Siegel News?

StopNGo

TDCman, I see your point. If that happened every single game then yea it would get to me a little but not alot. See, if i took part in building up that lead then i would be happy. But usually after halftime, the coaches put back in the starters. I think that its all good as long as you walk out victorious on that friday night. Now i no that not everybody feels this way but its just my opinion.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

region4fan, I started at guard for Blackman last year. You wouldn't believe how much we HATE riverdale. I don't hate any individual on the team, just the team as a whole. The funny thing is, I was a huge riverdale fan growing up. My parents took me to all the games from the early 90's up until I played there my freshman year (1999-2000). In only 2 years, we have almost gotten into fights before the game twice because we jumped on their "R."

olineathlete, when I played at riverdale my freshman year, I was good enough at guard that coach rankin came to me one day in weight lifting class and told me he wanted to move me and several other players up to varsity. Coach Watson even let some of us play a little. But any way, just about all the other varsity players talked to me about how much they hated coach rankin. I also can say that I don't like the man. I remember in 1997 when they won state, he wouldn't let a few of the players have their rings and jackets until the end of the school year when everyone else got theirs earlier. He wouldn't let them have them because they weren't going to play for him the next year. This story was in the Daily News Journal that year.

Edited by bhsOL

Hey BHSOl,iknow one of those guys.His name was Troy Broughton, he went with my family to the beach in 98...anyway, that point is moot. He moved, and was transferring, and apparently(this is what troy said, dont know if its true, probably not, but....), troy had signed a contract saying if he transferred, then he wouldnt get his ring or jacket. anyway, he had to move, so coach rankin was gonna keep the ring and jacket he had earned...needless to say he got it, came to oakland, and started on the 98 state championship team. any way, tdcman, i know what ur saying. but rankin leaves his starters in if hes up by like 4 touchdowns until like 1 min. left in the game.

Another thing i heard, dont know if its true, was my freshman year, when riverdale beat us 58-0(and it was as ugly as it sounds)..anyway, i heard rankin told the freshman coach not to take out the starters until the final 2 minutes....and he didnt....also, in 97, after riverdale had won, his team walked past the oakland bus bad mouthing our coaches, our players, our whole program, with rankin right there, and he did NOTHING about it.

olineathlete, i no how u feel. I played for the blackman freshman team and we got straight up murdered. 70-6. I am good friends with just about every starter on riverdales freshman team because i played with them at central. Anyways not one second string man got to play a single second. The freshman coach wanted us beat as badly as possible jus because we represented blackman.

That is not true from what I heard. I asked because I was skeptical after hearing the score and I was told that every player Riverdale had, including a mentally retarded kid got to play. I was told Blackman threw 2 or 3 interceptions that were returned for touchdowns and had 2 or 3 punts returned for touchdowns and had a fumble recovery for a touchdown. I was appauled when I heard the score, so I wanted to find out the story. I went to the coaches and asked them.

Edited by Croach

i am telling u my freshman year, 4 years ago, 5 football seasons ago, if u count this year, its true. we had a guy transfer and he told me. i really dont like gary rankin. he tries to run the score up. i dont know if ur talkin about the mentally challenged kid when iplayed a few years back, but i now thats not true. the year rico played on their freshman squad, they left thei starters in till the last 2 minutes

Guest Oakland

yeah jp is right, i remember watching that game as a freshmen, they barely let the reseves play, although our freshmen sucked that year, riverdale had no right to run it up like that, that my friend is why there is so much hatred for gary rankin in these parts.

Coach Rankin must be doing something right. Excuse my ignorance on some of these subjects but does he also coach the freshman team?

I think Coach Rankin may be a bit enamored with the national rankings and hence the tendancy to put up big scores. It also should be noted that when Ralph King was there they were as likely to score on a plunge up the middle from 50 yards out as they were on bomb to Taron. Against some of the teams I've seen them play scoring was pretty unavoidable. Some teams just come apart at the seems.

Take Blackman for instance. They were perfectly capable of playing Riverdale to the wire and almost winning as they did in the playoffs. Still they got blew out by Riverdale earlier in the year, 45-6 I think. It's hard for me to fault Coach Rankin for that. The opposing team has an obligation to play.

One last thing, and I'm sure this subject has already been beaten to death, Blackman needs to keep the rivalry on the field.

I know this is an opposing viewpoint but as I said in the beginning he must be doing something right.

Say what you like about Coach Rankin his record speakes for it's self.As for past players who do not like him that can be said about any high school coach in any sport.

The fact of the matter is he simply out works his compitition year in and year out.

Just be glad if you play in the same district as coach Rankin because he has raised the standard for High School Football in this area and the whole state.

If you hate him then you better work you butt off to beat him because you can be sure thats what he is doing.

And don't expect his players to stop playing just because the the guys on the other side have.

Go Riverdale.Make it 4 in a row. ;):D:)B)