Howard needs to drop its program

Indian

Howard called today and said they would not show up for a doubleheader, just forfeits in two district games. Wins are always good, but this causes lots of problems. Sequatchie does not have many home games this season, just district games, South Pittsburg and Whitwell. Losing today's game takes away from the gate and concession money raised. I am not sure on the situation with the umps, they should charge Howard because I'd guess they won't be able to find any games on short notice. Freshmen players would have been able to play the second game probably, or maybe both. Two five-inning games were planned. And to be honest, I'd like to see varsity players get 2 or 3 at-bats and raise averages, since other district teams have been playing Howard this season. It would help pitchers' stats too, against a terrible team but again other pitchers have improved their numbers already against them. The game was supposed to be a doubleheader because 2 weeks ago Sequatchie went to Chattanooga to play Howard and they did not line up any umpires. Parents wasted gas money, it's a young team with only 4 seniors and juniors (likely the only legal drivers) so parents have to help coaches haul players usually and the whole day was a waste. If they can't do any better than this, calling off a 30-mile road trip while continuing to play home games (when they have umps) and Chattanooga teams, they need to drop their program. Can you imagine this happening in football? Riverdale calls Oakland the day of the game and says sorry we'll just forfeit. Sure that's one of the biggest games of the state in any sport and would never happen, but things should be no different no matter the sport. Editing here-if they can't get better at organizing, they do need to drop it.

[Edited by Indian on 3-28-03 11:49A]

[Edited by Indian on 3-28-03 11:55A]

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel sorry for the girls that are in that program, maybe its just a few who actually care whether they good or not, but thats a few too many that should have to forfeit and not get to play games because of a Coach's incompitence. They don't need to drop the program they need a new coach and some administrators who would eat a coach alive for letting this happen. What a shame.

Indian,

You DO NOT want your varsity players to bat against Howard. Not if you want them to be able to bat well against your next opponent. (Not that it matters since they cancelled.)

But playing Howard and then playing South Pittsburg the next day killed us. Every one of our girls were swinging late.

Next time we play them all our JVs will play except the pitcher and the catcher. We don't have JVs in those spots.

And I think Howard should cancel all their sports except basketball. That's the only one they care about anyway.

Del.

Padding stats against the stiffs is not the way to go. I would like to see Sequatchie Valley play a double header against Soddy and see what happens to there stats. You need to be playing good teams and trying to get better, not bad ones so you can pad your stats!!!!

What does Soddy-Daisy have to do with this? Stick to games and teams you know about, or think you know about. Soddy-Daisy is great. Yes, they are. Did you have another point? If the other district teams play Howard, especially two games each for the other Chattanooga teams they will have an advantage when it comes to end of year stats, all-district. Howard is a district game, nobody chooses to play them but since it's on the schedule it should be played. This team also needs more innings, like I said, especially on defense. If it wouldn't be good for starting players to bat against them, then it would certainly do the freshmen players good to play 2 varsity games, even against Howard. None of that is really the point, which is this isn't the first time something like this has happened with Howard. If they can't get better organized or get a coach who cares about playing road games further than 5 miles away, they need to drop the sport. And Weasel, if a team has 8-10 home games scheduled do you think it's bad when 1/10 of the gate and concession money is just lost? One more thing, if Soddy-Daisy traveled 30 miles, more like 50 for some parents (and back) for a game and no umps were arranged, what would you think? How about if a double-header was scheduled and they forfeited the day of the game?

[Edited by Indian on 3-30-03 8:39P]

Does the district that Howard is in have meetings???... Maybe some of the other coaches could help out Howard's coach... give a few pointers...let him/her know what the district is like... how serious softball is to the other schools...

All districts have weak teams...SCHS was one for a long time... but the other coaches in the district were all good about offering pointers...sharing techniques to help out the program...and that was truly appreciated...

WesVols,

This is Del from his brother's computer...watching Wrestlemania.

Howard isn't really that good in football if you ask me. When they win it's just based on sheer athletic ability. Not a good program. They have the worst facilities in the state and it's completely unsafe to play a game there.

And in the great wisdom that is the Hamilton County school board they are going to renovate that school and keep it in the worst crime area in Chattanooga.

Grundy's last time there to play football our crowd was threatened and the Howard team brawled with each other after the game on the field.

Yes they won at Grundy last year but Grundy didn't show up. Grundy will win this year at Howard as long as we don't have to play with armed guards on the field.

That place is the pits and should be bulldozed.

Del (who isn't sure if it will show up with my info or Scoob's when I post this.)

My point is......don't pad your stats against the stiffs. Soddy has the same problem with Brainerd, only Soddy plays it's JV team the whole game. Soddy is going to Pisgah today. How do you think that will affect the stats of the girls that play in that game? When i look at the stats in the paper on Friday morning I see girls that are batting .700 that couldn't even play at Soddy. One of the ways to do that is fatten' up on the Howard's of the world. I agree that they should shut down the program for everybody's sake as well as Brainerd's but until they do let's keep it honest. And when you post a thread about something does everybody have to agree with the almighty 'INDIAN'? If they don't then they should stick to something they 'know about'. GET A LIFE!!! ;)

Howard is a district game. It was not scheduled to improve batting averages. That was one part of the topic, a small part, what about the other three or four things? I agreed with Del, varsity players maybe would not have even played. Get over it. And you don't know the game around Chattanooga if you think the top A and AA players "couldn't even play at Soddy-Daisy." Any coach around Chattanooga, including the one at Soddy-Daisy, would love to have the girl from Whitwell that leads the area in batting especially since she's only a freshman. Once again, Soddy-Daisy is not even part of this subject. Stay at Soddy Lake and watch AAA ball, since you think the other divisions are so inferior. Yes-Soddy-Daisy ia a great team. Are they forfeiting games to anyone?

[Edited by Indian on 3-31-03 7:48A]

[Edited by Indian on 3-31-03 7:58A]

[Edited by Indian on 3-31-03 9:42A]

to Indian

i think you are acting like a big baby. grow up. it's ridiculous to keep complaining about how howard forfeited last friday. if you really wanted to improve your teams stats, you should try practice, practice and more practice instead of trying to put down a weaker team. true other teams in the district have played howard and their stats might have improved a bit, but only in the pitching. strong hitters are use to faster pitching so hitting off howard is still a little difficult just because the pitching is slower. also if your team were better it wouldn't matter who you played because your stats would be high anyway.true, if the jv played it would help them with their playing time and experience for the next few years, but when you put your varsity against them just to improve stats it's just down right pathetic. it shouldn't matter. it's also really bad sportsmanship to say howard is such a "terrible team". true they're not the best in the district but for a stronger team to put them down like that is just childish and immature.not to mention the poor example you're setting for the players that might look up to you. a bigger person wouldn't do that. :rolleyes: