Maryville's injury update

KenHawk

We think Prugh injured her shoulder sliding into 2nd base, not home plate , against Soddy. She hurt her knee on the play as well, which may account for her not realizing her shoulder was hurt as badly as it was. This is all speculation, however, since Gretchen can't recall any other particular episode that may have caused the injury. Nonetheless, no one thinks her injury was caused by pitching, but she certainly aggrevated the shoulder by pitching several games before the pain reached the point she went to the doctor. As her coach, I had no idea she was hurting at all until she told me so after the william Blount game last Thursday. She went to the doctor the next morning and hasn't played since. She has been released to play next Monday in the district tournament. Whether or not she can pitch we'll have to wait and see. She is a very strong, determined young lady. I will not risk further injury to her if she is not ready to go. However, Gretchen is a senior and wants to play. Her doctor has indicated that she should be ok. As I said earlier, we'll wait and see.

Ken Hawkins

MHS Softball Coach

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang...I didn't mean to hit the hornets nest. I guess my response was really for TNT's post. By the way, I have really enjoyed some of your past post. The one with the telatype yesterday was great. I won't mention any names. I know your a Trousdale fan especially in football, good luck this year. Not like they'll need it. They are always in the hunt.

KenHawk, I understand what you may be experiencing with your pitcher and when you have Seniors wanting to play and be leaders, they sometimes withhold the truth about their injuries. I hope for her and your teams sake that she will be OK. Your club is solid...I have enjoyed watching them in some of the tourneys this year.

Great job of coaching this year. I never thought Maryville would have as good of a record as they do considering how many seniors was on last years team.

I talked to Gretchen Prugh's parents and they said she has not heard from a lot of schools. That surprised me because I think she is one of the best pitchers in the state.

Thanks Rebelron. It has been a pleasure seeing this year's team achieve high goals. I agree that Gretchen is one of the top pitchers in the state, and I am still hoping that some SEC school will notice and offer her a softball scholarship. She has received some offers (MTSU, Cleveland State, etc.) but she has not accepted those offers to date.

P.S. I should say that these schools have expressed an interest in Gretchen. I'm not sure if they actually made her an offer or not.

[Edited by KenHawk on 5-2-03 7:03A]