9-11 and football

trnbrant

While Working on a 9-eleven story for the second anniversary of the WTC attacks I was thinking about how most of the TSSAA teams elected to play that Friday night even as college and pro sports didn't play that same weekend.

Looking back, was it the right thing to do to play that weekend... and what do you remember about the games that night?

I'll answer first... I think it WAS right to play. We were all drained from hours of watching the coverage... and it was healthy for us to watch and take part in something that was a part of our "normal" lives.

I didn't get to see a game that night because of hosting our Friday Night Finals show. I frankly don't remember much about the show other than it was probably the toughest one I've ever done. I can also remember almost literally collapsing after the signoff from the exhaustion of the week.

Just thought I would throw this one out to find out what others remember about that weekend of football.

I went to Humblodt for the Westview game and listened to talk shows on the way as they discussed whether games should be played. Once I entered the stadium at Humboldt, and they played the national anthem, I had no doubt that playing on the high school level was the thing to do. It was a special night that we wish had never been necessary.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember football practice on 9/11. . .

It was during the break, between offense and defense workouts, when we were sitting on the sideline, and Coach McCreery(Coach Mack) came over and started talking to us. He said one thing to us that I remember very vividly: "Look up in the sky boys, you'll never see this in your lives again," and we all looked up wondering what he was talking about, "There's not a single plane in the sky."

We had a great season, Blackman did, that year. 9/11 brought us together, I feel, as a team. It made us realize that we were a family. Some cried, others stared silently, others closed their eyes and held the tears back, as the national anthem was played that Friday.

Good Lord I can't believe it's been two years already.

God watch over and comfort the families of those who lost loved ones on that day.

-JohnC

I think it was the right thing to do to play that friday night. I mean event though it was a tragic day, it was good for people to be able to come together and enjoy what they enjoy as does their kids. Even though it was a mourning period you cant stop what happened. Coming together helped others take that moment off their minds and regain some emotional support.

In my opinion, I think playing on the week of the 11th was the right thing to do. I mean, A lot of Americans didn't won't to just sit there and dwell on the towers falling for weeks in and weeks out. A lot of people wanted to get back to their normal life and by doing that they went to high school football games.

I was hoping that colleges would've played that weekend too. That was the weekend of the Florida/Tennessee game and I was ready along with many other Vol fans but waiting to December worked to our advantage because we won the game.

But like I stated, playing on that Friday was the right thing to do because a lot of people went back to their normals lives after that.

i remembering praticing on that day.... no one cared about pratice that day.... it seemed minute compared to everything else. No one really talked, just went through the motions...At one point 3 cargo planes flew over us, heading NorthEast. just kind of took your mind of football and made you rethink about everything.

Well this day did affect some people in Tn. on a personal level. On 9-11-01 my little girl was born. I can remeber sitting in the hospital until Friday and getting to go home with her. That night Gallatin played Lavergne and being the good daddy that I want to be I stayed home and listened to the game. It was a great break from the tragic tuesday that our country as whole had to be witness to. It did start us back on the road to recovery. It let us all know that we all hurt for our nation and for 48 minutes we were able to have an escape from the real world and all its strife.

I was a freshman when it happened. When i was in middle school our 7th and 8th grade class went to New York. We stayed in the world trade center marriot hotel that was talked about some when it happened. I still to this day after seeing how big the towers where with my own eyes are gone. I just cant imagine why, but i guess no one ever will. After seeing the tape of Osama Bin Landin or however you spell his name, on tv today it just made me sick. I think it was a great idea to play that Friday. People, as bad as i dont want to say it, had to move on with their lives. With that being said i mean no disrespect to the families that lost loved ones. I pray that god is with these families tommorrow.