2003 Quarterbacks

Philster043

Cade Thompson has played well so far in the scrimmages. Alex Rouse is a great backup.

He will be one of the top senior quarterbacks in the state of Tennessee next year.

Ron, you're not telling me anything I didn't already know! :P:P

I wish I could be here next year to watch Cade Thompson's senior campaign, but alas, I'll be in New York for three years.

I'll try to make all the state championship games though. :P

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys,

Life's getting a whole lot busier for me right now. 'Cause of that I'm not able to be around as much as I'd like to be, so pls. forgive me if I'm not able to respond back or modify the lists quickly - I'm barely at the computer already as it is.

I appreciate the comments tho and will put them in the list soon. Good luck with all your teams this season.

Phil

First off let me explain. I consider the quarterback position to be the most important (and interesting) role on any team. My job in high school (as a Mike LB)may have been to kill quarterbacks, but I still have a lot of respect for them. Two of my best friends on my Maryville Red Rebels teams were both quarterbacks, and good ones at that.

Therefore, I'm interested in what teams in the state have the best quarterbacks in 2003, but this won't really be determined until the end of the regular season.

So in the meanwhile, using the Murphy Fair's 2003 magazine as a guide, I tried to familiarize myself with all the quarterbacks in the state so I could follow how they were all doing and have a solid opinion by the time winter rolls around. Overall, this thread is meant to be a reference list more than anything else. Any help or corrections would be appreciated.

There were some teams that Murphy Fair's didn't have coverage on, or there were some teams with QB competitions that hadn't been resolved yet. So if you'll let me know about what's up with these ones, I'll modify the list accordingly...

Let's start with 5A and 4A first. I'll do 3A, 2A, 1A, and the Divison II ones later. All quotes are from Murphy Fair's.

1-5A

Dobyns-Bennett Indians - Duran Ferguson (6-3, 215)

"...the heir apparent at quarterback. He's big and strong and should settle into the job just fine."

Jefferson County Patriots - Parker Clement (6-2, 195)

"His numbers reflect a completion percentage of 54 (74 of 137) for a total of 1,334 yards and 11 touchdowns. Clement has a nice touch on the ball and is a proven offensive leader on this team."

Sevier County Smokey Bears - ??? - NO MENTION.

Bearden Bulldogs - ??? - NO SURVEY.

Science Hill Hilltoppers - Brandon Shoun (??, ??)

"In Murphy Fair's, it said that Jeff Joslin (6-2, 195), who was a non-starter last year, would be this year's field general for Science Hill, but apparently that's not the case anymore: see report below please."

As Reported by Surf4Life: Is Joslin still playing QB for Science Hill? I was told a sophmore named Brandon Shoun is going to start at QB for them. ... I know a kid on SH's football team and when I was in JC a few weeks ago and asked him about the team this year he told me a kid named Brandon Shoun was their QB. Thanks Surf4Life!

South-Doyle Cherokees - Nathan Nash (6-3, 185)

"A smart and hard working player, Nash threw for nearly 500 yards and rushed for more than 200. His experience and abilities should help the team a great deal."

Karns Beavers - Cale Iorg (6-2, 180)

"Iorg was good on 55 of 154 passes last year for just under 700 yards. He also rushed for 385 yards and scored a total of 10 touchdowns during the year."

Campbell County Cougars - Chris Smith (5-10, 170)

"...returns at quarterback for his final season after earning HM All-Region honors last year. A starter in the last five games last year, he threw for just under 900 yards. He's a good decision maker and should lead the offense with authority."

2-5A

Ooltewah Owls - Justin Higdon (6-0, 175)

"A relatively new face steps in at quarterback to direct the Owl offense this year. ... He rotated at the signal caller's position last year with now Blake Foster and connected on 14 of 33 passes for 271 yards and a pair of touchdowns."

As reported by Fanatic15: In Region 2-5A Ooltewah High School is more than likely going to start Justin Higdon at QB. Ooltewah also has a sophomore QB names Zack Woods that will get some playin time as well at the position just to see how he performs but Higdon should ultimately come out on top. Thanks Fanatic15!

Oak Ridge Wildcats - COMPETITION ONGOING.

Possibilites: Justin Pace (5-7, 130), Scott McMahon (6-2, 195), Jarvis Washington (5-10, 145).

McMinn County Cherokees - COMPETITION ONGOING.

Possibilites: Derrick Vestal (5-11, 175), Jonathan King (5-9, 160), James Carr (5-10, 160).

William Blount Governors - Craig Wojociehowski (5-11, 185)

"...back at quarterback where he threw for more than 1,800 yards as a junior. Considered one of the top signal callers in East Tennessee, he has a strong, accurate arm and should have another banner season directing the Governor offense at William Blount."

Soddy-Daisy Trojans - COMPETITION ONGOING.

Possibilites: Tyler Phelps (6-4, 190), Gary Orr (5-10, 175).

Farragut Admirals - Dylan Dickey (6-4, 190)

"...Dickey is back at quarterback. The experience gained last year should make him one of the top signal callers in the Knoxville area."

Bradley Central Bears - ??? - NO MENTION.

Heritage Mountaineers - COMPETITION ONGOING.

Possibilites: Randy Swafford (6-2, 225), Dustin Merritt (6-0, 180).

3-5A

Cookeville Cavaliers - John Ledford (5-8, 170)

"...back to direct the Cookeville offense. His experience as field general will help the Cavaliers get going early until other skill position players in the offensive backfield are ready to step up and help with leadership roles."

Cumberland County Jets - COMPETITION ONGOING.

Possibilites: NO MENTION.

Franklin County Rebels - Quincy Russell (6-0, 185)

"...back at quarterback but classmate Ryan Henn (5-9, 160) is applying pressure for the job."

Lincoln County Falcons - Michael Edmiston (6-2, 200)

"...have the potential to play Divison I football next year. ... had an impressive junior campaign, rushing 164 times for 936 yards and seven touchdowns and passing for 872 yards and four more scores. Also the team's punter, he averaged better than 31 yards on 31 kicks during the year. His size, strength, speed and leadership abilities should make the Falcons tough."

Coffee County Red Raiders - Adam Clark (6-5, 215)

"...back to direct the offensive unit... Clark has good size and mechanics. Expect him to have a strong year in his final season at Coffee County."

Warren County - ??? - NO SURVEY.

4-5A

Riverdale Warriors - Dave Thomas (6-0, 170)

"A new quarterback... He has some pretty big shoes to fill with the graduation of Stephen Britton but Thomas appears to be up to the task at hand."

Blackman Blaze - Brett Emerson (6-0, 160)

"...saw limited duty last year but appears to be ready for action at the front lines."

Oakland Patriots - Jarden Ebaloroza (5-10, 180)

"...threw for nearly 1,000 yards last year but needs to develop a bit more consistency in his final year as a Patriot quarterback."

Smyrna Bulldogs - David Wolke (6-3, 205)

"...a big-time signal caller who has several Divison I schools courting his talents. A team leader with a strong arm, he'll be a key ingredient of this year's Bulldog attack." Note: Wolke has been arrested for assault in the summer.

Lebanon Blue Devils - COMPETITION ONGOING.

Possibilities: Arkee Grooms (6-2, 220), Todd Cross (5-10, 170).

LaVergne Wolverines - Zach Deal (5-10, 175)

"...saw 10-game starting action last year and brings great leadership qualities to the team."

Wilson Central - ??? - NO SURVEY

Siegel Stars - COMPETITION ONGOING.

Possibilities: Jessie Russell (5-10, 165), Zeke Anderson (6-0, 170).

5-5A

Gallatin Green Wave - (2 QUARTERBACKS): Jamison Link (6-1, 190)

Backup: Ryan McFarland (5-10, 175).

"...Link's 29 carries resulted in 253 yards and a touchdown but he also caught six passes for 82 yards and another TD. At strong safety, Link made 60 hits. ... McFarland saw a lot of playing time last year, mostly on defense [at free safety]. ... Offensively, he carried the ball 13 times for 65 yards and a touchdown.

As reported by GWAVE1: Gallatin has pretty much decided on Jamison Link as the starter however Ryan MacFarland should get to see some playing time. Both like the ground game. Thanks GWAVE1!

As reported by just1np: I wouldn't call Gallatin's QB situation competition. Link is the starter, but he starts on defense as well, so McFarland (a very capable signalcaller) will play about 40-50% of the time to rest Link. Thanks just1np!

Beech Buccaneers - COMPETITION ONGOING.

Possibilities: J.J. Leftwich (5-10, 195), Cale Rice (6-1, 165).

Hendersonville Commandos - Lawson Watson (5-11, 185).

"...doubles his playing time at both quarterback and defensive back. He's a talented signal caller who has the ability to play at the next level in 2004. His leadership skills are also strong.

Hunters Lane Warriors - Kevin Holt (175)

"...back at quarterback to lead the offensive attack. He's tough and has great athletic ability which should make for some exciting offensive moments this fall."

Antioch Bears - Kenny Adams (5-11, 175)

"...back at QB where he needs to step up and have a big year. A quality team leader..."

Glencliff Colts - Seth Barnes (5-9, 165)

"...threw for nearly 400 yards and five touchdowns last year and is anxious to improve these numbers."

McGavock - ??? - NO SURVEY.

6-5A

Brentwood Bruins - Thomas Welch (6-5, 230)

"...has great potential at quarterback. His size and strong arm, coupled with great athletic ability, make him a strong bet for starting action. He hit on six of 15 passes last year for 87 yards and a touchdown."

Franklin Rebels - Matt Solima (6-3, 185)

"The pressure is on [him]... Solima has a strong arm but plenty to learn about the system. He should be ready by the time Lincoln County game rolls around and has sophomore Jonathan Haines (5-11, 170) as his backup."

Dickson County Cougars - Shane Bishop (5-10, 160)

"...back at quarterback after starting last year as a sophomore. Sophomore starters at QB in the 5A ranks are a rarity. He's a good one who should have a great year in 2003."

Henry County Patriots - John Ross Hudson (5-10, 160)

"...probably get the job at quarterback. He started three games last year and also saw starting action in the secondary six times. Sophomore Charlie Rose (6-3, 175) is battling for the offensive job but will likely serve as his understudy."

Centennial - ??? - NO SURVEY.

Clarksville Wildcats - Wesley Fink (6-0, 185)

"...probable starter at quarterback."

Ravenwood Raptors - T.C. Jennings (6-0, 148)

"...has a strong arm and should handle field general duties very well. He looks to have all the tools needed to play at the next level."

Kenwood Knights - Marc Hicks (6-0, 175)

"...back at quarterback after completing 148 of 301 passes for over 2000 yards and nine scores. If he cuts down on the 21 interceptions thrown a year ago, the Knight field general should have a good enough season to attract college scouts and get an opportunity to play at the next level."

7-5A

Bolton Wildcats - COMPETITION ONGOING.

Possibilites: Chris Wooley (5-7, 155), Spencer Smalley (6-3, 185).

Cordova Wolves - Chase Sullivan

NO MENTION IN MURPHY FAIR. Note: I saw an article about him.

Bartlett Panthers - Josh Cooper (6-3, 185)

"...has a very strong arm and possesses great leadership skills, qualities coaches like in a field general."

Overton Wolverines - LaScott Parker (6-1, 160)

"...had a good year, connecting on 43 of 113 passes for nearly 900 yards and nine touchdowns. His leadership will be a key component of this year's Wolverine attack."

Millington Trojans - Michael Bailey (6-0, 167)

"...saw some action last year and is ready for the job ahead."

Memphis Central Warriors - Derrick Lane (6-0, 185)

"An excellent option quarterback... also throws the ball fairly well and should have a big year..."

8-5A

Collierville Dragons - Brian Hall (5-11, 170)

"...an All-Region and All-Metro defensive back defensive back last year... a running back last year, Hall is the likely choice at quarterback this fall. He rushed for more than 550 yards and eight touchdowns last year and also caught 17 passes for 330 yards and three more scores. His athletic ability makes him an excellent choice for field general."

Whitehaven Tigers - COMPETITION ONGOING.

Possibilites: Omari Avant (5-11, 175), Courtney Luster (6-0, 160). Note: In seven starts last year, Avant threw for 1,253 yards. He knows the system well and is the likely regular this fall. But Luster threw for 959 yards himself in five games...

Germantown Red Devils - Brandon Patterson (6-1, 180)

"...started at one of the corners last year and is a definite college prospect. He'll also compete to start at quarterback."

Houston Mustangs - Matt Burel (5-11, 175)

"...appears to be in line for the job at quarterback. Although he didn't start last year, Burel has shown excellent promise at the position. A good year may find him playing at the next level after his high school career is completed."

White Station Spartans - Paul Warner (6-0, 170)

"...back at quarterback after hitting on 76 of 162 passes last year for 1,223 yards and 14 touchdowns. He has a nice touch on the ball and should only get better with each passing game."

Hamilton Wildcats - David Taylor (6-0, 170)

"...still young, only a sophomore. ... Taylor hit on 43 of 106 passes last year for 577 yards and three TD's. Now much stronger and with a season of maturity behind him, look for Taylor to post some outstanding numbers in the fall."

1-4A

Tennessee Vikings - Marcus Nidiffe (6-1, 155)

"...projected starter"

Elizabethton Fighting Cyclones - COMPETITION ONGOING

Possibilities: Brad Osborne (6-0, 170), Jake Berkley (5-9, 150), Charles Peter (6-0, 167), Weston Jeffers (6-1, 195).

Sullivan South Rebels - COMPETITION ONGOING

Possibilites: Timmy Meade (6-4, 185), Brandon Cole (5-10, 200), Jake Hicks (6-1, 170).

Daniel Boone Trailblazers - ??? - NO SURVEY.

Sullivan Central Cougars - Tyler Harvey (6-1, 175)

"...appears to be in line for starting action. He has a strong arm and is a good team leader. But classmate Brandon Ellison (6-0, 165) is also a strong candidate."

Johnson County Longhorns - Jeremy Cornett (6-0, 175)

"...handled wide receiver duties in 2002 but may get the call at quarterback in his final year."

Unicoi County Blue Devils - ??? - NO SURVEY.

2-4A

Morristown West Trojans - John Minnich (5-11, 190)

"...has some big shoes to fill, following the graduation of Drew Southerland but should be ready for the responsibilies he faces."

Greeneville Greene Devils - Chase Greenway (6-2, 185)

"At presstime, a successor to Cody Baugh had yet to be determined. ... Greenway has great athletic ability and may be assigned the role of quarterback this year."

Cocke County Fighting Cocks - Ryan Prather (6-1, 180)

"...back at quarterback... a strong leader."

Volunteer Falcons - Chucky Lindhom (6-6, 195)

"...returns at quarterback with plenty of potential and desire. He's a solid performer who will only get better as his career advances. Look for him to have a big year directing the Volunteer offensive attack."

David Crockett Pioneers - Josh Longworth (6-1, 170)

"...generated more than 1,100 yards of offense as a sophomore. Longworth rushed for more than 600 yards and passed for another 500, making him a dual threat whenever he took a snap from center. Protection may not be quite as strong this year, however, especially in the early stages of the season."

Morristown East Hurricanes - Jared Palazzola (6-2, 175)

"In his first year as field general last fall, he threw for more than 1,300 yards. Look for this year's numbers to be equally as impressive."

Cherokee Chiefs - Dustin Sandefur (6-1, 180)

"...contends at quarterback and wide receiver on the offensive side of the ball."

3-4A

Maryville Red Rebels - Cade Thompson (6-3, 170)

"...back at quarterback where he connected on 131 of 225 passes for 1,962 yards and 16 touchdowns. He has company at the position -- senior Alex Rouse (6-2, 180). Rouse was expected to be Maryville's signal caller last year but a torn ACL kept him out of the lineup in 2002."

Knoxville Central Bobcats - Zachary Helton (5-10, 160)

"Back at quarterback is the coach's son... As a freshman last year, young Helton completed 77 of 150 passes for 1,362 yards and a dozen touchdowns with only three interceptions."

Powell Panthers - Cole Patrick (6-0, 175)

"...an All-Region pick last year... completed 71 of 136 passes for 983 yards and nine scores but also rushed for another 500 yards. His double threat capabilities should make for plenty of fireworks on the Powell gridiron this year."

Knoxville Carter Green Hornets - Brett Stanton (6-2, 185)

"...a good chance to see starting action this year... at quarterback."

Knoxville Halls Red Devils - Kent Flynn (5-11, 190)

"...returns at quarterback but is coming off shoulder surgery and won't be fully recovered until early August. He started all 10 games last year. Pushing him at the field general slot are junior Josh Lowelling (5-11, 160) and sophomore Troy Lucas (5-11, 170).

Knoxville West Runnin' Rebels - Justin Jackson (6-1, 170)

"The role of quarterback is something still to be determined but it appears that senior Justin Jackson has the edge. He's a good athlete..."

Clinton Dragons - COMPETITION ONGOING.

Possibilites: Jimmy Manning (6-0, 180), Michael York (5-11, 155).

4-4A

Cleveland Blue Raiders - COMPETITION ONGOING.

Possibilites: Pete Miller (5-8, 147), Tanner Shemblin (6-0, 145).

East Ridge Pioneers - Brandon Stewart (6-1, 165)

"..appears to be in line for work at quarterback. He has good athletic ability and makes good decisions in a hurry. After he settles into the role, the offensive unit should be clicking well under his direction." Seems that there is another quarterback that will take a lot of snaps, too: see report below.

As Reported by ELA: East Ridge will play with two QB's this year (both seeing regular playing time): Doug Edgar (SR) and Brandon Stewart (JR) Thanks ELA!

Chattanooga Central Purple Pounders - Joe Despaux (6-0, 180)

"...is a great leader with excellent work habits. He brings both speed and agility to the position and should be a great offensive leader this fall."

Rhea County Golden Eagles - COMPETITION ONGOING.

Possibilities: Brad Hankins (5-9, 160), Kevin Smithson (6-2, 185).

Hixson Wildcats - Wilford Blowe (6-1, 200)

"...returns for his final year. Blowe rushed for more than 350 yards and passed for over 600, scoring 15 touchdowns in the process. With him at the offensive controls, the excitement level should be high in Hixson this fall."

Red Bank Lions - Jacob Fabry (6-2, 175)

"...being tested at quarterback."

Brainerd Panthers - Daniel Smiley (6-2, 195)

"...loaded with potential but must not try to do it all alone. Relying on a good supporting cast will make his job much easier to perform this year."

5-4A

Hillsboro Burros - Brad Doss (5-11, 170)

"...anxious to get his squad back into another title game. Doss rushed for 411 yards and 14 scores a year ago but also did well throwing the ball (453 yards, 10 TD's). His leadership will go a long way in helping secure a great year for the Burros."

Overton Bobcats - COMPETITION ONGOING.

Possibilites: Steven Langston (5-11, 165), Sean Pointer (6-1, 175).

Tullahoma Wildcats - COMPETITION ONGOING.

Possibilites: Trevell Wilkerson (6-0, 185), Matt Mitchell (6-0, 175).

Columbia Central Lions - Brad Fitzpatrick (6-1, 190)

"A proven leader with good speed and an aggressive style of play..."

Hillwood Hilltoppers - Dee Rucker (5-10, 170)

"...junior quarterback... should make the Hilltoppers a solid threat to score points, especially if replacements can be found up front."

Shelbyville Golden Eagles - COMPETITION ONGOING.

Possibilities: Jarred Frazier (5-10, 175), Trey Stewart (6-1, 185)

Hickman County Bulldogs - ??? - NO SURVEY.

Spring Hill Raiders - Derek Tuttle (6-2, 160)

"...a parttime starter last year, is back to handle the job of quarterback this year. A good passer, he fits the offense perfectly. Look for the Raider passing game to be vastly improved in the coming year."

Lawrence County Wildcats - Boone Yokley (5-9, 160)

"...back for his final year as a Wildcat. A nine-game starter, Yokley recorded 1,152 passing yards last year and also rushed for another 281 yards on the ground. In this region, these are excellent numbers."

White County Warriors - Josh Lowery (6-1, 170)

"An All-Region pick and team offensive MVP, Lowery threw for more than 800 yards last year and hopes to have an even better year in '03."

6-4A

Pearl-Cohn Firebirds - Reno Thompson (6-0, 170)

"...appears to have nailed down a starting assignment at both quarterback and defensive back..."

White House Blue Devils - Gordon Keene (6-0, 180)

"...back after earning Region 6-4A's Offensive Back award. Keene completed 68 of 115 passes for 980 yards and 14 touchdowns with just two interceptions. He's a quality leader who should do another great job this fall."

Springfield Yellowjackets - Rico Collier (5-9, 170)

"Three-year starter... but he's feeling some pressure from classmate Larry Martin (6-0, 145)."

Whites Creek Cobras - Donald Westmoreland (5-10, 180)

"...returns at both quarterback and defensive back..."

Mt. Juliet Golden Bears - Levi Brown (6-2, 185)

"...appears destined to handle the job at quarterback. He didn't start last year but has tremendous talent. Look for him to do well in leading the Golden Bear attack."

Stratford Spartans - Tim Perkins (5-7, 165)

"...a three-year starter at QB but is being pushed hard by Quan Taylor (6-2, 175, Jr.) and James Winrow (6-2, 175, Soph.)

Clarksville Northeast Vikings - Willie Brown (6-1, 185)

"...returns at QB..."

Clarksville Northwest Eagles - ??? - NO SURVEY.

Rossview Hawks - Griff Briggs (5-10, 150)

"...under consideration for action this fall at Rossview."

Maplewood Panthers - Courtney Grimes (6-0, 170)

"...expects to get the call at quarterback for Maplewood this fall. A heady field general, he makes good decisions and has a strong arm should the passing game be called upon this year."

7-4A

Jackson Central Merry Cougars - Will Powell (5-11, 175)

"...saw a good bit of action as a junior and is expected to take over at quarterback. He's an outstanding baseball player."

Haywood Tomcats - Craig Harris (6-0, 170)

"...was 7-4A's second leading passer and does an excellent job directing the offense. He's a good athlete, too good not to be used in the Tomcat secondary as well."

Jackson Northside Indians - COMPETITION ONGOING.

Possibilites: Ryan Fincher (5-10, 180), Ian Wright (5-10, 185)

Munford Cougars - COMPETITION ONGOING.

Possibilites: Edjuan Burris (5-9, 155), William Beckman (6-1, 175), Cole Ivie (5-9, 165).

Dyersburg Trojans - John Bolan (5-10, 175)

"...started twice at quarterback but missed most of the year due to injuries. In those two starts, he hit on 13 of 32 passes for more than 200 yards with just one interception. He's expected to handle field general duties at quarterback this year."

Hardin County Tigers - Wes Bouterie (6-5, 180)

"...returns at quarterback and is also a lock to see defensive back duty. He'll again have an experienced group of receivers to consider when the passing game comes into play."

8-4A

Melrose Golden Wildcats - Antonio Heffner (6-2, 175)

"...returns to direct the Golden Wildcat offense."

Memphis East Mustangs - COMPETITION ONGOING.

Possibilites: Cameron Boga (5-9, 162), Cassius Vaughn (5-10, 170).

Ridgeway Roadrunners - Will Hudgens (6-4, 210)

"...Divison I prospect... an excellent decision maker, Hudgens is probably the best QB prospect in school history. His size, strength, and overall athletic ability make him a solid leader at field general."

Fairley Bulldogs - ??? - NO SURVEY

Craigmont Chiefs - ??? - NO SURVEY

Wooddale Cardinals - ??? - NO SURVEY

Keep an eye on Ty Evans with the Lexington Tigers this year. He has the size, the mind, and the arm to play at he next level. He is a Jr. this year and has started at QB since his freshman year.