are student athletes under too much pressure?

gwave604

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If your not competitive.....take a basket weaving class. How many kids do you know that want to play sports because they want to lose? Sports are competitive. People compete every day of their life in some way or another. No matter the final score of a game...if a kid or anybody pours their heart out trying to achieve something, it doesn't matter if they come up short or achieve that goal.....They are winners. But hey, that's just what I think!

it is not near as much pressure as marriage, raising kids and paying the bills............

if it is too much pressure for you to play sports, be competitive, and manage your grades, then I suggest you become a monk and never get married and have children........ B)

Great post mg(lol), high school is a cakewalk compared to real life! Man, I wish I could go back knowing what I know now! Continue your education guys because the real world without a degree is a very tough place to be! B)

I don't think it is too much pressure on the student athletes. I teach kids who are on one kind of team or another. Yes, they love the sport, but I doubt seriously if they would find it much fun if there wasn't much competition. You know how it is when you play a team and you blow them out of the water. It stinks! Much more fun with competition! I also think competition & stress of it is a good practice for real life that lies ahead. We learn how to manage our time (hopefully) a little bit better and also how to prioritize things in our life. Yes, it is hard. Yes, there are times when we all feel like giving up because we feel the stress, but for the love of the game, we hang in there. And the reward in the end is great. Win or lose. Yes, that's right, I said lose. Because we will have made friends and contacts outside of ourself that maybe we never would have made without sports. So, I think it is all worth it. B)

That pressure put on the kids from the parents, coaches, etc., is an all too common theme. It seems a lot of people are living vicariously through the kids. I am sure that if a parent or child complains that the coach is putting too much pressure on, or the parent is , that it just creates more problems for the child. The kid is just going to have to look at it as , this is just a game. There is an end in sight and I will get through this, in the meantime, I will just do the best that I can, because that is all that I can do. Sometimes coaches & parents put on the pressure to relieve their pressure, or whatever. The kids just need to try, with the little bit of experience that they have, to try and let that criticism roll off his/her back like water on a duck's back. Then go out there and enjoy the game! B)

How about putting pressure on yourself. It's been said that "you're your own worst critic" and it's true. I can pick out every little thing that I do during a game looking back on film. But at the time, it kinda leaves me because my coach, teammates, or parents are always pushing me for the next play.I personally love it when people push me. It makes me know that I can do better in some way because someone believes that I can. When I mess up but can hear someone say "be ready for the next serve" I know that I have to shake it off and get ready.

Personal i dont think theres to much pressure on athletes. If they are serious in the sport they play then they thive on pressure and pressure situtions. Just look at Riverdale in the past, no telling how many pressure situtions they've been in and they've found a way to overcome. As much as i hate to admit it Riverdale responds well in pressure situtions. B)

Once a teammate of mine told the coach he couldn't perform at the level expected because the coach put too much pressure on him. The coach responded playing a game isn't pressure. Coming home Friday from school and barely eating until Monday morning at school again was pressure, getting beat by parents, those type things were real pressures for a student. The player ended up doing well at left tackle the rest of the year.