Franklin

REDneckman

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeez, this question comes up every year... Leave it alone! There are so many schools (elementary to university level) that have the REBEL mascot. If the county school system and the school administration do not have a problem with it why should anyone else?

It's likely the school administration does have a problem with it... the Franklin seal was recently changed to omit the Confederate flag from it. This is my feeling: I don't want it changed, but if the school admin does, wait till the 100th anniversary of the school in 2011.

FHSrebel27 - I really don't believe the school adminsitration has an issue with it. If they did, it would have already been changed. If I'm not mistaken a few members of the administration are Rebel Alumni as well.

I'm not an alumni of FHS, but I've heard about this issue every year and every year they hold on to the mascot. If the alumni get wind of this, I think they will take the issue up and support keeping the current mascot. I believe it will stay!

Go REBs! We are proud of our Maroon & White! :D

Edited by sundancer

First, they get rid of Rebels, then all the Indians/Warriors, any war-like group(Spartans, Trojans, Vikings), PETA will stop all the animal names. Then they will stop keeping score, so nobody's self-esteem is hurt. Make a stand, Rebels for ever! Ever notice nobody's nickname is the Yankees? Except for some baseball team somewhere :D .

FHSrebel27 - I really don't believe the school adminsitration has an issue with it. If they did, it would have already been changed. If I'm not mistaken a few members of the administration are Rebel Alumni as well.

I'm not an alumni of FHS, but I've heard about this issue every year and every year they hold on to the mascot. If the alumni get wind of this, I think they will take the issue up and support keeping the current mascot. I believe it will stay!

Go REBs! We are proud of our Maroon & White! :D

Yes, this issue does come up every year... but let me say this: this issue has NOT been brought up BY the admin this year. Just like it was not last year. There have been numerous times in the past, however, where the admin has brought it up. As the good liberal I am, I see both sides but my personal heritage is stronger than my political beliefs so I would say keep the Rebel, too.

sundancer, who on the FHS administration is an alumni? I can't think of anyone unless they brought someone in over the summer. Also, how are you related to the school? Just curious... like to see Rebel fans!

By Definition :

Rebel – One who rebels or participates in a Rebellion; To oppose or disobey one in authority or control; To renounce or resist by force; To feel or exhibit anger or revulsion.

Sounds like just about every teenager I know or have known, regardless of skin color or nationality. (Sounds llike a few parents I know as well, black and white)

No where in the definiton of a Rebel, does it imply a discrimination against anyone of any color.

If you were to ask each and every player of the FHS Rebels if they felt condemned by playing under the name REBEL, they would laugh. Being around these guys for 3 years now, they are ALL REBELS and PROUD to be.

The adults in this world need to focus our attention on the bigger issues around hatred and bigotry, and leave the kids and their masocts alone.

Interesting fact about Spartans-they had a very rigid social structure, where the warriors (men) would go off by themselves and train. They would take young boys into their fold, mentor them, and then take them as lovers. The boys would then be assimilated back into Spartan society, where women were running the show. So their entire developmental period was spent in an illicit relationship with men, and then they were supposed to procreate with a gender they never had contact with! So in literal fact, Spartans refer to Gay Warriors in a militaristic society where women ruled the roost! Point being, that given the opportunity, any "nickname" can have a negative connotation. Keep the Rebel name-redneck is being a nuisance.

Now how about the Washington Redskins?

NO! Maybe they can change a logo but a name is a part of their tradition and it is a part of their collective historical experience. I'm 1/4 Cherokee (on my mother's side) and I don't have a problem with nicknames like BRAVES, WARRIORS, etc. so why should anyone get offended by being the Rebels. They're not calling themselves the KLAN, or any other name... what I think is lacking is education of the historical facts.

FHSrebel - I'm not related to the school system, but for some reason I thought there was alumni in administration - maybe I'm wrong. I agree with the post regarding most teenagers are rebels! I think there is a little of that in all of us, regardless of our age. Many men died in this area, so I do appreciate the schools that have named mascots about local history.

There are great kids going to school through out our county and getting hung up on a mascot is such a trival issue when you look at the big pitcure.