Cheerleaders for Wrestlers

morelanmn

Just wrestle, I read the information about cheerleading not being a collage sport

on The Mat site under Title IX. I tried to look it up for you but they have over 2,100

post and articals on Title IX. IF you want to look its themat.com

NCAA said it wasn't a sport not the wrestlers. :)

thanks

Michael Morelan

Edited by morelanmn

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a cheerleading for two years and a soccer player since i was 3 and i know for a fact that when i go to a practice in a gym with tumbling tracks and competition floors you have to exhibit athletic ability that many football, basketball, and surely, baseball players cannot possibly match up to. I'm a guy and i would always stunt and tumble. Those are the things i liked in cheerleading but when we had to yell on the sidelines that's the part that isn't athletic and not fun for me. Somtimes is an acceptable answer for this question casue there are aspects of cheerleading that make it a sport yet there are many that don't make it a sport.

As for the college thing i don't know if it's an offical sprt but it gives very good scholarships so who cares if it's considered a sport or not?

Finhead,

It's very important. The NCAA does "unique" things with the counting of

the students in sports. Without cheerleading being a sport it allows collages

to give scholarships that are not counted toward Title IX complince. Thus

removing sports for men. But the NCAA also doesn't consender any sport

to be both for men and women. So if a woman becomes the kicker on a football team she is counted as a man. True this is very rare, but if Cheerleading is

counted as a sport that process will make the numbers in Title IX more

accurate. Who knows one day the NCAA may count you as a woman athlete.

To get back to Cheerleaders for wrestling. Cheerleaders bring people to

matches.. more people watching the more people will be exposed to the sport.

Michael Morelan

Edited by morelanmn

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I agree with portions of each of these posts. We have a growing wrestling program and our cheerleaders & parents have done a great deal of work to help us at all our events. Without their help, I do not believe we would have been as successful as we have been. Our boosters see this group of youth as one team, it's all for one and one for all in our book.

I also agree with the issues raised about them being at the matside. Our girls have been asked to move at more than one event each year. For some reason, they do not feel that they can lead the cheers from the stands. When we are at large tournaments I would prefer them to cheer from the stands as a group, than to be running up and down the stands to the floor. There is so much congestion on the floor already.

Our girls do know about the sport, they are all taught how to keep score, statistics, run clocks, referee signals, etc. At times when our club has traveled to another tournament, it is not uncommon for our sponsors to be contacted to see if our girls can help out for an hour or so, so their workers can get a lunch break.

Sun..seems to me like they are little slaves more or less. They are taught how to do stuff and they make them do this and that. Why do they cheer at all? Does it really help you any? Do you really hear the roar of the crowd, do you really hear the cheers? I know when I play basketball the fans only exsist when I am sitting the bench, shooting a free throw, and after the game. Every other time during the game they are just background noise.