Coaches taking heat!

Relaxed1

Something came to mind when reading another thread and I thought it was worth discussing. The breaking point for coaches, as fans some of us think they are free game. We can say whatever we want, we can challenge their knowledge, even their pride and in some cases their manhood and because they work for the board of education they can and should do nothing. I am not provoking violence, but as fans in some cases we need to show more respect (as do some coaches). But on adverage fans cross the line far more times than do coaches. And I 'm just as guilty as the next. It just came to my attention with the growing number of coaches involved in these type situations with fans.

What do you think?

Just to let you know I'm not a coach but I did recently sat close to the coaches wife and kids at our last game and it had to be hard for them on occasion. Just a thought.

Edited by Relaxed1

I think a good point is made. As a coach I know there is going to be a certain amount of criticism and things said and done, that I will deal with in my job. I will not lose sleep over it . The problem I had was pointed out it is the coaches' wives and kids who suffer the most through ballgames. I know alot of people would not want their kids to hear some of the mean and hurtful things that fans themselves say about coaches in the emotion of the moment! People need to stop and think sometimes before they speak. Alot of people feel because they paid their money they have a right to do and say what they want. Well let me pay five bucks come to your job and scream at you for an hour about how you do your job! We as coaches are in the public eye and therefore are under much more criticism than an everyday worker. The mindframe as a coach i try to keep is A. I am not in it for the fans but for the kids, B. If they want my job bad enough just ask, I was looking for one when I found this job and I am sure I will find another. As A coach, juust like anything else if you can look yourself in the mirror at the end of the day and say you did your best that is all anyone can ask. My two cents take it for what it is worth!!

Coaches must be thick skinned. If you are not, you'll never last in this business. Fans and the media can and will say anything about a coach, especially if the team is losing or they personally don't like him. It is the coaches job to remain professional, respectful and avoid altercations if possible. Sometimes it is not possible. When these situations arise the coach should have enough self control to end the altercation quickly, and suggest meeting at a later time if it is warranted. Rambling or intoxicated fans should never have this opportunity. The only people that should get the chance to talk to a coach privately are parents, administrators, etc. Remember, coaches are role models and are always being watched. Handle yourself with pride and dignity. Attacks on family are a different matter. If a fan crosses that line, they have made a big mistake. First off, anyone who would say anything to a coach's wife or children is a gutless coward. I have never been in that situation, and hope that I never am. I'm not sure what my reaction might be, but it would be very difficult to maintain professionalism and control if that occurred. Criticism is a natural part of coaching and athletics, deal with it. However, attacks on someone's family is unacceptable and just plain sorry.

relaxed1,

I agree with you when you say that coaches are being challenged too much. However, I think that there are some cases that are absolutely true. I played and started at guard at Blackman last year as a senior. God only knows how much blood, sweat, and tears I put in. Blackman opened my sophomore year (2000-2001). In the 2001 season we went 8-4, becoming the first team ever in the state of Tenneessee to make the playoffs in its first full varsity schedule (we had a J.V. schedule in 2000). My senior year we went 9-4. We had a chance to beat Riverdale in the playoffs twice when we took the lead: 2001 (16-0) and 2002 (13-10). This goes to show you that we were pretty good for a new school. Now this year Blackman is 1-6. They are pitiful. It has to do with the coaching. They have a senior QB with game experience and for the first few games they started a sophomore with no game experience who threw 4 or 5 interceptions and only 1 touchdown. They don't teach the o-line how to really block some one. They got people starting in differnent positions who are so clumsy that they can't even walk without bumping into something. They even had to move a couple of freshmen up to varsity and both of them are starting now. And on kickoff returns, the coach tells them to form a "wall" going parallel with the sideline, which allows the kickoff team to easily get to the ball carrier and drill him every time. No one on the team ever hustles because the coaches don't know how to discipline them to just give it your all.

I know the head coach doesn't even give it his all. All he does is stand around and smoke cigarrettes and ACTS like he cares. The only reason he is out there is so that his son can play. I'm not going to bash his son on here because he is one of my friends, so I'll try to speak kindly about him. Last year one of our starting linebackers got hurt and all of a suddenly his son moved from 2nd or 3rd string safety to starting linebacer (all 140 lbs. of him). Riverdale put up 21 straight points during the regular season last year just by running the ball at him every play. I talked to coach Rankin after the game and he said he laughed when he found out that he was starting because he knew he wasn't very good and it would be a cake walk. Blackman's coach says he is going to quit after his son graduates, but it would be best for Blackman if he'd quit NOW.

You should hear all the comotion in the stands. You wouldn't believe how mad the fans are. I know of several of the dads that could take this team and turn it back into a better playoff team than the head coach can. One bad thing is that my little brother still plays for Blackman; he's a junior. I feel sooooo sorry for him and I can see the hurt in his eyes when he comes home at night just full of frustration, knowing all the horse crap that goes on there.

I guess that my point of writing all of this is just to vent off some frustration because I am upset to see my former team sucking like this. If any of the Blackman coaches (every one but the linebackers coach) see this, I know that yall look on here a lot, I just want to tell yall that yall stink!!!!!!!!

Yall stink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel your frustration. Can the administration see what is going on, I'm not saying that there are not ways to handle these situations. There are times when people need to be evaluated or even fired. Find and use the proper channels, I believe this is the way we show even the worst the proper respect as adults.

the last two post is what this thread is all about.

My guess is that you havnt talked to the coaches face to face.

My guess is that your brother doesnt start and that is your real problem.

i dont know. iv never heard of blackman. but it is the same everywhere when a team goes on a losing streak.

most of the time it is the lack of talent not the coaches. especially in one A football.