Cheerleaders for Wrestlers

morelanmn

Why is their so few cheerleaders for wrestling teams?

Football & Basketball are not the only school sports. I do know that

some coachs dont like cheerleaders at the meets but, the few

schools that have wrestling cheerleaders always seem more intense.

thanks

Michael Morelan :)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whew!! What an annoyance! (Of course, this is my own opinion, so please, don't stone me!) I think that in Clarksville there are no "wrestling cheerleaders". No, wait. I take that back. I think Northeast High in Clarksville has them. Wrestling cheerleaders are annoying. They beat on the floor/mat and make such a racket that the wrestler cannot hear instruction from the coach. I have heard this comment made by many, many wrestlers. Unlike basketball/football cheerleaders, wrestling cheerleaders (at least the ones I have seen) are not facing the crowd trying to get the crowd involved. THEY BEAT ON THE MAT!!! Like the mat will respond, or something! If there are going to be wrestling cheerleaders, I would rather see them on the sideline or in the crowd or something, actually leading the cheers, getting the crowd involved! At that time, I would support wrestling cheerleaders. Remember it is my opinion. B)

Personally cheerleaders kinda annoy me, no offense! Really they don't seem to pump up the crowd too much and at times all they do is get in the way. I go to see a game, I pay my 5 bucks to see football players bust heads and basketball players dunk, not cheerleaders chant. Sure they are athletic and talented, but I would rather they have their own sporting event. I think they're fine at pep-rallys and other school events, but I don't like them at games. Same with wrestling, I want to watch a wrestling match, I want to hear the guys giving it all they've got and I want to hear the CROWD cheering for their favorite, not a groupd of uninterested girls cheering on some guy they probably don't even know! Now I was most school spirited for my school this year and I know that my friends and I were louder and more entertaining than the cheerleaders. I bet if you ask someone something about of the the games that stuck out in their mind, other than the game, they'd say something about me. B) I also know that I got more fans pumped about the game than the cheerleaders did. Now I don't think cheerleaders are stupid or anything, but I do think they are pointless at games, for one: they only watch half the game, for two: they don't work, for three: some of them hardly understand the game they're watching others don't understand it at all. Not to mention that, most cheerleaders don't really care about the game. Now our cheerleaders work on part time schedule if you will. Half work one game and half the next. Well when there is a game that the cheerleaders have off they hardly ever come as fans, and if they do its more of a social event than a sporting event. So I say, the less cheerleaders at sporting events the better. I think that the cheerleaders at things like wrestling matches and track meets and so on should be the other wrestlers and track athletes. They atleast know the people they're cheering for, and they are cheering because they actually want them to win, not because it boosts their social life!

WOW,, you would have thought I was called for stalling.

I do belive that they would be a asset to the sport of wrestling.

If they cause confusion with a opponinant, that is a advantage.

If they bring more people to the matches, that is a advantage.

If their family bring younger kids to the matches, that may be

your schools newest wrestler.

If they get more students interested from the school, thats a advantage.

As for their lack of knowlage about wrestling, thats will change.

Thanks

Michael Morelan

You may get an advantage crom their cheering, but then again you may get a disadvantage just as bad. Cheerleaders have also been cheering for football and basketball since, well forever, and theys till don't undertand the sports entirely. They may have younger brothers that come, but thats not to say that they will ever become wrestlers, I mean they could juyst as well become cheerleaders. I don't really understand how much crowd involvement can help in wrestling, after all, you're only as good as you've trained to be or as you've worked out to be. So I think the best way to get crowd involvement, if you want it is to get a couple of guys to go to the matches and make a buncha noise. My friends and I, 4 of us, went to all the Volleyball games this year and made shirts and stuff. Then when we got there we did all sorts of stuff to get people to be loud and have them laugh at us. We started the wave and wen the volleyball team won, we joined in their team celebration. We dressed goofy, wearing high knee socks and wearing REF shirts. So if you want wrestling to be more rowdy get some friends to go a little bit crazy at the matches. The good fans along with the good team will attract more people therefore producing future wrestlers, or fans, but of which are good.

If the NCAA counts cheerleading as a sport, then Kentucky will skyrocket in the overall rankings! ;) Considering they are awesome and they have won 12 national championships, they had won 8 in a row, until this year when they were runners-up. I like cheerleaders, if they are in their own venue and competitions. I think they are just a waste at other athletic events, other than halftime or timeout.

I agree totally with MaryvilleRebels. I have been to many football & soccer games where kids come ready to cheer their team on by crazy clothing, crazy hair, face & body paint, etc. They get the crowd more into it than the cheerleaders do! Sorry, but I will never like or care for wrestling cheerleaders. It is more fun for the crowd, when you have students get involved and help cheer on the wrestlers. Sorry to those of you I offend. It is just my opinion.

Andy by the way, why isn't cheerleading being considered a sport for far as Title IX goes? Anyone know? :rolleyes:

I think the reason there are so much less wrestling cheerleaders than regular ones is- who in their right mind would want to be called a "mat maid". They get very little recognition (which is understandable-they dont do anything) and if Iw as one- it would make me mad. But im not and never will be. to most people their nothing but an annoyance, and at least regular cheerleaders stand up to yell.