Favorites for A-AA State

tnhooper45

well i think folks in state need to watch out for the sleepers, some people have their best and worst days under pressure, i know of two golfers that are from west tn that are 2 of the top 10 in the state when those top 10 play golf like they know they can. those boys are Wesley Stewart-Humbolt and Kirk Rogers-Gleason

Wesley, a jr. is a strong all around player that can HIT IT A TON, small build @ 5'10 maybe 150 lbs, won the district tourn with a 75

Kirk, also a jr. is a pip sqeak at 140 lbs dripping wet with rocks in his pockets @ 5'11. but this kid does have a little muscle on him that allows him to knock it out there about 275 off the tee pretty consistantly, but the key to his game is hitting the greens in regulation, from 100 yrds and in, i would not pick another kid in the state to have hitting, putting on the other hand...it comes and goes, one day this kid can knock it in from newhere on the green, other days he would be lucky to 2 putt from 5ft. the 2 putting from 5ft is what caused him to throw up a weak 84 at districts at a easy course in sharon, but his true talent shined thru the next week in troy where he shot a 2-under and tied...yep you guessed it...Wesley, the two had a playoff and wesley had an unlucky bounce on the 2nd playoff hole, a reachable par 5, thus kirk had a relitivly easy win, although he did reach the green in two, he 3 putted for a par and the win in region 8a

i would like to wish luck to both of these players next week at state and these two kids should cause lots of fireworks next year as well, both will be back as seniors

now as for the girls, all one can say is usj, they are the best team in the state, hands down, but done ever count out the girls from gleason, who are heading to state for the 2nd year in a row although having a rough district and regional showing due to a wrist injury, senior maegan sullivan is the teams' ace she has the capability to go into red figures but has to have her approach shots working, which is usually just a wedge cause i have never ever seen a girl hit a ball as far as she does, the number 2 girl golfer for gleason is junior ellen owen, most ppl could prolly throw her farther than they could hit a golf ball, miss owen is about 5'4 @ 85lbs, she doesnt hit the ball very far, nor sometimes very straight, but she knows how to manage a golf course and almost never shoots over 85 on 18 holes. and the number 3 golfer is senior kristy newsome, who is a solid all around player, she is very streaky with her long tee shots and sometimes arrant approach shots, can go low with a good day with her irons..katie spain is gleasons alterante in the state, katie is a very good ball striker that can dip below the 90 mark as often as she lets herself, if she can get past the mental parts of the game she wouldnt be an alternate, but being an alternate on this team is no put down, cause i would take our alternate over ANY PERSON IN REGION 8A,(maybe thats why they are goin to state again??)

Truthfully looking at the Region scores, I think we've (Carter) has got a good a chance as anybody.

Region scores:

1.) CPA 298 (6A-AA)

2.) Carter 305 (2A-AA)

3.) Milan 311 (7aA-AA)

4.) Wayne Co. 315 (4A-AA)

5.) Lexington 316 (7bA-AA)

6.) Greenbrier 322 (5A-AA)

7.) Walker Valley 324 (3A-AA)

8.) Sullivan Central 342 (1A-AA)

9.) Memphis Mitchel 427 (8A-AA)

I also think Carter has an excellent shot at the title. Their region is historically strong. I watched a couple of them play at region and their strength is that they have no drop off top to bottom. I believe at region they shot 75, 75, 77, 78. In team golf your often only as strong as your weakest link, if this is true put your money on Carter. They also all seemed to be real good kids.

nice posts Mav. The great thing about it is there are 1 senior in the crew going to the state. Our two lowest scores were Freshmen, then comes a Jr. and a Soph.

Just an FYI for everybody our Golf team arrived safely in Savannah earlier this morning and played their practice round at Pickwick. Sounds like a shorter course than many we've played, but difficult with many different angles and obstacles to manuvere.

Thanks for the nice words to our team MAV I'll let them know that we've got people pulling for them not just us! Maybe I've gotta re-evaluate this AC grudge I have :P