So is Colquette stepping down?

bigmoney128

He doesn't have winning talent coming up and I'm sure that he will try to get out as quick as he can. Grundy's losing a lot of seniors this year, and Dustin Fults is really the only key player they have coming back as an offensive threat for next season. And SCtribe you are right, Colquette isn't going to waste his time on something that can't be done. I'm not saying that you have to have a loaded team, but you have to have a certain amount of talent and I just don't see Grundy having any for a long time. I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens after this season is over.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What everybody from Grundy, and Marion has to realize, and Colquette especially needs to realize, is you'd have to want to lose in order to do so with the Marion teams he won his state championships with. Any coach would've won the state championship with the teams Marion had in 90, 92, 94, and 95. They were unstoppable..The only way they wouldn't have have won the championships in those seasons is if the coaches would've made them lay on the couch and eat tater chips all the time...Everyone thinks Colquette won those state championships..He's a great coach, but he didn't play the game. His talented team won those state championships.

AC :D

Fender, I played at Whitwell from 78-81.. At that time, Marion wasn't much different than Whitwell. As a matter of fact, Whitwell was a lot better. In '78, we were 7-4 and Marion was struggling to get 5 wins if I remember correctly. SP still ruled the county. Colquette was at Bridgeport, AL. and had a reputation of winning there. In 1978, we beat Marion 20-0 regular season and lost 12-0 to them in first round of the playoffs. Then, in '79, Whitwell hired Landon Pickett (from Marion, BTW.. also a Whitwell native). We beat Marion that year 6-0. In 1980, Marion hired Colquette and immediately they were better. I know some of the players on that first team (played summer baseball with/against them) and I noticed a big difference immediately after that first spring practice in their attitude. He made believers in them. Something we didn't have at Whitwell and we were really the same kids. They beat us 28-6 that year and 24-0 in '81. The '78-'79 Marion teams were totally different than the' 80-'81 teams. It's like comparing the TN. Titans to the Atlanta Falcons today... 2 teams headed in opposite directions. It was Colquette who made the difference. Marion started having success and it wasn't long before they were in the playoffs and on to their 4 state championships. Success breeds success. I agree Marion had the talent in the early '90s. That's obvious. But that train wouldn't run without Colquette shoveling the coal and punching the levers to make it roll. Marion owes a lot to him. He certainly has my respect. He is responsible for bringing top quality football to the Sequatchie Valley.

There is a very good reason why Coach Pickett will never coach at grundy again. He had a personal problem and he had to get out of the community. It had nothing to do with him or his football team and coaching. It had to do with his family. I am not going into detail with this cause i was a friend of his son and dont think the story should be told. If you know Coach Pickett well you probually know the story.

There is a very good reason why Coach Pickett will never coach at grundy again. He had a personal problem and he had to get out of the community. It had nothing to do with him or his football team and coaching. It had to do with his family. I am not going into detail with this cause i was a friend of his son and dont think the story should be told. If you know Coach Pickett well you probually know the story.

Warriorpride: Are we talking about the same coach Pickett?... If you are referring to my previous post, I'm talking about Landon.. not Chris.

Just wanted to clarify.

Warriorpride: Are we talking about the same coach Pickett?... If you are referring to my previous post, I'm talking about Landon.. not Chris.

Just wanted to clarify.

Lets tell the story in short. Chris had a death in his family and decided to move. Chris and I have been friends for years and I hope the best for him at Richland. My advice, stay away from the mountain.

Just wanted to clarify.

Lets tell the story in short. Chris had a death in his family and decided to move. Chris and I have been friends for years and I hope the best for him at Richland. My advice, stay away from the mountain.

For the record, I don't know Chris or anything about that situation.

What everybody from Grundy, and Marion has to realize, and Colquette especially needs to realize, is you'd have to want to lose in order to do so with the Marion teams he won his state championships with.  Any coach would've won the state championship with the teams Marion had in 90, 92, 94, and 95.  They were unstoppable..The only way they wouldn't have have won the championships in those seasons is if the coaches would've made them lay on the couch and eat tater chips all the time...Everyone thinks Colquette won those state championships..He's a great coach, but he didn't play the game.  His talented team won those state championships.

AC  :blink:

Fender, I played at Whitwell from 78-81.. At that time, Marion wasn't much different than Whitwell. As a matter of fact, Whitwell was a lot better. In '78, we were 7-4 and Marion was struggling to get 5 wins if I remember correctly. SP still ruled the county. Colquette was at Bridgeport, AL. and had a reputation of winning there. In 1978, we beat Marion 20-0 regular season and lost 12-0 to them in first round of the playoffs. Then, in '79, Whitwell hired Landon Pickett (from Marion, BTW.. also a Whitwell native). We beat Marion that year 6-0. In 1980, Marion hired Colquette and immediately they were better. I know some of the players on that first team (played summer baseball with/against them) and I noticed a big difference immediately after that first spring practice in their attitude. He made believers in them. Something we didn't have at Whitwell and we were really the same kids. They beat us 28-6 that year and 24-0 in '81. The '78-'79 Marion teams were totally different than the' 80-'81 teams. It's like comparing the TN. Titans to the Atlanta Falcons today... 2 teams headed in opposite directions. It was Colquette who made the difference. Marion started having success and it wasn't long before they were in the playoffs and on to their 4 state championships. Success breeds success. I agree Marion had the talent in the early '90s. That's obvious. But that train wouldn't run without Colquette shoveling the coal and punching the levers to make it roll. Marion owes a lot to him. He certainly has my respect. He is responsible for bringing top quality football to the Sequatchie Valley.

I agree whole-heartedly Whit..Coach Colquette worked those players hard, and it showed. And I agree that coaching has a lot to do with how you play, but, some amount of good coaching can be sacrificed as the talent of the team increases. If you had a team full of Eric Westmorelands, then all you'd really need to win games is a coach with common sense...Now don't get me wrong, a team of Eric Westmorelands with a coach like Colquette could beat a lot of teams outside of their division. But I honestly think if Marion had the talent now that they had back then, they'd be strong contenders for the state championship. Anything can happen, though.

AC :D