God and football

big D

wesvols I am in aw of your wisdom! I am so glad to see your post I could sit and talk to you for hours and I truly believe that I would come out the wiser!

Ditto!! This is a great thread. Whether or not a school offers a moment of silence or an actual prayer - it is my responsibility to make sure my son knows in his heart who he should be asking for a safe game and who he should be thanking for every step he makes on that field. The Lord Jesus Christ!

Romans 8:28

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to his purpose.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do I feel compaled to ask a few questions :

First if Paul saw Christ on the road to Damacus and believed then why was he baptized three days later after he was healed.

Secondly, if Jesus had no sin( which he didn't have sin) why was he baptized ?

If baptism was important enough to my Lord and to the great apostle , why do some feel it is unimportant.

Study to shew thyself approved rightly dividing the word of truth.

May God bless us All.

Agreed. Again no one has answered about:

Galations 3:27 "For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ." When is he(Christ) put on? It wasn't on the road to Damascus for Paul!

I Peter 3:20-21 "Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while in the ark was preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water. The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurection of Jesus Christ."

Just as Noah was saved by water, likewise baptism does also save us. And again I will say, not baptism alone but also believing and confessing as Wesvols said. But it doesn't stop with believing and confessing. You put on Christ at baptism. If it were just saying you accept him into your heart, then the ethiopian eunuch would have never gotten out of chariot to be baptized because he believed with all his heart in Acts 8:37, and immediately was baptized in Acts 8:38.

This is a great thread and thanks to whoever it was who started it! Look at our Country today. Think we don't need prayer? Everyone remember though. Each and every one of us who attend a high school game can pray sliently to ourselves. If a moment of silence is observed that would be a perfect time. Pray for the players safety and anything else on your mind. God is always listening. And this type of prayer can never be taken away.

I think that there is nothing wrong with prayer before a game. We all need God in our lives to make it from day to day! I am VERY proud to say that at Macon County games we always start off with a prayer over the loud speaker. It's nothing offensive to anyone just asking for protection for all in attendance. Granted it is a small town...but no matter who we play...large or small if they come into our house they always hear us pray before a game!

I don't understand the need to have group prayer at football games. If a team decides that they want to pray or ask "God" to watch over them, etc. then they should be able to do that, but perhaps in a huddle rather than over a loudspeaker. I believe the spectators at the game are there to watch football...if they wanted to hear a prayer, they'd be at church. I am in no way saying that prayer is a bad thing, but I think there are appropriate times and appropriate places and a football game is neither. I am not trying to say that there is anything wrong with personal expression either, but I think that it should be kept personal and not public. But this is just my opinion...take it for what it's worth...

And by the way, whomever made the comment about there being a silent majority of people who want prayer at football games...I heartily disagree. I believe that this "majority" who wants public prayer speaks out whenever they get a chance to do so. That's not exactly silent, now is it?

B

I agree with those of you who say a moment of silence is better than an announced prayer. It allows you to practice whatever you like, which is what America is all about. We've been learning about religious tollerance (sp?) in my U.S. History class and how even the Puritans were able to aquire somewhat of a tolerance for other religious beliefs (granted, they were all very simliar). But there weren't many different religions besides Christianity being pracited then. Nowadays, America is a country full of many MANY religions. While we may have been founded by God-fearing men, I believe you would find them being acepting of all religions. America (the government) is not and should not be the leader of some crusade for Christianity. I'm a Christian. I will always pray before a football game for the safety of the athletes and everyone involved, but I do not think that a state-run body like a school should sponsor (and yes, being that the game administrator is the principal of the host school it is state-run) a prayer before the game over the PA.

Well sugar,

everyone is entitled to their opinion, I just happen to think you're a little wrong this time. If you were able to ask the fans of east tennessee high school football, I guarantee that 85%-90% support the public prayer. I can't speak for the middle and west tennessee fans, but I'd say a good deal of them support it also. Like I said, those who do not want to participate don't have to. All is asked is to be silent in respect of those who do. If nothing else, a protection of those playing is all that is being asked. You know, for the sake of injury or lack thereof. Ther will never be a silent majority of christian supporters, they will stand up for what they believe is right and I for one will join them.

ACCARP

Just for the record, they still pray at Neyland Stadium. If they can say a prayer in the name of Jesus in front of 107,000 people and not offend anyone, surely prayer can still be said at high school games, many with less than 1,000 people in attendance.

Lake County still prays (as far as I know, since I haven't been this year) before their games. Of course, for about 10 years, a local pastor was the P.A. announcer.