Siegel News?

StopNGo

I have to agree that the hatred between Blackman and Riverdale is very intense. The hatred in the air before the playoff game last year was unbelievable, when the teams looked like they might fight on the fifty yard line. When I saw all that I knew it was going to be a great game.

Also I heard that Eric Locke's younger brother will be at Seigal the next few years. I have heard he is going to be very good too. Someone to watch.

Edited by mynameis

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Oakland

man i am sorry region4, but i just couldnt keep quiet on this one. i am oakland through and through and i cant stand it everytime we lose to riverdale, i hate their guts. I go into depression when lose to those guys, it is a constant obsession to beat riverdale everytime out. i remember in 1999, when we finished 6-5, but beat riverdale that year, that felt almost as good as winning state. but to say oakland and riverdale's has mellowed out and to say is more intense is just plain ridiculous, cuz blackman has never beaten riverdale, so they may hate them, but they will never understand their shear intensity and rivalry of the hate until they finally beat riverdale, which may take a long time.

Fellows this misunderstanding has went on long enough! It's not that we at Blackman hate Riverdale or the players, it's the head guy and some of his yes men that we dispise! But hey we're just a few of many in the Rankins haters club! Anybody that knows the young men on the three Boro football teams knows that most of them are related or have played some kind of sports with each other at one time or another growing up and are friends mostly off the field! Don't get me wrong we want to whoop Riverdale more than anything in every sport just like everybody else in the state does, but that's competitive spirit not hatred! Anybody that stays after the Boro schools games will see alot of hand shaking and hugging going on between each teams players! "HATE" man that's a very stong word! If you use this word you should step back and think about what it stands for and think of the things that has gone on the past couple of years, not only too you but the world in general! When I think of high school football the main word that comes to mind is "LOVE", of the game, coachs, players, fans, and most of all the comradery we all share b/c of this great game! For me there is no room for "hatred" when it comes to sports and youth! There is way to much of this taught in the world already! Sorry but this stupid thing about Blackman and the rest of the schools hating each other has gone on long enough and it just struck a nerve with me! A good "rivalry" doesn't have to mean "hate" but just good clean "competitive spirit!" "That's my opinion and it ought to be yours!" (lol) :justwrestle:

A team united by their hate for another school? That won't take you very far.

This is the most unhealthy of rivalries for Siegel and Blackman. While Riverdale and Oakland focus on getting back to the Clinic Bowl Siegel and Blackman just focus on Riverdale?

I think all would be better served by focusing on positive, long-term team goals. Typically, all the negative goals do is put a team in a position to come apart at the first sign of adversity.

Blackman's day will come. Oakland has already been to the mountain-top. Siegel still has lots of dues to pay. Riverdale has paid its dues, is well coached, has tradition, and believes they will win every game. Until that foundation begins to wear away using your pefromnace against Riverdale as the measure of you success is a formula for disappointment. Every team should have three goals.

1. Make the playoffs

2. Win the region

3. Win the state championship

I bet you those are Riverdale's goals. Who you have to play, and beat, on the way is just incidental. Every game, especially a region game, is of equal importance--almost. :justwrestle:

OK...now I have that off my chest....

I'm relatively new to this area (4 years).

Why is Coach Rankin hated by so many? I know that he tends not to let up after a team has been beaten. I think it is all about preparing for the playoffs with him. Yes, I've seen him throw long late in the game when leading by 30 but I've also seen him throw the ball in the flats when he should be running out the clock. My take is that he ignores the situation and just uses every play as an opportunity to get better...

I know he is a christian man that is in church with his family most every Sunday. I can testify to that.

Is there some other history that I am not aware of?

Thanks...

Guest region4fan

In years past, Rankin would run the score up on much weaker opponents that he probably had no business playing. He was known for having fits on the sidelines with some bench kicking and some clip-board throwing. He was very arrogant with his victories...both in the newspapers and on the tube. He was ruthless in game situations and with "certain players from other schools."However, I think that he has really mellowed out. He has found that many of his coaches aren't as loyal as he thought, and his players left with rings on their fingers, but hating their coach. Now he is letting the kids have some fun and giving some much deserved credit to his assistant coaches. I think that he is a happier man. My take on this change is having a son himself and seeing what an indifferent adult can do to a child's self-esteem. I am also hoping that the LORD had something to do with it too.

Now there are still some that desise the man, but I think it is simply jealousy for what the man has accomplished in his dynasty at Riverdale. Me, he doesn't bother me at all. We want to beat them and beat them soundly.

You have got to be kidding me. Run em up Rankin....i talk to people all the time that played for him, and they hated him. i several people that quit his team b/c he was telling them what they could and couldnt do in their spare time. i'll never forget after the game in 1997, when the game was over and rhs won, he refused to shake our coaches hand. he said it had nothing to do with the team, that it was something personal and he wouldnt shake his hand. i am sorry, but if ur gonna coach, u put ur personal differences aside and atleast shake the opposing coaches hand. Now, maybe he has changed as of recent, but i still talk to kids who hated playing for him.

I dont know how u say u hold him in higher standards than most, if not all other coaches in murfreesboro....thats only 2 other coaches, Alsup, and the great Coach Euverard. seems to me thats a lil wrong

Have to admit I was a little uncomfortable with some of the scores over the last couple years.

Olineathlete and Fullback 49, let me ask you a question since both of you have played recently or are playing now. Say you are a starter and almost every week you get pulled out midway through the second quarter because your team has built a 3-4 touchdown lead, how happy are you going to be? You're a senior and you barely get to play enough to earn a letter. Or you could just run the ball up the middle for two and a half quarters...that's a lot of fun. Just saying there is a flip-side to the running up the score thing. If I'm a senior I want to play at least 3 quarters of every game. If I am a coach, I know that the best practice I get will come on Friday nights.

That said, I would like to see Coach Rankin get some of the younger guys more playing time.

Players represent a school. I don't see a problem with the coach asking a lot of them both on and off the field. That is part of the price you pay.

It's just my opinion. And with the amount of time I've spent with (let's just use school names) Riverdale, Oakland and Blackman. Riverdale coaches have been the friendliest. Again, this is just one man's opinion. And opinions are like buttholes, everyone's got one.