MBA at Christian Brothers

rollredroll

Let's get some thoughts (no trash talk, please) about this big matchup.

MBA-CBHS has generally been a defensive battle, except for the 1999 and 2000 seasons, and this year's game looks to be the same. Since 1995, and excluding '99 and '00 (Ingle Martin-led MBA teams), the most combined points scored in the game is 29:

1995: MBA 21-7

1996: MBA 13-0

1997: MBA 10-7

1998: MBA 23-6

1999: MBA 47-7

1999: MBA 49-15 (state title game)

2000: MBA 31-0

2001: CBHS 14-11

2001: CBHS 14-0 (state playoffs)

2002: MBA 14-9

CBHS has been very impressive - they not only have played the powerhouses but also have beaten them: BA, Germantown, Melrose, etc. Having this game at home will be a big advantage for CBHS.

MBA is averaging 33 points per game, and also against solid competition, but this will be the best defense it has faced yet.

Should be a great game.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that this will be a great game. I've been waiting for this game since the CBHS-Germantown game that CBHS won. I've got a question for you MBA fans out there: Does MBA have a lot of speed on their team this year, or are they more of a power team, or a little bit of both? And, if they do have some pretty fast guys, what positions do they play?

ROLLREDROLL, Think you need look no further than unapproved website.com, poxer ratings for TN:

#1 CBHS is a hefty, nationally respectable 59.3 v. #2 MBA at 49.3. Probably more telling is the strength of schedule: 41.2 v. 25.2, i.e., v. TN #'s 3,4,5,7, & 9. Note Riverdale at #24; Maryville, #38; Oak Ridge, #44; and DB, #50.

Also an interesting "exercise" is to look at the comparative lack of strength in Southern California and Florida versus the poxer conferences of Ohio: St. Ig', Canton, Xarren, Cincinnati. One could extrapolate "Tony's" preference for SC football and his "stacking" his Top 25 from south of the Hyattsville-Tulsa-Concord Line from this data, contrasted to USA Today's predilection for circulation-at-all-cost (until season's end).

ever since christian brothers upset ba (9 fumbles) 21-6, i have been waiting for this matchup.. it should be the 2nd best game on the year in DII (mba vs. ba on holloween) and this will be a playoff preview. its definately a toss up.. christian brother's offense isnt great, and mba's D is. mba's offense is great vs a great Christian Brother's D.. look for special teams to be a big part. great game, either team can win...my perdiction: mba 24-17

Neither offense should be able to mount much of

a running game. MBA's D-line quickness and CBHS

sheer size and power should negate the run.

However, I think Fisher will rise to the challenge and

make some key throws.

MBA 14 CBHS 10

Edited by jek

Just going by the numbers i have seen, it doesn't look like christian brothers has a really solid passing game, and since they're normally a running team, i'm assuming them to be a running team again this year. i think mba's offensive versatility will really help them out since cbhs' d-line is so big. they can turn to the passing game a little more if they need to, but i hope they at least try to run it as usual. cbhs does appear to have a good wr in russell (i think that's his name) they like to go to him in the redzone because he's tall, but other than that i haven't heard a lot out of him. i think mba's quickness on d will really help them out as far as shutting out cbhs' passing game and outside running ability, which will turn the run inside, where mba's strentgh is. of course, these are all just predicitons based on internet knowledge alone, so we'll se what really happens. i think mba by 10.

I have not seen MBA play this season. I have seen CBHS twice.

CBHS will run the ball. That is their bread 'n butter. They do not have much of a passing attack. But their QB is capable of hurting you b/c he is accurate. He will throw to the open reciever. But he has not had many teams put pressure on him b/c of the protection that he gets from his o-line. Be interesting to see if MBA can get to him.

I think this game is too close to call. It will come down to two things: Field Positioning (i.e. special teams) and Turnovers.

Good luck to both teams

64, I'm not a big fan of the unapproved website site yet - at least from a rankings standpoint (I do like it as a site to get comprehensive national results). I don't have a problem with CBHS being number one - they've easily played the most difficult schedule in the state so far, and they'll have a chance to solidfy that ranking on Friday night. Where I have a problem is the ranking of teams like Maryville (38) and D-B (50). I think it's safe to say both of those teams are Top 10 teams in the state. I think the unapproved website rankings tend to put too much emphasis on strength of schedule.

64, any Top 25 upsets this past weekend across the country?