The Magnets Are Rising...

The Commercial Appeal had an article on recruiting earlier today...

The best football player in the state is at Tyner, a magnet school, if I recall.

They can get good very fast, and when they start winning, what will the public supporters do? The accusations will start flying once again...

I can't get to the link right now, we had a huge storm come through here around 730 am or so...many people are dead or without power, including myself, I can post it later. University of Memphis shut down for the entire day. They say there is more damage than the ice storm of '94. I hope everyone around the area and state are okay...but I believe it hit Arkansas worse than us.

Tyner won the state in 1997 before they became a magnet, had 2 of the best 5 players in the state though neither did anything much in college. Being a magnet probably helped them maintain thatlevel. You'd have to compare residences before and after. Brainerd's coach did make a statement in the Chattanooga paper a couple of years ago how a lot of players at Tyner could have been at Brainerd. If that's true Tyner should be in Division II.

Tyner won the state in 1997 before they became a magnet, had 2 of the best 5 players in the state though neither did anything much in college. Being a magnet probably helped them maintain thatlevel. You'd have to compare residences before and after. Brainerd's coach did make a statement in the Chattanooga paper a couple of years ago how a lot of players at Tyner could have been at Brainerd. If that's true Tyner should be in Division II.

Indian...the point is that Tyner can get kids from all over Hamilton County. It shouldn`t even matter how good or bad they are in sports, because this certainly isn`t the criteria that was used with private schools.

Good football players come from all over the county (and maybe north Georgia) to play for one of the best coaches in the city. The school is predominately black. The coach is white. Tyner plays McCallie and Baylor every year. When Wayne Turner, Tyner's coach, is asked why, he always responds he wants to play the best. Last year for the first time ever, Tyner upset McCallie first game of the season. Wayne's a quality quy.

Brainerd's basketball coach complained last year that Notre Dame was getting the good players from Dalewood Middle School which as everyone knew "was Brainerd's feeder school". Guess no one told the students that they were "owned" by Brainerd. Brainerd showed Notre Dame who was boss by cancelling a 40 year+ basketball rivalry.

Edited by takedown3

Players do not really come to Tyner from all over the county and especially not north Georgia. Coach Turner really doesn't care who comes to Tyner, he has never made an effort to recruit or even be nice to anyone. If anything a lot of players see his mannerism at practice and quit the team. You would have to live in the Tyner area to truly understand the school zoning. When I played there I was zoned for Tyner, now I would be zoned for Central if I was still in school. Have you ever wondered why Central's basketball team went to state the year after Tyner became a magnet school. The year before I graduated several people who lived about 5 minutes away from the school were rezoned for Ooltewah, which was about 15-20 minutes away.