Centennial vs. Blackman

boneal52

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is no one talking about the actual scrimmage anymore? Is the only solace left found in talking about a fight? I thought it was a pretty good scrimmage, and surely worth talking about. The fight was immature, and not even entertaining at that, so why all the fuss? I didn't even see it start, but all the Centennial players said it was indeed a Cougar that started it. And I don't know what it means to say that Blackman finished it. The fight was retarded and pointless. The scrimmage was the focus of the day, and well played for the most part. Congrats to both teams.

Ok look. If you've ever played football, then you should know that football is all about blood, sweat, and tears. Along with tears comes emotion. This is why the fight started is because of emotion. Players are not just gonna stand around and watch one of there players get beat up on. So the fight wasnt all that pointless. I know I wouldve and anyone probably wouldve jumped in and started taking up for a teammate.

Now as for the scrimmage itself. I think both teams show great promise. Blackman shows a lot of promise in there passing and running game. Kenny meredith shows great power in the backfield. The new freshman Shane Adams (#22) will also be a great threat for the next few seasons.

Edited by Fullback49

Good point. And I've played enough football on high enough levels to know that fighting on the field is pointless and unacceptable. I've done it myself, and it wasn't smart, it was immature. I was 14 years old as a freshman who couldn't control his emotions. Yes it is a game of emotion, but the BEST players out there, control those emotions. They save them for another 35 seconds or so until the next snap, and then they unleash them for a positive outcome. Use it as fuel. Don't use it as an excuse for not being mature enough to take a step back. I understand wanting to defend your teammate. But that never even has to come in to play, if the kid from Blackman can just be the better man than the idiot from Centennial who can't keep himself from throwing a cheap shot. To just end it, walk away, and get your revenge on the next play, the right way. I can't say that it is easy to do, because it isn't. But it is what we should strive for. And we shouldn't celebrate the fact that these two teams aren't mature enough to keep from wanting to start full team fights with one another. There's no point in thinking that Blackman finished it, and that makes it ok and it was a show of emotion. All it is, is a show of immaturity and lack of dicipline, first on Centennial, then followed by Blackman. I would have loved to have seen the kid from Blackman just get out of the situation and then on the next play plant the CHS kid on his you know what. That would have been the best way to handle it.

Good point boneal52. The scrimmage ended in a tie with each team scoring 5 touchdowns. Centennial players did want to fight all along. They figure that since there has been a fight in each scrimmage between them that they had to keep that "tradition" alive. Blackman said they wouldnt start the fight but if it happened, then it just happened.

Thanks Rebel.....that's actually the first time I'd noticed we dont have good marks anymore!

Fullback, I wouldn't be surprised if the CHS kids were expecting or looking for the fight. They love the "fight" of the sport, but sometimes seem like they need to mature a little more before the season starts.

And last I'd heard, the final ended 4-2 with Phillip Bates adding another score to the post I'd made earlier. But that's all just word of mouth. I think the scoring lost its importance after the first two drives anyway, since that's when the starters started working their way out of the lineup.

I didn't get to see the scrimage. When they moved it to Thursday, they moved it to a day I had to work. I'm not sure who started the fight because I didn't see it, but I bet it sure was fun. I know that last spring we got into it too. It was exciting being out on the field and seeing my whole team come running out there fighting. The funny thing was when Rico thought that the guy he was beating the crap out of was a Centennial player when it was actually J.D. Alsup (Coach Alsup's son) that he was fighting.

And another thing, this is just my opinion, I don't want to offend anyone from Centennial: I don't know about this spring, but last year Centennial just tried to do trick plays the whole scrimmage. Spring practice is not about winning scrimmages, it's about getting a good look at your team and doing a little work to get prepared for the upcoming season. I think that if Centennial would just concentrate on perfecting the basics first, they would make it further in the playoffs. I know they have a lot of speed and talent, I just don't know if they have a lot of discipline. I may be wrong though, from what I heard, they won the scrimmage. Like I said, I wasn't there this year so I don't know if they did a lot of trick plays this year or not.

Well with all that said, good job to both teams and good luck in the upcoming season.

But at some point the trick plays must be practiced... so why not get that out of the way in the spring, and save the basics for fall. Think about if the Titans hadn't ever practiced the homerun throwback. We wouldn't have had a Super Bowl team. Just my thoughts... August 1st is quickly approaching!

In my opinion Coach Gregory for Cent. is a moron for not throwing more, Brandon Meggs, David Campbell, Daniel Lambert, Patrick Miller, are all young outstanding athletes, who can run jump and catch, if Taylor Scott were to be at QB throwing the bell, cent wouldnt have to hand it to Bates or Buchannon the entire game and actually have som balance, the Wishbone was wonderful last year, but Tracy Beach is gone and Cent doesnt have a power running back anymore, Tommy is more of a shifty quick, and very good Running Back.