best teams in tn history

BigTommy

Before the present Chattanooga Central was built they had some awesome teams. Maybe some of the older folks in the Chattanooga area can help us out about years and records. I believe in the 1950's and 1960's there records would rival anyone in the state of Tennessee including those mentioned earlier.

I don't know about the Mur. Central team in 69 and 70 I'm sure they were good.

But, if I rated the top 10 teams in Tennessee high school football history this would

be them but, I'm not listing them in any particular order, just the top ten.

1. Bristol 70-71 didn't even have a close game all year.

2. Gallantin 78-79 super strong team.

3. Baylor 72-73 Etter's national championship team.

4. Maryville the last three years - what a tradition - history of winning!

5. Red Bank 2001 state champions - this might be the best team ever!!!

Any time you beat Riverdale by three touchdowns in the snow- that ain't

bad - this team had no close games as well!!!

6. Riverdale team of 94 - super balance - just a super team!!!

7. Oak Ridge national championship team in the 80's.

8. Marion County state champions of, I believe 95-96 with Eric Westmoreland

they beat Brentwood Acd. on one of the greatest comebacks ever in the second

half.

9. Chattanooga Central state champions with Bobby Hoppie who signed with

Auburn!

10. McCallie state champions two years ago with Ryan Moore as quarterback

what a ball team, super balance. I saw all of the above teams play - hard to

beat any of them.

The most impressive team I have seen was Cleveland in 93.

Cleveland's run from 93-96 was the greatest in Tennessee High School history. 56 straight wins. That is awesome. They beat some great teams in that run.

Maryville has won 26 straight games. They would have to go 15-0 the next 2 seasons to tie Clevelands record. I would love to see that but it is more than likely that won't happen. There are too many tough teams in 4A to dominate like that.

Lynn Goddard's 1972 Elizabethton Cyclones played that incredible National Champion Bristol team to the bitter end, to include a very controversial punt return for touchdown - called back for clipping - by now Carter County Executive Dale Fair, and would have first-and-goal with under 2 minutes remaining. Yes, the Cyclones obviously came up short, regardless of the controversy. Was at the game, and I'm not an Elizabethton fan, but they were an outstanding team that deserves mention here.

Edited by krichunaka

You guys are too young.

1957 Oak Ridge team with Jackie Pope. Beat an undefeated Chattanooga Central the last game of the season.

1965 BGA waltzed through 11 opponents (before playoffs) Ranked #1 from week one. Some of the victims were Mur. Cental 42-7, Clarksville (then the only hs in Clarksville). Crossville was ranked #2 at seasons end. Tobacco Bowl: BGA 47- Crossville 7. Four BGA players signed with Tennessee, Don Denbo and Steve Robinson both started in off line for the Vols for 3 years.

Nashville Issac Litton 1966