State Tournament Referees

NightStalker

CoachSh, what do you mean by letting the players decide the game? I hear that line all of the time from people in the stands and would really like to know your definition. Does it mean that you don't call a foul when there is one or do you let them just run up and down the floor and the last team standing wins. By watching tape you decide which guys will let you play and which ones won't and I am sure you guys call the assigning person for you league and tell them that you want certain guys and don't want others. Correct?

As for the comment on ALL high school refs want to be college refs I think you are way off. I know alot of the guys who worked the state and you would be surprised that most of them are college officials. So that crap about having a chip on there shoulder doesn't hold water.

You make this evaluation process sound so simple. In your area it might be a little easier since you don't have that many schools. How about in Memphis where they service 52 high schools? Some of the officials don't even make it to all of the schools during the year. How would they be rated by the coaches? Would that be fair to the coaches and the officials?

What 2 calls made a six point swing? I saw all of the games and only remember the ejection of the Hamilton coach as being a six point difference. Is that what you are talking about?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If CoachSH is a college coach, then I should be a pro coach. First off he does not know his grammar and secondly he has no clue about high school officials. If you know me and my family then you will stop getting on this site and bashing officials. They do not need to here crap from a supposed college coach on a HIGH SCHOOL message board. Stick to your college duties and criticizes college refs.

Thank you BigOwl for your support.

By the way COACHSH who is my dad?

'jgriffin' lighten up! If your dad is a good referee then he would have a good evaluation, if not then he would have something to worry about. There is nothing wrong with trying to discuss ways to improve the quality of the game in every aspect, from player, to coaches, and to referees. I am a coach and always open to ideas about how to get better at what I do so that the game and my athletes are better served.

'BigOwl' once again you bring up a valid point about all coaches not seeing every referee. I could see coaches rating referees that they DO see each year. While not a perfect plan, it would allow some coach input. Also, I do not want to seem like I want just the coaches to decide. In fact, the coaches' ratings should really be a part of a referee's evaluation. His association should be the primary source, but the coach would have some say. If all of the coaches in a district rated a particular referee low, then it probably isn't a 'personality conflict'. Also, if a ref continues to get a number of bad ratings or they increase, then the association can use this as a tool to see who needs more training. I also would not be adverse to going to one of these referee camps as a requirement for coaches. I know most other coaches will start complaing here, but we also have to make the effort. As long as my questions will also be answered, then I should gain a better understanding of the refs and their interpretation of the rules.

These are just ideas about something that could be worked out if people are willing to discuss them. That is what these message boards are for after all.

Officals don't get paid well. When you count the time they spend going to meeting which are required and paying their dues and uniforms. So you are wrong when you say officals are paid well.

The most important thing is that offical need to do the best job for the kids that they can and need to want to get better. It want matter what you do if they don't want to get better they want.

I know your answer to that get rid of them if they don't. Check the numbers and you see that can't happen. It would be great if you had so many officals you could just get rid of the bad ones but thats not the case.

Maybe the system is bad but its what we have and to get it better should be what everyone wants.

[Edited by riverrat69 on 4-1-03 4:47P]

If I was coaching --------- I would rate the least experienced official the highest due to the fact that I could probably 'intimidate' that official. If I have a physical team, I'll rate the official that doesn't blow the whistle much as my number 1. On the other hand, if I have a finesse team that isn't physical, I'll rate the official that will blow the whistle as my number 1.

Therefore, my rating sheet would be determined by MY style of coaching, NOT the officials ability to officiate.

While the 'integrity' of officiating is somewhat important, MY coaching record is MORE important!

This, in a nutshell, is why coaches should not 'rate' the officials.

I understand what you are saying about a buddy system. Here is my take on this.

Here is a district and you have 5 teams( a,b,c...). Then lets say you have 10 refs in this district.

a gives 2,4,6,8,10 votes

b gives 1,3,4,7,9 votes

c gives 10,7,8,9,2,3,4 votes

d gives 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 votes

e gives 1,2,4,6,7,10 votes

#4 ref 5 votes

#1 ref 3 votes

#3 ref 3 votes

#5 ref 1 votes

#7 ref 4 votes

#6 ref 3 votes

#8 ref 3 votes

#10 ref 4 votes

You would have ref #4,#10,#7 would ref the district with vote from the refs out of #8,#1,#3, to get the final ref.

[Edited by CoachSH on 4-2-03 12:24P]

CoachSH see what you think of this. If coaches and referees worked together to get a simple 4 or 5 question survey that could be filled out after the game, the refs could be ranked in these categories from 1 being poor to 5 being excellent. This could combine into an overall score for the ref. Also, in order to make sure this is not "one more thing" to everyone's long list, the association could randomly choose about 5 or 6 games a year for each ref. This would take out the buddy system because you don't always get to rate your buddy. Also, since refs in our association work all clasifications, they would be at the top if they were consitently at the top in various coaches' rankings. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks for the approval guys. I would like to hear from any referees about this idea. Also, would anyone have a good suggestion about who to contact about this? How would we go about getting it into action? Ideas are great, but useless if we don't act on them.