Private vs. Publics

BDURHAM

This will probably get moved to the public - private thread. I think it is a larger issue that pertains to football, so I started it in the football thread.

Do the losses by USJ and CPA to 3A and 5A teams respectively tell us anything?

Do the losses by Oakland and Centennial to Brentwood Academy and BGA tell us anything?

Add Tyner's loss to McCallie to the list.

Here is my theory...the size of the private schools does not factor into the equation as neatly as one might hope. If the smaller privates cannot beat larger publics, then why do the larger publics have a problem beating the large privates?

There are a few (5-10) privates that can probably beat 95% of the publics. There are another group (2-5) of smaller publics than can probably beat most larger public schools.

Classification by size doesn't appear to level the field of competition. The recent games mentioned above confirm what many people have said has been true for several years -- privates have an advantage.

Any reactions (with apologies to the mods if this is in the wrong forum)? If publics and privates are still playing each other, I think it is a general issue that pertains to football.

Edited by StanTrott

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CBHS barely beat Melrose in a very competitive game 10-8

Memphis East beat Briarcrest 20-7

Whitehaven beat MUS 35-21

I think what this tells us is that there are good teams all over the state both public and private.

The problems seem to originate when people don`t like for private schools to win.

A split only cheats fans and players in the long run when the best teams don`t play each other in the state playoffs.

It tells me that when a good 1A team meet and a good 3A team meet...what you would expect to happen did...it says nothing about public vs private...South Side won...if they where to have lost to USJ you might have an argument...they didn't...they won like a larger school would be expected to do...an when this year is over I venture to say SOuth SIde will not even be the best team in 3A...so maybe what it tells me is the perceived advantage of Privates is just that...perceived...maybe because it is easier to admit than to accept that they are just better than some public school on a given night...

Another thing that the USJ loss to South Side tells us...for the last year on this board I have read public school supporters post that if privates would just schedule tougher non-region games against larger schools on their own there would be no need for a split...USJ did just that...believe me I am not a USJ fan...they are my teams biggest rival...but I admire there going out and scheduling harder, bigger schools...however...even when they do...and lose by a large margin...we find people still trying to read into it that they need to be moved to division II....so I think what this game tells me is...if privates want to stay in division I the only way is to lose...we have to lose every game to a public school or else we get booted...I agree with VG...this isn't about fair...or advantages...it is about public schools not wanting to ever lose to privates...even then...public supporters look for some hidden message...USJ lost 42-15 and somehow it is supposed to mean they have an advantage...if that is what an advantage does for you...then I hope all public schools get an advantage....maybe they always have had one

Edited by JaxMan

Ego is exactly right. Size of a school in Centennial's case doesn't matter because they haven't really had the talent that the other Williamson Co. schools like Franklin and mainly Brentwood has. Brentwood would probably beat BGA and last year I think they would have beaten any D-II AA team and they definately could have beaten MBA (the champ) because of their defense.

I think this whole public/private discussion is trite.