WEST TENNESSEE

huskerfanbob

Milan is the best team in West TN.

CBHS is the best team in Memphis.

No disrespect to the fine teams out of Memphis, but just accept the fact that when the term "West TN" is used we do not even give a thought to Memphis. Yes we know you are in the western end of the state, but you might as well be from the other side of Mars. That is just how it is. I`ve lived in Memphis and Jackson. Much has to do with media coverage. So don`t be offended if we don`t take into consideration the Memphis teams when the discussion involves West Tennessee.

CBHS is IMO the best team on this end of the state. However, Milan is the best team in West Tennessee.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Milan has played some good teams - Huntingdon, Central Merry, and Covington is up this week. Their region is usually a little stronger top-to-bottom, but Westview and Union City are both down this year. They have a legitamite shot at going to Murfreesboro this year.

However, I think they'd be hard-pressed to hang with the better Memphis teams like Germantown and CBHS. I wouldn't mind seeing more games played between rural west TN teams and Memphis metro teams in the future. I think it would make both sides better in the long run.

Theboredguy. I disagree about memphis playing rural west tn more often. I think that there are some solid teams in rural west tennessee. But if you guys notice, not one person in West Tennessee bothered to even respond to my last couple of post were I listed the Head to Head playoff records of Memphis VS Rural West TN. Memphis teams have no reason to travel to rural west TN to play games. The competition within shelby county is awefully stiff in each league. Even in region 8-2A, Oakhaven, Tredwell, and Manassas have their hands full with Memphis Carver and Mitchell within their league. Wooddale, obviously has a full plate with memphis East, Melrose, and Ridgeway in 8-4A. Raliegh Egypt, figures to be the #2 seed in 8-3A, yet they nearly knocked of jax ss in week o. It would be nice to see Milan play memphis East for instance, But East can get just as formidable a non-league foe as milan without leaving shelby county. Look at Memphis East' non league slate

Week 0 Briarcrest won 20-7

week 1 Christian Brothers loss 27-26 in OT

week 4 Raliegh-Egypt won 36-24

week 5 ECS loss 14-20

all of those teams would likely have given Memphis East about as daunting a challange as anyone could have outside of shelby couny. Plus, you obviously save alot in travel cost. Would Milan return the trip? this is why you dont see a lot of intersectional games. CBHS coaches have gone on record as saying that Melrose and Memphis East, might be as tough as anyone they have faced in all of D-II this year. Why would they play Lipscomp or Ezell, or CPA in a non-league game. Likewise CPA can get just as tough a nonleague game from MBA or Brentwood acad. in their own midstate area.

Just a sidenote...in those last few lists, collierville and bolton were listed as rural teams playing against memphis teams. Last time I checked both schools were definitely within Shelby County borders, and very much are Memphis area teams. i.e. are covered every week within the Commercial Appeal. Maybe rechecking these "lists" will change those standings.

I'm a non-Memphis west TN guy as most of you know, but I have to agree with rollredroll.  You're talking about some quality 4A, 5A, and D-II schools there.  I do think a select few west TN teams could play with some of those he listed, but I would be surprised if any of them could hang with CBHS.

Maybe we'll see some games like this in the future, such as Covington-Germantown this year.  I think it would be good for football in this area.

You say we need to see more Games of Memphis vs West TN ha ok lets look at head to head in Last years playoffs

Mitchell 31, Peabody 0

Union City 39, Booker T. Washington 0

Westview 28, George Carver 22

Milan 42, Oakhaven 6

Mitchell 22, Union City 14

Mitchell 20, Milan 14

Mitchell 12, McKenzie 0

So Far Memphis 4 Rural West Tn. 3

Lets continue!

Ridgeway 28, Brighton 0

Kingsbury 28, Obion County 20

Raleigh-Egypt 26, Ripley 7

Covington 65, Frayser 18

Ridgeway 22, Kingsbury 0

Covington 28, Raleigh-Egypt 0

Ridgeway 24, Covington 20

Ridgeway 29, Crockett County 0

Memphis 10 Rural West TN 5

Melrose 33, Dyersburg 6

Fairley 26, Jackson Northside 0

Memphis East 30, Munford 23

Haywood County 20, Craigmont 14

Memphis East 14, Haywood County 6

As one can see, when we look at head to head in the larger classes, the difference becomes painfully obvious

Memphis 14 Rural West Tn 6

Central-Merry 23, Collierville 18

Central-Merry 24, Memphis Overton 6

Germantown 17, Central-Merry 0

Memphis 15 Rural west TN 8

Bishop Byrne 21, Rosemark 6

Final Score Memphis 16 Rural West Tn 8

There were only 24 playoff Games where Memphis teams faced teams from rural west Tn in 2002. It seems like rural west Tn is stron during the regular season when weak Memphis teams like Manassas travel tp places like union city, Milan and so forth. Some folks get a false read as to the true strength of Memphis. but when the playoffs come reality hits! Mark my word, Memphis(region 8) will go 4-0 head to head with region 74A in the playoffs this year!

West TN 8 Memphis 4! Melrose is still the favorite so you have a chance there. Mitchell got by tonight, but if you have trouble with Humboldt you don't want any of Milan. The 8-3A teams are getting the basketballs out. Reality has hit I guess.

Edited by rkf

rkf

just out of curiosity. why does everyone think that melrose is the favorite in 4aaaa. i mean have you seen jcm play in the past month and half. i guees not b/c jcm is gonna turn some heads this post season. sice jcm got thumped by milan they have out scroes there opponents 191-9. trust me . jcm melrose its gonna go down at the ROCK in two weeks.

I'm not going to get into the best team discussion because it's just opinions being aired.I find MemphisPlayer's recaps to be very insightful.Nice job,Memphis Player!In Round 1 this year rural WT went 8-4 against Shelby County.Too bad my Humboldt Vikings were one of the 4.

rkf

just out of curiosity. why does everyone think that melrose is the favorite in 4aaaa. i mean have you seen jcm play in the past month and half. i guees not b/c jcm is gonna turn some heads this post season. sice jcm got thumped by milan they have out scroes there opponents 191-9. trust me . jcm melrose its gonna go down at the ROCK in two weeks.

I know JCM is playing good and I hope you're right. If you can get by Dyersburg the 3rd round would be at Jackson right?