Why Don't Travelers Play Aau

Winner where did you get your info.

shoes-yes

clothing-no

uniforms-yes

high profile tournaments-yes

expenses paid-no the boys last year sold t-shirts and water to raise money plus had the gate from the smokey mountain shootout.

it took charlie alot of hard work and years to get where he is today. some people think they should be able to reach that level in a year or two with little time involved.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with most orginazations is that the coaches don't stay in it long enough. Most of the coaches stay until their son gets too old and then quits. Whereas Coach Benson has stuck with it. Most sponsors want a proven track record before they turn loose of their money. You have to give Coach Benson and the Travelers credit for staying in it long enough to have some (good) history. I'd still like to see them play all the other Tn teams in AAU.

The Travelers had to work pretty hard for a lot of years to get where they are and earn the Nike sponsorship. It wasn't just handed out. They started out like most everybody else - with little or no resources. They've earned what they've gotten from Nike. There are a lot of people in that organization that have worked long and hard.

As for AAU, their calendar is full enough with invitational type events.

There is no question that Charlie Benson runs one of the top programs in the country. I think he is a good coach and planner. However, when you talk about how all his kids get scholarships, that is no great coaching job. He doesn't have the same kids from year to year he goes out and gets the ones that are already being looked at by the college coaches. I don't want anyone to think I have anything but respect for Mr. Benson and his program. It is a fine example of what planning, money and organizational skills can do. I think the YOMCA program in Memphis is another great program.

Another thought on the Travelers choosing not to play AAU - some other top programs from other states also choose not to do so. A few years back, the Travelers began getting good out-of-state players from North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, and even Florida, including Desmond Allison and B.B. Waldon - which prohibited them from playing AAU - I believe the AAU rules are more accomodating now, but that's another reason they got out. Even with their resources, there are only so many events you can play.