mid america summer hoops classic

Just to update what some memphis area and other tennessee high schools did this past weekend in Murray,Kentucky

The Four bracket winners were Raleigh Egypt, Bradley Central, Cairo,IL and White Station.

Semifinals:

Bradley Central def. Cairo 62-39

White Station def. Raleigh Egypt 52-39

Finals:

White Station def. Bradley Central 70-58

Other Tennessee teams involved:

Riverdale-Lost to Cairo in Bracket A Final 49-47

Union City-lost in 1st round of Bracket A

Gallatin-lost in Bracket A Quarters

Briarcrest-lost to Bradley Central 40-32 in Bracket B semis

Harding-lost to Briarcrest in Bracket B Quarters 51-45

Ridgeway-lost to Bradley Central in Bracket B Final 60-49

Austin-East-lost to Chicago Crane 53-40 in Bracket C Quarters

Bartlett-advanced to Bracket D semis,but left early

Edited by bigshowchamp

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raleigh Egypt defeated Bradley Central 54-32 in a game on Saturday night of the tournament. Bradley was without their best player, Hare, as was Raleigh Egypt without starting point guard Rico Seay. Filling in for Seay was freshman point guard sensation, Mo Miller. The top two teams in this tournament were White Station and Raleigh Egypt. This was a get even game for White Station since Raleigh Egypt beat them three weeks ago in summer league championship (with Seay of course).

Opp,

I only watched Bartlett briefly but I do know they were missing one of their players. The big power forward whose name slips my mind right now. They played well, as do they always. They may be a little short on talented players but Hubie always keeps them in the game with excellent coaching. John Harrington's team at Briarcrest looked pretty good also. I think he told me all of his players were back from last year, and they have Greg Tucker's cousin (who is a WHOPPER!) in the middle. With good scheduling, both teams could have 20+wins seasons.

Courtney Pigram of Memphis White Station was impressive. Of all the players there he really stood out to me. JP Prince is a great talent. I expected to see big things from Jonathon Ball but in the games I watched he didn't really stand out. Someone said he may have been hampered by a slight injury while in Murray.

Pigram has such a smooth shot. He reminded me a little of former White Station star Earnest Shelton with his shooting touch. The thing that may hurt him is his size. Anyone know who is recruiting him?

Pigram is getting a ton of Mid Major D-1 looks right now. His size may keep him from playing High Major ball, but there is not a better pure scorer in the state. Pigram reminds me of Oklahoma All-american Hollis Price, as both are undersized 2G's at 6'0, but both have a great feel for the game, the pure ability to make things happen, and a fierce toughness to their all around games... Pigram is the most underrated player in the state (though with his talent, he can't stay 'hidden' for long)...

hey, gomab i have seen two very good guards play courtney pigram is one of them, but the other guard is carlos taylor. i was told he is getting a whole lot of D-1 looks... but my question to you is who is better? many people have given the edge to carlos

I like Carlos. I think he is a very good player with a chance at playing D-1 ball...

Though these two players are very different (Pigram is a 2G and Taylor is a PG), I'll give the edge to Pigram for a few distinct reasons. First and foremost, Pigram is an outstanding shooter. Secondly, I feel Pigram's intangible feel for the game is something that sets him apart from most players, and allows him to be the best pure scorer in the state. Thirdly, Pirgam's pure exlposiveness separates him from other sweet shooting wings. Also, Pigram's athletic ability and extensively long arms makes it seem like he is a 6'4 G...

i respect that, but carlos is taller and bigger than pigram, carlos is also rated the top shooter in memphis, but i would think since carlos has a more all around game that he would be better, alot of people believe that carlos should be a top 5-10 in state,but pigram is not far behind in my book. and rumor is carlos will be committing to memphis or vanderbilt after the 17 nationals