Cheerleaders for Wrestlers

morelanmn

Why should it change depending on the sport? I play baseball too and I don't hear the crowd when hitting. Only when I am in the dugout do I hear the crowd, there are times during the game I hear the crowd, but only when I am not focused. I imagine that wretstling you should be wrapped up in concentrating on what you're doing, not something you can't control, like the crowd noise.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

never cheered at a wrestling match, but don't think i'd want too. as with most sports, the main focus is on the match, but in football and basketball there are other things to pay attention too, if you as a fan choose to. wrestling matches are usually in the dark towards the finals and only a spot on the center mat for people to focus on. in the early round of tourneys, and id imagine at matches, there are several matches going on at once, and no room for anything else

to me, cheering for wrestling is a waste. its nice to know that we have support but the cheerleaders need to learn a little bit about wrestling first. yelling for a takedown while we are on our back isnt appropriate. i would rather them sit at home if they arent gonna cheer because most of them dont really want to be there anyways.

I don't think cheering for wrestling is a good idea. I personally don't mind doing it, but most of the girls on my squad hate it. But like fluddanzr said, I know nothing about wrestling. When I cheer at wrestling matches I feel like I am just in the way and being a distraction. Some wrestlers have told me that we DO get in the way, and when we are banging on the mats they sometimes confuse it with the refs. But the coaches want us there, so we gotta do it, sorry to all the wrestlers who think it is stupid and wish we wouldn't come.

I think that most coaches would take fans over cheerleaders anyday. As a fan you can be a little more politically incorrect and you can get in someones head a lot easier. Cheeleaders really serve no point when cheering, sorry to say. They don't do anything to fire up fans or players, they just make background noise, not good background noise either.

I'm really impressed that a lot of your schools have even considered having cheerleaders for wrestling. At my school, the wrestling program is not very big at all. there are probably only about 50 people at the most who come to a lot of the matches. Although my squad as never been to cheer at one of them, i don't think i would like it simply because the lack of fans.

• 2 weeks later...

"WOOOH HOOOOOO GO WRESTLERS" nah, im just not following you. as a wrestler, there is a certain brutality to the sport (somewhat like how football used to be before cheerleaders were introduced) and this brutality cannot be soften up by a bunch of beauty queens dancing around. it just dont work. but thanks anyway.

While reading all this I relize all people are different. But I also relize people

think because someone does one thing they cannot do another. Well my daughter

was a cheerleader, she was the voted to be the Captain,, she does ballett, she even was in a show by the Knoxville Ballett Company, she had done tallent

shows and modling. She was asked to do a modling show last week. But she

also is a wrestler on a highschool team, she wrestlers AAU and USA. She also

came close to making the state in highschool last year. Several time she won her first match and then have no one wrestler her later in a tourny. I am not saying

cheerleaders should wrestle, but if you welcome and want to involve the cheerleaders you would gain support for wrestling and the cheerleaders will gain also.

Michael Morelan

Edited by morelanmn