Referees

mctigersportsfan

A Marshall county player intercepts a pass just inside the endzone and runs it out. The refs whistle the play dead saying you can't come out of the endzone, which is only true on a kickoff or a punt.

Afterwards the ref's apologize to the coach for an incorrect call. Sure they apologized but what good does it do at that point and time. The player had an open field and could have made a great return, which as we all know would be the highlight of most defensive players HS career.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a play like that in Lewis County-Waverly game tonight where ref blew whistle when the QB was smashed from behind. Referee was right on top of play in backfield and the umpire is blowing whistle from fifteen yards away... Redf apologizes to coach but doesn't mean much for the error.... Umpire picks nose and wonders what happened?

Bottome line is we have the old "inadvertent whistle" which is a crummy rule but one that has been around for a long time. Most good officials are not victimized by the "ghost whistle", it is usually reserved for officials who are A: Overzealous or B: Lacking knowldege of the game or C: Ham Actors

Either way, it blows chunks for the team that gets tatooed by the call.

bulldog69 -- I have no idea who you are and don't really care. But I would like to say this -- Obviously you are from the Southern part of Marshall county where the sun only shines once a month and most news that you do get is three days old by the time it gets to Cornersville.

We played Montgomery Central due to the fact that they are a Region Game, secondly the horn doesn't exist anymore and I doudt the ref didn't like the coach.

My point is that if the TSSAA can allow these men to be referree's they need to get them a little bit more knowledge of the rules and get them all singing off of the same page !!!!!

Sorry... wouldn't be caught dead in Marshall co. anytime...just wondering how playing a poor opponent like Fayette-Ware is productive. They have won ONE game total since their program started. But coach Mac loves those patsies...remember the hurt he put on poor Loretto a few years ago.....sorry you make the playoffs again but Mac can't take you to the dance cause he ain't never been there...moore co.????

If he likes the patsies so well why does he keep calling Lincoln County, Shelbyville and other 4A teams in this area looking for games and they refuse because they don't want to look bad playing and possible loosing to a 3A Team --

Unfortunately ther aren't many 3A teams left and you have to take a game with whomever will play you or take the week off which is worse than playing as you say a patsie team

ps Thank God you aren't in Marshall County it is a better place without you and your stupid ........

My point is that if the TSSAA can allow these men to be referree's they need to get them a little bit more knowledge of the rules and get them all singing off of the same page !!!!!

Have any of you ever made an unintentional embarrassing mistake? Aren't you glad people forgve you for it?

Game officials are just like you and me. They are human, and they do make mistakes. Bad calls are a part of the game. Complaining about it on here serves no purpose. It is best to move on and forget it, especially since your team won.

Have any of you ever made an unintentional embarrassing mistake?  Aren't you glad people forgve you for it?

Game officials are just like you and me.  They are human, and they do make mistakes.  Bad calls are a part of the game.  Complaining about it on here serves no purpose.  It is best to move on and forget it, especially since your team won.

I'm not complaining --just making a statement that this is becoming more and more prevelant and someday it will cost a team a game, possibly a championship.

some refs make bad calls over and over, and remember Nov. 1 2002, when OS went to Wartburg. Wartburg kicked off in second half and OS dropped the kick and Wartburg recovered, but the refs called inadvertant whistle. OS won later on and i doubt they would have if Wartburg wouldn't have got that call against them. But oh well, things are over now i'm just sayin teams have to get used to bad calls, some more than others.