Houston's Stuart Pomeranz

HiwasseeVol

He's 6'7" and 230 pounds and cranked out 91 MPH fastballs consistently in 2003. Scouts have him projected to be the #1 draft pick out of high school in Tennessee and if the money isn't right he will spend next year at Chipola JC in Florida and hone his tallent.

Stuart rarely allows more hits than can be kept on one hand and usually has double digit strikeouts every game on his way to his undefeated season on the mound for Houston. I believe that last time I checked he had only two earned runs all year.

He's rated the #25 best baseball player in the nation in the 2003 class and the #7 best right handed pitcher and was a member of the Dulin's Dodgers.

The Farragut HS hitters will have their hands full in this opening game that looks to be a low scoring affair that might have to go to extra innings to determine a winner. Ist round games like this matchup don't happen to often, I wish it was on the tube. :D

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'HV' - I got to see him up close at the USA Classic this spring. I saw him and a pitcher for Miami Senior go pitch-for-pitch.. Each had a perfect game thru 5, each had 1 walk in the 6th and each allowed one hit in the 7th. The Miami pitcher, just a freshman, tired and give up 3 runs in the top of the 8th. Pomerantz set down the side on 2 of his 19 Ks in the bottom of the 8th.

It was like a movie ya see on TV. There was about a dozen or more scouts there on the bleachers

behind home plate with us and on every pitch their arms would go up, they would aim, and then

their arms would go down again. The most impressive thing about both pitchers? I think one ball

hit the dirt behind the plate the entire game. And I saw a Miami Sr. player square to bunt, get

hit in the chest with a 92mph fastball, start to first (after waiting for the ball to roll out of his chest)

only to be told to get back in the box, it was a strike.... Pomerantz is one of the best I have ever

had the good fortune to see....

One monkey won't stop the show. I saw Farragut play an exhibition game against the Atlanta Braves, and they beat them 15-0. There were fifty scouts clocking the Farragut pitchers. One of their pitchers was clocked at 99 mph. Did I forget to mention that he was pitching with a broken hand and ankle as well as with a blindfold on? Farragut's cleanup hitter hit a 500 foot blast, opposite field. After this game, MLB began talks of moving the Expos to Farragut. Houston has nothing on that.

I didn't get much information on Stuart except Farragut got 5 hits of him. 2 RBI triple by Michael Mckenry (MTSU signee), a double by Tony Delmonico, singles by lead off Harrison Eldridge, Parker Woodruf and bunt single by Philip Sherrard. Farragut scored their 3 runs in the 3rd inning. Craig Cobb stayed undefeated at 12-0 as he threw a 3 hit shutout for Farragut (5K's 1 BB, 82 pitches).

Congrats Admirals

I didn't get much information on Stuart except Farragut got 5 hits of him. 2 RBI triple by Michael Mckenry (MTSU signee), a double by Tony Delmonico, singles by lead off Harrison Eldridge, Parker Woodruf and bunt single by Philip Sherrard. Farragut scored their 3 runs in the 3rd inning. Craig Cobb stayed undefeated at 12-0 as he threw a 3 hit shutout for Farragut (5K's 1 BB, 82 pitches).

Congrats Admirals

Delmonico's was an error on the LF, not a double...it was four hits for Farragut.

Pomeranz struck out eight to ten, I wasn't counting but I know he had at least eight.

This game came down to the number two. Houston, in the top of the third, had a runner on first and one of their batters hit almost the exact same ball, but it was foul by two inches.

Pomeranz threw a fastball about two inches too far inside with one out in the third, hitting the batter. Then he walked the next guy on four pitches, two of which weren't close and two were. Then McKenry hit a fly ball into the RF corner that was fair by about two feet.

To give you an idea how dominant both pitchers were...there wasn't a single ball pulled, fair, and in the air. A Houston batter pulled a couple of liners foul, and there were a few grounders pulled...but everything was either hit up the middle or the other way.

Opperman,

It must have been Coach Rod Delmonico that reported the 2B for Tony. :D

lol probably so.

It was a fairly routine fly ball to left, about three steps from where the LF was...he breaks out, then back in, and misses it by about a foot. Ended up not mattering, as he was stranded at second.

The box hasn't been posted yet, but I know they announced three runs on four hits over the PA, and that was the only ball I can remember that could have been either-way as far as hit/error. Houston's 3B had an error too, throwing wild enough to turn a 5-3 groundout into a runner on third...but if they ruled that a hit, they need to be ridiculed and scorned. :)

And BTW, I'm absolutely not a Houston fan...there's a short list of schools/programs I just don't like, and they're on it. Nothing against Coach McCarter, it's more a case of football and soccer souring me on the athletics program as a whole.

To be specific there were 7 K's by Pomeranz. He is indeed a quality pitcher......my only disagreement with you Opperman is it was indeed a double (called thusly by the offical Memphis scorer)....the kid played a hard hit banana ball poorly, got turned around but he never touched it.......as to the close pitches.....granted the ump was consistent but to several unbiased (no dog in the hunt) folks from the Memphis contengient around us they said they believed he was getting 3/4" outside allday.....but as I said, the ump was consistent, so no complaints from Farragut.

As to dominating Pomeranz, no way. He threw very well and is a teriffic prospect....on another day there might have been a different outcome...but today was Farragut's, they did what they needed to do to win. Also, for every kudo that has been for Pomeranz.... I sure hope the Memphis press is as kind and flatering to Craig Cobb.....who outpitched him today.