state champs for 4a

eastTNftball

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

at the beginning of things, i would have said cleveland, not because thats mostly who i look out for, but simply because of what all they brought back, i still believe they have the potential but am not real sure they will reach it. otherwise right now, maryville is still my number 1, they have an awesome coach, they also have some experience still left, and they always seem to step up to the plate, no matter who they face. melrose is also very impressive, but they always seem to have one bad game in the playoffs. hillsboro, is cursed by maryville, so even if they do get back this year, they better not have to face the rebels.

northMemphis..... although the Knox Central fans won't like this, the hardest team consistently for Maryville year in and out is probably Morristown West. With the exception of a rout early last year, the Maryville/Motown West game is always one of the hardest, snot-knockin, smash-mouth games of the year. This year was no exception. Lately, Knox Central has put up a pretty good fight (and this may be their year - god forbid, we won't know until later this month). But Motown West is well coached, well supported, and seems to be a team on the brink.

All that said, and it's WAY too early to predict such a thing, but I'm leaning towards Maryville vs Melrose in the title game.

Jeez, we lose to Maryville twice and it's already a curse? Heck, that matchup hasn't even become a bother yet, much less a habit. We had room in our trophy case for silver footballs anyway. :D

As for Melrose, my guess is they still don't have a kicker who can get a PAT, so the odds are most 2-point conversions fail anyway. M-East had the same problem the year before, and probably still do. And whomever from the west gets the nod has to travel to Middle TN.

With that said, this should be the most interesting early rounds of the playoffs for the burros in some time.

BTW--Melrose's qb, Antonio Hefner is the real deal. The kid's a high school prototype of Michael Vick.

I follow Knox Central, with that being said, I think Maryville is still the team to beat this year. They have done a great job reloading. At the beginning of the year, I thought both Central and Cleveland would be better. Both have stumbled and seem to have weaknesses. Maryville's schedule has not been too tough this year with the exception of Mo-West, who doesn't have a whole lot of offense and a good Wm Blount team. But Maryville and Central play later in the month and then Cleveland awaits in the playoffs (probably). I would say that a Maryville/Melrose matchup is possible in the finals.