MBA Game

2DADS

No one should be surprised by the relatively close score. BGA has a fine club - well coached and great athletes in Karl, Harlin, Bickley, and others. This was a dogfight, as I expected. The BGA-MBA series has always been a fierce one.

Rough stats (per radio broadcast; may be off somewhat):

BGA had about 120 rushing, 120 passing. Bickley was the leading rusher with about 65 yards. Karl may have had about 40 yards rushing, and threw for another 40 yards or so.

MBA had about 275 yards on the ground. Michael Koban is an animal and probably had 40-45% of those yards. Ryan Burns ripped off a 35-40 yard TD run in the first drive. Fisher probably added another 150 yards or so passing.

MBA's murderers' row schedule continues next week at Baylor.

BGA will represent Middle TN very well in the DII-AA title chase.

Roll red roll...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was a very good game, albeit much closer than I expected. BGA was outmatched by MBA at most positions, but played VERY hard, well-coached football and not only hung with the Big Red, but showed them a thing or two. MBA was clearly the better team, but didn't especially blow me away tonight.

One comment: With 5:00 left in the game, BGA had the ball 4th and 5 at the MBA 31. They were down 17-10. And they tried a FIELD GOAL! While the BGA coaches called an excellent game, I simply could not see the rationale behind such a decision, especially given MBA's rushing dominance. Sure enough, the 48-yarder was no good and MBA held the ball for the rest of the game, scoring on their final drive. I felt bad that one poor play call robbed the Wildcats of a potential game-tying opportunity and allowed the Big Red to tick the seconds away.

BGA played very well, and should be highly commended for their effort. Given their competitive nature I'm sure they won't be satisfied with the loss, but they should at least be pleased with their performance tonight even though they came up short. They'll roll through D2-2A.

Congrats to MBA for the win. They made the big plays when necessary and, while not mind-numbingly brilliant, were certainly impressive at times. They are strong up front and have some tough running backs, and I don't need to mention the proficient versatility of Fisher or the sticky hands of Pettus and French. Good win for MBA.

Edited by WesVols

Hindsight is 20/20, but I was surprised that people thought MBA would destroy BGA. While comparative scores are not a perfect indicator, keep in mind that BGA beat Centennial worse than BA did, and we all know how good BA is (losing to CBHS is no shame - just ask Germantown). As for Centennial, they beat a P-C team tonight that knocked off Hillsboro 2 weeks ago.

BGA's numbers are low, but their first stringers on O and D are very good.

As for DII-AAA, I respectfully ask anyone to name a region in the state that not only has played a similar caliber schedule but also has posted as many collective quality wins.

Kudos to the Wildcats for their effort. They played extremely hard and had an outstanding game plan, especially against the MBA passing attack working with 5 and 6 in coverage at times. BGA's first teamers are as talented as anyone we have seen. They showed good discipline on defense, and have excellent speed on both sides of the ball. I will be surprised if BGA seriously challenged in DII AA.

I echo rollredroll's assessment of the outcome. The Wildcats comparative lack of deph finally took its toll in the fourth quarter and they simply couldn't slow Koban and the Big Red running attack.

MBA continues to be sloppy on offense at times. There were, once again, several dropped passes that caused drives to stall. Penalties were also a factor as at least one drive was killed by a false start inside the Wildcat 10 yard line. These things must be corrected if they are to become a great team.

Edited by gobigred

Way to go BGA...you had a "cabillion" people dog you prior to the game...You stood tough and showed why you deserved to get respect...and remember...MBA was out for revenge...I know it's a loss but BGA kicked butt tonight!!!!(especially considering MBA has twice or more the $$$$$$ in their program...GO WILDCATS!!!!

Edited by frhsrules

Where did all the 41-7, 34-3, or "MBA by as many want" people go? This was some blow-out wasn't it? I mean MBA just breezed by BGA. Yeah, right, the game WAS close AFTER ALL.BGA put themselves into position to win the game but failed to capitalize on opportunities early on in the ball game when they squandered some darn good field position. MBA is beatable and they showed that against BGA. MBA had a TON of penalties in the first half.

And Wes, yes, the FG call was interesting, but it oh-so-easy to second guess what happens out there. That call raised some grumbles from the BGA faithful, as a first down there could have resulted in a tie ball game.

Anyone know any reasons why BGA couldn't compete at the AAA level on a regular basis? I hope that BGA plays MBA after the series is over next year. I hope that BGA continues to play them, each year. It is a great rivalry and one that the kids deserve a shot at each and every year.

I still think MBA appears in (and wins) the 2003 AAA Clinic Bowl.

I'd like to see the rivalry continue, and I think it will, especially if all the privates are put in one league/division and they can only play each other. BGA would be one of a few schools that would provide the best competition for the current DII-AAA schools looking to fill their non-Super 7 schedule.

BGA moving to DII-AAA is a tough call. The Wildcats would hold their own, but one has to remember that it's much easier to play an MBA one week out of the year than it is to have four or five games against teams of similar caliber (such as this year, with BA, CBHS, McCallie, Baylor, and maybe MUS). And Father Ryan is not dead by any means; they will produce good teams again in the future.

I think BGA is a good fit for DII-AA, yet I certainly think they are one of only a few current non-Super 7 teams who could move up to II-AAA if warranted.

BGA definitely held there own against MBA. The difference

in the game was sheer numbers. The BGA defense had a

number of kids playing both ways. They could not hold

back the MBA offense in the final quarter.

Even though I picked MBA by two touchdowns, the game

was much closer than the score indicated. However, I

agree with the previous post. I don't think that BGA

has the numbers to compete week in and week out

with a super 7 schedule.

How many male students at BGA?

A little under 200, I believe.

I don't think that BGA

has the numbers to compete week in and week out

with a super 7 schedule.

Absolutely right, jek. The final 12 minutes of the game Friday proved it. When one team has 8 guys playing both ways, they're bound to wear down when the opponent is rotating in capable, fresh players.

And now for my rant on the field goal decision. Wildcatfan, I'm not sure I've ever heard you be so euphemistic as you were in calling that decision "interesting." You would've been hard-pressed to find 10 people in that stadium who expected the 'Cats to get the ball back (ok, perhaps I tend to exaggerate). Everyone knew Koban was going to get it, and BGA couldn't stop him (Burns either, for that matter). The 'Cats only had one time out. Three-to-four first downs and the game was effectively over.

The BGA players had played their hearts out all night long, and I hated to see their chances go away like that. The 'Cats had scratched and clawed to give themselves a chance late. They HAD to go for it. You keep the MBA ground game off the field, and bleed clock. Try to punch it in late and go for 2 and the win. If you make it, you just pray that you hold on for the remaining time.

And if you don't convert the fourth down, MBA runs it down your throat to run out the clock, just as they would have done if the lead had only been 4.

Edited by commish5238