shes and excellent ball player.She call my pitches and we work so well with eachother,so pitchers,if no one else does,give your catcher a high five,she deserves it. :(

Guest sportsfan10

Anyone who thinks the pitcher is all it is, send the pitcher out to play without the other 8 players and see how many games they win. Most underrated position is outfield, show me a team with a bad outfield and I will show you a team that loses. That is why it is called a softball "team". ;)

I think you went a bit too far with the outfielder comment. I can show you several highschools that have a strong pitcher/catcher and weak outfields and still win. On the other hand, there are very few teams that hit well enough to overcome a weak pitcher.

Also, from Sept - March I see many pitchers and catchers working out at places like Club K. I think there are only a few fielders that pick up a bat or glove on a daily basis during the off-season.

I am a parent of a pitcher and a lot of focus during the game is on the pitcher but it takes 9 players to play the game and those 9 players share in the win or loss. On the other hand, it is usually the pitcher who is remembered by most of the fans, did she pich well or was it a bad outing?

Pitchers probablly do deserve more of the accolades as they usually work on their game year round (if they are dedicated), from what I have seen most other players usually participate in other sports or take time out to enjoy other pursuits. So do pitchers get all the credit, No. Do they deserve more of the credit, yes because in most cases, they have earned it!

LC, pitchers make the sports sections stats ,highlights etc. What doesn't make the papers is all the off season work that pitchers and catchers put in . Also pitchers and catchers are the emotional leaders of the team. If they are up and working hard, then you can bet the rest of the team takes note.It takes all nine players to be a team ,everyone contributes and should get credit for their hard work.So if some of your team-mates don't make the papers tell them how well they played and how much you appreciate their effort. (lets hope the coach would do this also) Anyway play hard ,have fun things will fall into place :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for your point of view...keep the comments coming. I like to know there are other people out there that share my opinion. If you are a pitcher that gets told that you get all the credit and publicity let me hear your views on the subject. Thanks again! :rolleyes:

Like I said before, I am a catcher. & I work year round with my pitcher. We're best friends, but once we step on that ball field, she's not my friend until the game is over. I look at her as a player just as I do the other players on the TEAM. If someone makes a mistake, we just shake it off. Pitchers shouldn't get more credit for a win. If she has a no hitter, she deserves a slap on the back. But all of the other players deserve it too. No matter what they did. If a player has a bad game, just tell them they'll get them next time. Never exclude one just because of a fault. That's why it is called a TEAM.

*Go Rangers!*