No more knob to the ball?

sportnut

I found this on another site and would like your comments.

After watching two top 25 D1 teams go at it on Saturday I˜m very convinced now, that the game has changed significantly. No more wrist swings, no more knob and squash, no more just throw your hands at the ball. If you teach that you are doomed to fail. Sure you will make great contact. But weak ground balls in the infield to move runners...well those days are gone. Defenses now are light years ahead of where they were in the past. Not many ground balls are fielded from a stationary position any more (unless they are a laser beam) Girls move to the ball, and throws are made on the run. Lead runners are often thrown out. Hitters now are being taught a hybrid type swing baseball/softball.

Most college hitters use a combo of linear/rotational hitting focusing on throwing the barrel at the ball using maximum bat speed at the point of contact & using the hips in a violent rotational motion to increase power and bat speed. I have even seen a separation type swing whereas the hitters release the top hand after full contact and extension forcing it into a "right/left cross type of punching motion across the chest.

The slapping game is now a power slapping game that is successful when the slapper puts the ball in the air and in a gap or over an infielders head. Most slaps on the ground now are thrown out unless you are Natasha Whatley.

There is more excitement with the long ball, and the coaches playing for the big inning where the game could change with one swing of the bat.

I agree with you. The game at the plate has changed. Rotational mechanics has collided with D1 ball. Not many teach it around the midstate. Eric Brewer near Franklin has had this hybrid swing for fastpitch the last few years. The ones that buy into it and stay with it have had a ton of success. Check out the travel teams this summer. There is now a distinct difference in techniques being taught.

I noticed some of the better high school programs had it four years ago before I knew it was being taught. Lipscomb was my first experience in seeing the rotational swing being implemented. There was no contact swings on that club and it was very obvious. This secret has now permeated through the ranks. Check out Macon Co. I know this club was a bottom feeder when it came to offense. They went to the hybrid swing and are now Lighting Up The Scoreboard. The key is buying into it. I can't tell you how many people have bad mouthed that swing especially in my own town. I'm afraid the obvious speaks for itself. You just have to be disciplined at the plate to use it. Without discipline, you will fail everytime. ;)

We teach linear movement in our swing also but the knob to the ball is what starts the bat in motion. That is what makes the barrel be where the ball is at. We don't take the knob to the ball during the entire swing, we do it just to initiate the swing. Do you do something different???

I agree rotational swings are very weak. (if you are just spining) There has to be a weight shift towards the ball to be powerful.

[Edited by imasoftballer on 3-26-03 10:36A]

[Edited by imasoftballer on 3-26-03 1:52P]

I've read a lot concerning rotational vs linear (softball vs baseball) hitting. I am by no means an authority and probably couldn't do a good job describing or recognizing either method. Most of the jargon goes over my head!

I do believe both techniques must have a batter keep their hands back and inside the ball (hands/knob to the ball) in order to be effective.

The rotational method lets a batter utilize more of the big muscles of the torso and legs by creating tension/torque between the upper and lower body. Linear hitting is more hands, arms, shoulders to produce quick solid contact.

The reality I think I see on the ball field (in the good hitters) is a hybrid of the two.

I think young girls would best be served by being taught along the lines of the Linear swing as a foundation. Then, as strength and coordination improve, the power (Rotational) can be added without a loss of effectiveness. I think the good hitters you see today have discovered this path for themselves mostly through trial and error.

There is also one other factor we are seeing in today's long ball explosion. Young ladies are coming to the game with much more athletic ability, desire, and a firm belief they can be solid ball players. Title IX is really beginning to make a difference. I love it!

Just MHO!

Coach B ;)

agreed coachb, the thing is that with the super strong,

light bats these days, it does not matter much what style

you use, what with the strenght and power of the girls

now days. also, next year if they reduce the COR of the

balls like they are talking, it might change a little bit,

but now when the pitcher supplies the power, all the

hitter has to do is throw the bat at the ball and it

goes to the green! ;)