Riverdale..Just a Local Powerhouse

WarriorFan

brandon is only saying that riverdale has passed the state level in TN and should try to test the waters of the national level to see where they would stand and to see where they could be. it would be a tool to improve riverdale's program. it would be tough on the kids since 4-5A is one of the hardest regions in the state but to become better one has to make sacrifices. i think that is the point brandon is making.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you , Shaggy. You are right on the money. This post is not to get you 'boro folks mad, it is to get you to think of how good Riverdale could be. I think overall, the 'boro has the best talent in the state. Heck, much better than Nashville or Memphis. You guys think too small in the box. Get outside Middle TN, and play some teams you never saw(out of state), and you will dominate. Unless you do this, you will always be no better than a bottom USA Today Top 25 team. Measure yourselves against the best. It is what makes national contenders.:D

[Edited by Brandon100 on 4-3-03 9:11P]

[Edited by Brandon100 on 4-3-03 9:13P]

BA and MBA do play bigger schedules when they have the guns to do so. In weak years, they pull off.

BA was not a great team this year, despite the hype. MBA was the dominate team at the end of the year, and it showed at the State Championship. Coach Rutledge will make his mark, believe me. MBA reminds me of the old BA teams of 15-25 years ago. Tons of heart, which BA does not have at this point. Now that Coach Flatt is back, give BA about 3 years and you will see some huge games and a BIG turn around in the BA attitude on the field. I cannot wait until MBA plays Trinity. I look forward to this game. I think MBA will beat them. Although BA is my team, I always pull for MBA outside when they play each other.

[Edited by Brandon100 on 4-3-03 9:20P]

Riverdale, I say it because I want TN football teams to dominate the best. If Riverdale was playing anyone out of state, you can bet my hat would be in for Riverdale, or any Tn team for that fact. I just want our teams to play any local state's best. I think that if our teams would play out of state teams, it would kill the myth that TN is a weak high school football state, which I don't believe is true at all. For only 5 million folks in this state, I think our football is as good as any.

[Edited by Brandon100 on 4-3-03 9:26P]

[Edited by Brandon100 on 4-3-03 9:34P]

[Edited by Brandon100 on 4-3-03 9:34P]

Ok brandon, lets get one thing straight. Riverdale just needs to be a local powerhouse. I dont remember who said it in an earlier thread, but why does riverdale, or oakland, or blackman, or anyteam for that matter have to scrounge up a bunch of money to go play out of state. What does it matter to be in the USA TOP 25. I mean, it is great if you make it. If you dont, who cares. DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY HIGH SCHOOLS THERE ARE IN THE US? (o, and by the way, Riverdale has been in it, Red Bank, Germantown, and a few other teams)Not every team is going to make it in the poll. I am the same was as bhsol....i played for oakland for 4 years, i really dont like Riverdale, couldnt care less if they win state every year or not, but, you can not say that going out of state and gettin killed makes you team better. you said it your self....in recent "weak" years, BA and MBA have stopped going out of state. WHY? if it is supposed to make them better, i would think that during the weak years thats what you would want. to get better. This past year was my last year at oakland. We lost to riverdale the past two years. BUT, i am willing to bet that we could go out of state and beat up on some teams. I GAURANTEE you that OHS, RHS, and BHS could go to some other states and win. But who cares. What does it matter if your program is nationally recognized? That and about 4 bucks will get you a tall white chocolate moca drink from Starbucks. Getting national recognition dont do anything for a team. it may get a few more scouts in there, but other than that, what does it get you. Respect? Great. But if you are winning around tennessee, you got all the respect you need. Why would i care if i went to play de la salle and got beat, but they said "hey, yall are a good team, yall earned some respect tonight". Why would that matter? IT WOULDNT. It would be nice to have national respect, but when it all boil's down, the only respect you need if from your opponents that you play year in and year out.

SO GET THIS HORSE CRAP OUT OF YOUR HEAD THAT WE NEED TO GO PLAY OUT OF STATE TO PROVE OURSELVES. WHO DO WE NEED TO PROVE OURSELVES TO? THE TENNESSEE PEOPLE THATS WHO. AND I THINK THAT OHS, RHS, AND BHS HAVE DONE THAT ALREADY.

Let me say it a different way. I moved to TN is 1999. My father coached HS football in MS for over 20 years. I knew about all of those programs, and some in Alabama and Louisiana, but I had never heard of Riverdale, MBA or BA until I moved here. If they had made some national polls in the past, i may have read about it, but it did not mean a thing to me. People in other parts of the country don't know or care about the teams here any more than most of us care who is number 1 in Arizona.

They say all politics is local - I believe the same goes for High School football. If you want to play those guys, fine. If you don't fine also. I understand the whole "rise to the level of your competition thing", but there is absolutely no shame in my mind to be a "local powerhouse". You meant that as an insult in a way, I take it as a major compliment.

[Edited by Riverdale on 4-4-03 7:19A]