Centennial vs. Blackman

boneal52

Idunno if I'd pull the moron trick out of the bag. This wishbone offense took the Cougars to the playoffs for the first time ever. And the only only other time they got close, it was with a wishbone offense in 1998 when they went 4-6 and missed out by a game. In fact, that '98 offense was the only one to be more productive than this past years with over 3000 yards rushing on the year. Phillip Bates is more of a power back than Tracy was anyway, and when you run the wishbone you dont really need power backs. That is why there are three of them. Its misdirection and scheming.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when theres more talent outside of the hashmarks then inside i believe that u should use that, while the wishbone will be affective, i believe throwing the ball if no more then 40 percent of the time or so, would create wider lanes for the backs. I think that there is a tremendous amount of wasted talent at reciever for centennial, but at the same time the backs arent to shabby.

fullback49, you said something about the fight and keeping the "tradition" alive. Before this spring, we only got in a fight with Centennial ONCE, not every scrimmage. And we've scrimmaged them about 5-6 times in the past 3 years. We did however get in a fight with Franklin County during a scrimmage my junior year, the fall of 2001.

to everyone else, I think that the wishbone is a good offense to mix in maybe during the MIDDLE of a game, but I don't think that it should be a team's base offense. I think Centennial would find a little more success if they ran a more basic offensive scheme. As far as I know, there has never been a team to win the state with an irregular offense such as a wishbone or a wing-t.

Now here's some info: it took Centennial about 7 or 8 years to finally make the playoffs. Blackman did it in its first year. We became the first team ever in Tennessee to make the playoffs in its first varsity season.

Good luck to both teams in the fall.

chsfailure, I see your point to an extent. There is good talent at the WR spots but I think you're missing the big picture. "Outside the hashes" you have the recievers and no one else. Inside them, you have a strong core of backs and a group of offensive lineman that has the potential to be outstanding. They're physical with good size and they get after it. The offense is tailored to the most important group, which is the offensive line.

True, but how many teams do you know that have CB's taller then 6'2 and run under 4.8? Centennial has 2 that are taller and faster then that, David Campbell and Brandon Meggs... So the point in which im trying to make is... they can throw the ball a little and deep every once in awhile, with success, then the middle will open up for Bates, and Buchannon, and that massive good O-line.

YES......now I'd say we're reaching an agreement. Now, I'll ask you how much do you think they have to toss it to keep everyone honest and keep Brandon involved, because we have to remember he'll probably get touches in the return game too. I'd say if they get 7-8 completions a game and the completion percentage doesn't dip too low to get them, that should be more than enough. If Brandon gets 5 touches a game in any way, I really think he's got the talent to score 10 or 12 touchdowns.

The problem with Centennial throwing the ball is that they have yet to train a quarterback to throw more than give it to the running back. Besides, the only throw they did last year was a little post route to Brandon last year, and that only worked once. I don't know if they even have more than 3 passing plays in their playbook. As for the Wishbone, Bates is good, but he is no Tracy Beech. I do not think the wishbone will be as effective this year as last year. Meggs should probably try another position, because he won't get the catches per year that colleges look for. With Taylor Scott being the #1 Quarteback, I don't see them going deep much.....I could be wrong though.

Edited by titansfan05

And Tracy Beech is no Phillip Bates. That's comparing apples and oranges, two different kinds of backs. Tracy relied on his great vision to get in the open and good leg drive to break tackles. Phillip will just run like an uncaged bull and try to manhandle his way to the endzone, not really paying much attention to who is in the way. Neither one of them has exceptional speed, but both are fast enough to break one often enough. Phillip could just as easily have the type of season Tracy had last year. Both outstanding football players, and great guys to boot.

I'm just not likin the wishbone like I did last year. Since Bates runs like a bull charging, I assume he will be getting less carries and more blocking, because the kid is powerful. Last year Tracy got the most carries, but Tommy was also a great runner and would get the ball almost as often. With Tracy gone, it leaves Tommy as the lone "Tail Back" and Bates as more of a fullback. This takes some suprise out of the attack. I wish I could have gone to the scrimmage to see how they performed.

To me, i think that you will find with Cent. and the wishbone the same thing that has happened to Hendersonville and the Wing-T. When you have a good year running an "irregular" style of offense, then the next year you opponents will have better idea of how to game plan you. I think they will be able to fill the gaps better, cover better, make better reads, etc.. Hendersonville has lacked in offensive production over the past few years, whether or not its b/c of lack of talent, or not. i think it is because the wing t has become and offense where you can only do so many things out of the same formation, its easy to see where the play is going. i know when i played at oakland, the coaches knew every play what was going to be run, and the taught the kids that. Thats how they had so much success against the wing-t. They stopped everybody that ran the wing-t. I think that this will happen to Cent. in the comming years....it may not happen right away, but i wouldnt be surprised if you see more opponents shift into schemes where they can top a particular play.