Powell football

red dog

Placall - There is a local landscaping company in Powell who has stepped up and offered to keep the fields in shape. I don't believe there will be any drop off at all.

The other two candidates who have interviewed are Kevin Julian of Halls and Jeff McMillen of Central, according to my sources.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Coach Stephens going to get the job or not? Some guy says he is a lock and then HTV says he is just the leading candidate. Later in the posts, we say that Coach Stephens will be a county commissioner when he accepts the head coaching position? Coach Stephens being a "lock" has been touted on this board for almost a week. Is the job his or not?

Another question floated into my small mind. If the prinicipal for PHS knows he is going to hire Coach Stephens, how fair is it to lead these two guys on. Granted I have never interview for a coaching position much less a head coaching position. However, it seems sad that the PHS administration would lead these guys on. They have no shot! When Coach Duncan left they should have just named Coach Stephens the head man.

It's not that simple, RD. The laws of Knox County dealing with hiring government employees say that a job within the school system has to be advertised for ten days before anything can be done to fill the position. That gives all interested parties ten days to apply. The ten days in this case ended last Friday.

I never said that Stephens wasn't going to get the job, in fact i've said here that he likely will from the day Clark resigned.

My point is that until it is official, which I anticipate it to be by tomorrow, I wouldn't call Stephens a lock. He is the leading candidate.

The two other candidates who have been interviewed (Julian and McMillen) know they are long shots to get the job. They are not being led on. They chose to be interviewed, and in the end they will be better off for the experience. Both of those guys will be head coaches sooner rather than later and will benefit from going though the interviewing process at Powell.

RD94--

I would guess that those two guys knew about Larry Stephens and should have known. They applied knowing the situation. I don't think they were led on. Larry has been coaching there for probably around 6-10 years. He has been a head coach at several places, and coached at many different levels of college ball as well. IF you apply then you should expect to be talked to like you might get the job. Have Mcmillen or Julian been coaching for 5 years or more. They should know what kind of situation they are in. Although it sounds like a conflict of interest for him to be a county commisioner, teacher, and Head football coach.

The one really bad thing is the pressure coaching along with the holding of public office.

Stephens has been at Powell for 7 years. Previous to that he coached at Maryville College, Elon College, Eastern Kentucky University, and Heritage High School.

What is the conflict of being elected as a county commissioner and a teacher/coach? A commissioners position is a part time position with a part time salary. Almost everyone who is elected to commission has a full time job. There could be "conflicts between any profession and a commission seat.

I don't see the big deal here. I'm sure if one of the biggest supporters of his county commissioner campaigns happens to increase his contribution if his son becomes a starter on the football team that Coach will tell him to get lost. I just hope that whoever gets the job does away with the "dry-ice" entrance the team makes to the home games and quits playing "Rocky-Top" as if they are the freaking UT Vols. So what if Clark played there, does that really give them permission to copy RT as their official theme song? I'm tired of that crap.

My point was why would you call coaches in to interview for a job that is not open. The KNS came out and said Coach Stephens "probably" is the new head coach. I believe they have to "interview" all who apply. But an interview could simply be a form to fill out--as in the case of transfers within Knox County schools. My point was why waste everyone's time with the song and dance. The prinicipals know who they are going to hire, the coaches (as you say) know they are not going to get hired...why bother

I agree that being a county commissioner and a teacher is a conflict of interest. Those who are (not just Coach Stephens) say they "take their teacher/coach hats off when they have commission meetings.

HTV--Is Duncan still involved with the Powell staff at all? Who is his choice on the new head coach? It seems as if the Powell Administration is dragging its feet. Will this not hurt the team by taking so long? Is Stephens at helm until one is named?