Centennial 3 Hendersonville 2

titansfan05

Who wanted to know who was making excuses...did you miss this post??? see the recopy below. The person did graciously wish us luck but did not credit us with winning, but with them NOT winning...not very realistic.

game analysis: centennial scores 3 early goals on 3 key mistakes in the back and they do basically nothing after that. 3-1 at half. hendersonville played well the last 60 min and should have won, or at least tied up the game. they were so many headers and shots that were just wide, and the pk miss. it was all very unlucky. centennial probably had maybe a couple shots in the second half, but nothing too serious. hendersonville possessed the ball and kept pounding away. it was just one of those games. im not knocking centennial, theyre a pretty good team and played hard but i feel hendersonville was superior. i spoke with a couple of centennial's players after the game and they said they were extremely lucky to make it out of the game winning 3-2.

i feel we werent prepared for this game, too busy looking ahead. ive never played with a group of people that cared so much, especially the seniors. to go out like this is unbearable. my season was up and down, mostly down though. i hope to play better next year, we'll still be a pretty good team. im looking forward to it. good luck to centennial against bearden, you guys played well tonight.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well he feels hendersonville should have won, and from what i have heard that statement is pretty accurate with what a lot of people at the game thought. I hear Centennial was heavily outplayed, and this guy was just stating that, he wasnt making excuses.

Ok, Mrs Muller, I have to generalize the midfield, because the midfield should work as a unit at all times. I don't think you should talk too much about being dirty, because I recall a certain Centennial player kicking a Franklin player when he was down, but no matter.

When I say lazy, I do not mean that they sit on their butt and watch tv all day. I don;t mean they play lazy the whole game. When I say lazy, I mean not willing to go to the ball. If anything, Andrew is a little overagressive, but he is one player that I always see hussle. I mean the midfield AS A WHOLE, not just one player.

FRAsaves, look to see who started this post. It was I, a fan of Centennial that started it. A true fan accepts weaknesses as well as strengths, and to pretend Centennial is perfect is ludicrous.

Andrew Muller's work ethic is as good as anyone else I have seen. Centennial's desire to win Saturday night was of something I have not seen out of them this season. But once again, I will say that if they want to defeat Bearden High School, midfield AS A WHOLE has to make sure to pressure the ball all 80 minutes. I know they can do this.

I never tried to diminish any of these players. If I had control of an ODP team, I would select at least 5 of these players, if not more. The only way, however, to get better, is to find out what you do weak and improve upon it.

If I said Andrew Muller was lazy, I apologize. You misunderstand what I mean, so I will say it once more. When Centennial's midfield pressured the ball early, Hendersonville became frusterated and lost focus. Centennial played brilliantly for 30 minutes in the 1st half. After the 3rd goal, it seemed to me that the WHOLE of the team laid back on the pressure, and this caused attacks from Hendersonville. It's not all midfield though; on the contrary, it is a team game, and other parts of the teams come into play.

Goodluck to Centennial at state, and I hope you do well.

Please, email me to let me know who you are...I'm not trying to defend just my son -- just know how hard he's worked and you did say "it's a matter of laziness" maybe a poor choice of words on your part that you didn't mean...I understand you're point of view!

Also, whoever said they're glad their mom doesn't do this, well, what can I say...I'm an athlete myself and feel very capable of handle this forum.

We did have a kick at another player in Franklin's game, but the rough up before the kick didn't count now did it...a take down on the field...ref didn't see either. Also, the punches that were given on the other end...it's soccer.

I'm not sure if you've graduated or decided to sit out, but either way...I know you're proud of the guys, but reading into your posts, sounds like you're a little "wishful" that you were out there as well.

There are a couple of ODP players on the team...just to let you know!

MrFun,

Were you at the game? Guess not, because Centennial was NOT outplayed. They played their hearts out and unfortunately HHS cannot handle defeat! Their fans were poor sports and sounds like they feel like they did play better, but that's not the case!!!

Maybe you shouldn't go by second-hand info!!!

Centennial 3, Hendersonville 2...

The overriding factor in the game was Hendersonville's sloppy and tentative defense, which has been suspect all year and was even moreso Saturday evening. To counteract that, Hendersonville's offense produces a lot of goals; they have to offset the weaker part of their game. Ever heard the saying "the best defense is a good offense?" Hendersonville operated on that phrase the whole season. That's what good teams do: offset their weak game by overemphasizing their strong. The first two goals that Centennial scored were completely the result of sloppy defending on Hendersonville's part. The first, the defender dinked around with the ball in the back and was stripped, leaving the Centennial player with an almost open net. The second goal, scored by the same player, was off a corner when the ball was bouncing around in the box after a Hendersonville defender failed to clear it properly. A full volley from 6 yards out directly in front of the goal is NOT hard to make. I'll have to give Centennial a lot of credit for the third goal, though. It resulted from a great pass and an even better finish. Low, on the ground (on the wet grass), and right to the far corner.

Donna Muller, Centennial WAS outplayed for 65-70 minutes of the game. You cannot deny that. They played hard and capitalized on all their chances, but they were definitely outplayed. The last 20 minutes of the first half was Hendersonville pounding shots at the goal, forcing Centennial's keeper into some marvelous saves. Then some 80% of the second half was spent in Centennial's defense half of the field. Sure, they got past the half line sometimes and had some near-chances, but they were still outplayed. And whoever said that Hendersonville's goals came from own goals is either blind or lying. The first goal was a half-volley from the edge of the 18 that was still rising when it hit the back of the net. The second goal was a powerful header inside the box. An own goal is when someone scores or deflects (accidently or not) the ball into his own net. See the difference?

Now, Donna, before you get all worked up, this is not to say that Centennial didn't play with heart and enthusiasm or intensity. They did. Much more than Hendersonville did. And that was Hendersonville's problem. Coming into the game 17-0-3 was a double edged sword. On one hand, Hendersonville had the kind of confidence you need to step up in the postseason. On the other hand, having no losses all season gives you a sort of cockiness, albeit warranted, that can lead to complacency and stupid mistakes (see Centennial's first two goals). Others may disagree, but coming into the postseason undefeated is dangerous. If Hendersonville maybe had 1 loss to their name, it could have opened their eyes a little bit and maybe made them play with a little more intensity. For the first 20-30 minutes of the game, Hendersonville could not even come close to matching Centennial's intensity. Unfortunately for Hendersonville, they stepped up a little too late in the first half and didn't get the goal until there were only something like 10 minutes left in the half and had to end the half full of adrenaline and momentum.

And I don't see how you can argue that the second half wasn't all Hendersonville. It was. Centennial's keeper bailed them out BIG TIME, especially saving that PK (although it was a disgusting shot, the keeper guessed the right direction, which is 90% of making the save). Most of the half was played in Centennial's defense third of the field. I counted 9 field players back defending the 18 on numerous occassions. Smart, yes... and definitely being pummeled and outplayed.

Also, Donna, tell me how Hendersonville cannot handle defeat? They all shook hands and all that after the game. What's the problem? The fans were poor sports? Are you kidding? I'd tell you some of the things that Centennial parents were yelling at Hendersonville players (which is the most juvenile thing you can do, by the way), but I'd be banned from this forum. Poor sports? No class? This is coming from someone in the Brentwood/Franklin area? I see... showing class must be throwing trash and athletic tape out of the team bus all in the Hendersonville parking lot as they left the school. Or maybe it was "classy" when the Centennial players were yelling and gesturing (to put it nicely) to the Hendersonville parents and fans as the bus drove away. But I think it was really shown when the Centennial bus stopped in front of the Hendersonville soccer locker room and blew the horn and yelled. Now THAT will put a smile on your face. "I'm proud of you, son." Indeed. All those things did happen, and yes I was there to see them first-hand.

Yes, Centennial played with more heart than Hendersonville, yes they outhustled and outworked them for a while and packed it in the box and played hard-nosed defense when it counted, but don't tell me they are poor sports or something like that. Don't give me that crap. Neither team has anything to be ashamed of from the outcome of that game, but come on, Donna... we're all adults, right?

I said the fans were poor sports (yelling obscenities from the stands) not the players...so back off.

We could get into, they did this, and you did that, but there were some things done from the HHS fans to the CHS players, too. It's mysay vs. yoursay...

So, I guess the only thing that matters is the score...enough said!

Enough said, well put. Centennial should put Hendersonville out of their minds and concentrate on Bearden. Hopefully Columbia and Centennial will get a chance to play each other. Should be a good game if we do. Like Ive said before Im glad Centennial and Columbia advanced to state. Maybe we can capture some of the spotlight from Brentwood and Franklin. Good luck, Centennial.

Edited by Yankee0697

And whoever said that Hendersonville's goals came from own goals is either blind or lying. The first goal was a half-volley from the edge of the 18 that was still rising when it hit the back of the net. . An own goal is when someone scores or deflects (accidently or not) the ball into his own net. See the difference?

I am the keeper for Centennial and the first goal was deflected the opposite direction by one of our defenders. I had dove the direction of the ball and one of my defenders instinctively raised his leg misdirecting the ball to the opposite corner.

The second goal was a firmly hit header from 6 yds, Kudos to who ever scored that. It was a good shot