ELA

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Supersteve, I understand what you are saying, and that would be true if it wasn't for the fact that all of those schools are just like independent members of any organization. They were making a proposal just like you or I would and the TSSAA does not have any obligation to follow the votes or suggestions of its members.

I still believe that if the athletes got to choose, they would want all the teams to compete together, instead of having a possibly diminished state title. Unfortunately, it's the coaches and administrators who make this so political. :P

itzme,

I can assure you that your belief is incorrect (at least in single A). Just ask the athletes from a public single A school and hear what they have to say.

RHSfan

Out of those choices, I believe the multiplier to be the best, but in the interests of not being hypocritcal, the TSSAA should also apply a multiplier to magnets and open zoned public schools. It`s easy to see that some public school systems enjoy advantages other public schools don`t. To show that this whole thing is not just a vendetta against private schools, we need to adress open zones as well.

The best solution would be a merit based system. No one could argue about disadvantages then. All schools would be competing against similar schools based on past performances. This system could be done, plus it would reward the best schools in each class and eliminate a lot of these schools that have a 1-9 record making the playoffs.

VG

ELA, I understand and agree with what you are saying. I guess my frustration comes from the old "no taxation without representation" line from Revolutionary War days. It just seems that Collinwood (and/or other public schools) can build a voting coalition and get things done "their way" while the private schools could not make a dent if they voted in a rock solid block. Furthermore, all of the TSSAA board members and legislative council members are from public schools, making any changes proposed or opposed by privates irrelevant. I don't mean to come across as sounding whiny, even though it probably does.

As far as the assertion or denial that athletes would rather play everyone or not...since when did the high school athletes have a say in this matter? Who cares what those snot-nosed kids think anyway? Who do they think they are!?! Don't they know that adults are in charge here? We can fix this mess!

(I hope everyone sees the irony in this last paragraph!)

supersteve... Every school, public and private, that are members of the association will be able to express their opinions on this issue. since the BA lawsuit is back in the appeals process, I think part of this may be a backlash against private schools even though BA is the only party in the suit. It is much more complex than just regulating playoffs and classifications. The one thing that PLAN III will offer is an end to the public/private debate. As long as the two groups play together in any format, some will always have reason to dislike the other. It may not make much sense to people looking at it from the outside, but for most public school coaches and administrators, the resentment is very deep. I will say that if Plan III is approved, I think the private schools should have much more control over DII! Both Divisions must play under the same rules (NFHS RULES) but the private school (DII) committee should have some governance over their division.

ELA, I understand and agree with what you are saying. I guess my frustration comes from the old "no taxation without representation" line from Revolutionary War days. It just seems that Collinwood (and/or other public schools) can build a voting coalition and get things done "their way" while the private schools could not make a dent if they voted in a rock solid block. Furthermore, all of the TSSAA board members and legislative council members are from public schools, making any changes proposed or opposed by privates irrelevant. I don't mean to come across as sounding whiny, even though it probably does.

As far as the assertion or denial that athletes would rather play everyone or not...since when did the high school athletes have a say in this matter? Who cares what those snot-nosed kids think anyway? Who do they think they are!?! Don't they know that adults are in charge here? We can fix this mess!

(I hope everyone sees the irony in this last paragraph!)

supersteve17,

I wish this new CoachT had good marks, because your post deserves one!

RHSfan

Thanks, RHS and Chakra20 for your kind comments. Maybe I can lead the new coachT in "kind comments."

ELA, to "express opinions" is not treally the problem in my eyes. Private schools have plenty of forums in which to express opinions. I appreciate your assertion that under plan III the DII schools should have more say in their own governance. I guess my cynicism comes through when I say, "Why would they (public school TSSAA board members, etc.) give DII schools more input and control?"

If there truly is a "backlash" against private schools, I assume that the powers that be would say, "Do it our way or hit the highway." If that is the case, the DII schools would have to choose whether to stay and play or go their own way.

Maybe I'm being a little too "gloom and doom" but that is how I see this thing eventually playing out if there is a total split.

Edited by supersteve17

Steve... there are a few public school coaches who don't care if the privates bolt the TSSAA, but I don't see that happening, IF the new reforms in the TSSAA includes more control over DII IF all private schools end up in DII. I can't see any reason why they shouldn't control their own division and this will be the central push by many to make the plan work! The TSSAA legislative board must have control over regulations that effect both DI and DII teams, but activities that only effect DII teams should be decided by the DII committee. With all "independent schools" in DII, there should be no reason to limit the expansion of private school representation at the TSSAA. Public school administrators will not fight that issue IF the SPLIT happens as provided by PLAN III. I see it as the way that we get ourselves out of this debate. The public schools will compete against like minded schools and the private schools will compete other private schools. They will still be able to schedule non-region games against one another and most will learn to live with the new system.