Knoxville media bias towards AE

boorelly

The media is going to do what it has to do to create sales. Just think what the media coverage for Farragut or Bearden would be like if they had the record AE has. Money talks. West Knox, Maryville and North Knox are the areas with the most people and money. Why do you think WNOX has made Central their official team this year? Several of the people at the News Sentinel and at WNOX live in that part of town. I think that AE does get it's share of the coverage, though. Just be thankful you are not at West, S-D or Carter for that matter. Remember, there are 17 teams in Knox Co. plus think about all the schools in the surrounding area. And yes, Maryville should get in the news with the great record they have enjoyed. I think the sports in this area do a much better job than the other big cities in the state. While I am no fan of the media, I think they are working to get better.

Hang in there.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NineInchNails

I was being completely serious. Austin-East won our 3A state championship the year it got blasted by Indep...well, Chris Leak, really. There's no rule that says you have to play out of state. And the quote you were referring to, "To be the man, you've got to beat the man...", you guys haven't beaten anybody. Crap, in 2000, you guys got tossed around by Alcoa twice in 2A!

I will have to agree about A-E and Fulton not getting the media coverage due them.

Also I would like to bring up the fact that the other East Tennessee schools that don't get any coverage from the larger area newspapers or media. Schools like Campbell County, Morgan County Schools, Scott High or Oneida. Looking at Knoxpreps in the paper and there is not any coverage on them at all. The paper claims to cover the teams in the area, but fail to cover anything about the teams in the paper no matter how good they are. I think these kids deserve the recongition that the other schools get. Even knoxpreps.com is showing last years players on the roosters for some of these schools. I know there are other schools not covered either. I don't know if its the schools are not passing the information along to the paper or what.

KRAm63, I disagree with you. That feature was just one of few thats ever going to be posted on AE or Harris. Boo is totally right about the media coverage of AE. The year AE won the championship, the media didn't cover the AE's championship parade nor the presenting of the trophy to the school. But when you turned on the TV, you seen MAryville all over the news. So what that Maryville's won 4 in a row, give Knoxville's teams the same or more coverage than what Maryville gets.

Now someone said that the media will go where the money is, I have to agree with that 100%.

Boo, you should write the news stations and newspapers, they're be sure to run your email in their paper and respond. Put it in the Sportsmail in the Sunday's paper and see what kind of response you will get. But Bro, I'm with you. AE isn't getting what they deserve in basketball or football. Its ok though, they'll still represent on the field or the court with or without the media.

Guest NineInchNails

You guys should just sit around and hold hands and cry everybody a river. If you don't like the coverage, start your own newspaper, that's what the hippie News-Sentinel did!

In many cases, the level of coverage is related to how well the school (or persons associated with the school) develop relations with the media outlet. If a team is successful AND boosters, coaches, etc. are persistent in contacting the TV stations and KNS, providing them with information, and requesting coverage, and basically "hounding" them, the level of coverage will increase.

I am a supporter of a Knox County school's spring sport and I have every local TV sports anchor's email and phone number as well as the email and phone for the KNS sports department. I continually emailed and called every one of them prior to and after every contest (except Mark Packer, who only cares about UT sports and looking good on TV). The coverage increased drammatically.

Guest NineInchNails

You guys are crazy...if it weren't for the media, Leroy Thompson would have never been discovered. Look through the archives and find out how many basketball players from A-E were players of the year, too friggin' many to count!

The media is going to do what it has to do to create sales. Just think what the media coverage for Farragut or Bearden would be like if they had the record AE has. Money talks. West Knox, Maryville and North Knox are the areas with the most people and money. Why do you think WNOX has made Central their official team this year? Several of the people at the News Sentinel and at WNOX live in that part of town. I think that AE does get it's share of the coverage, though. Just be thankful you are not at West, S-D or Carter for that matter. Remember, there are 17 teams in Knox Co. plus think about all the schools in the surrounding area. And yes, Maryville should get in the news with the great record they have enjoyed. I think the sports in this area do a much better job than the other big cities in the state. While I am no fan of the media, I think they are working to get better.

Hang in there.

I have to agree with you about West and South Doyle. Makes a lot of sense!

You guys are crazy...if it weren't for the media, Leroy Thompson would have never been discovered.  Look through the archives and find out how many basketball players from A-E were players of the year, too friggin' many to count!

nine inch you are ridiculous. I know they have record of how many time this past season Fulton team was on T.V. Even during basketball season they covered the football story. Now Joey Wright is a great coach but how many times has Mitchell been on TV. Only when they lose the state game and no one else to cover. Only press AE gets is during the playoffs. Because before last years season they were always the only knoxville team still playing in Knoxville (Since Stevens has been the coach). Leroy Thompson was noticed Nationally. That happens when you make it to the state championship game dang near your whole career in high school. He did not need the media of Knoxville. And matter of fact you didn't hear much about Leroy. You heard about the Collins boys of Jeff County, Randy Hall and Jason Julian of Halls a lot more than Leroy. Just ask Leroy about the coverage of AE. Or better yet talk to Sam Anderson one of the greatest coaches in Tennessee Sports History.

Edited by boorelly