Pitcher-Catcher Relationships

LCSweetz

Here is another question for you. How much affect on the game do you think a pitcher-catcher relationship has? My opinion...I am a pitcher and I think the pitcher and the catcher have to have at least a good working relationship if not a friendship for a team to work at its fullest. I know I have a friendship with my catcher and that helps on the field when we have to work together. In my opinion the stronger the pitcher-catcher relationship is the stronger it makes the team. What do you think?

this is another good question. the best instructors

will tell you this working relationship is critical to

success. I was told many years ago that the catchers

job was to make the pitcher look good, the opposite holds

true as well. this relationship should be one of mutual

respect and openness. both should be able to communicate

anything that needs to be said at anytime to get the batter

out. both should be on the same wavelength, the same sheet

of music, in sync with each other.

actually, all this holds true for the whole team, but

especially for the pitcher and catcher.

:rolleyes:

I think the more the pitcher and catcher get along the better they will play. I know this first hand, since I have pitched to someone who I wasn't friends with at all and a catcher who is my best friend. I could tell the difference the first game this season. I felt that if I missed a spot or threw a wild pitch that she wouldn't get all huffy. I feel more relaxed, I pitch harder and more accurate when she is my catcher. So I would have to say being friends with your catcher is an advantage for the pitcher.

I do agree with all of you all but in a way I dont. It is true that it is better if you have a good friendship between the pitcher and catcher. I am both a pitcher and a catcher so I know how everyone feels. But during my traveling team during the summer it doesn't matter if you like each other or if you have a friend on the team, we play on the traveling team to win. So in a way it shouldn't really matter. Just suck it up and play.