CCS & HIXSON

spoiler

Its very sportsman-like not to run the score up on a weak team, and Vols is right in saying that you arent told to stop scoring you are told to challenge yourself w/ far shots, not passing, etc. It never looks good to beat a team 12 zip, its easy to prove they are not a threat w/ a 6-0 score.

So you're telling me the CCS coach should have told his 8th graders and other players that don't get playing time to not score (or bike it from 18 yards out, yeah right)? You play the game the best you can and develop in the game when you can. If Hixson or any other school can't stomach it then get off the field. Why does no one want to address the earlier posted comments about why so many Hixson players weren't "able" to play due to fall break or something? Post-season schedules are determined well in advance. Lack of commitment is what the Hixson faithful should be upset about and not a 12zip score that could have been worse if CCS was really trying to run it up.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coaches don't say not to score, but they do like in2vols said, they put restrictions on the scoring to shut down your own offense. Bill Winchester (Ooltewah's coach) usually tells the players they can only score off crosses, finished with a bicycle kick out of the air, after they have made 20 consecutive passes (or something crazy like that). Also, the Ooltewah games vs. Central and Hixson, we put the score up to 5-0, then let JV players take it from there. The Ooltewah Junior Varsity racked up 3 or 4 goals against Central and Hixson. By the way, Hixson, in my mind, has a good looking keeper, I don't know much about her, but when Ooltewah played Hixson, I was impressed with the Hixson keeper, she would get some recognition if she wasn't on a team like the Lady Wildcats...

What was the end score of the CCS/Hixson game? Im nto sure of the specifics of this situation, but yes, i am saying he should have restricted his players, unless he was playing the 2nd string or something. But even if it was the second string you still dont let them run the score up too high, there is no point. And im sure Hixson could have "taken" it, they have had plenty of upsets. You dont do it to preserve the other teams image, you do it to perserve your own image and keep from appearing like you only run up the score on a horrible team to make yourself look better. When, in fact, you make yourself look worse. (Hopefully someone followed me on that one)

Final was 12-0.

I am not exactly sure how many are on the CCS team but they do not have a full JV team. I think they may have had 7 or 8 girls on the bench so they are limited in not playing their starters. As was said before, Hixson's keeper was on vacation leaving the job to younger girls who had not played much.

If you take six starters off the Hixson game when Ootlewah played them (including their keeper) Ooltewah's middle school team would have scored 10 goals. That is not a knock on Hixson. Take six starters off any team and you have a totally different team. Hixson struggled even with those girls.

There is much to be said for any coach that runs up the score on any team no matter what the level of that team may be. You can make a statement by winning 5 or 6-0. As a player and a former high school player I've been on both sides of the spectrum. To be that team that gets pounded 12-0 does not make you feel like you want to ever step out on a soccer field again especially for Hixson's young inexperienced players. For whatever reason Hixson did not have their starters, Cal Sneller should have been man enough to call off the dogs whether they are 8th graders or 12th graders. As a Christian school you should show some respect and sportsmanship to a visiting young, let alone, very inexperienced team.

CCS is not the only school in this county that needs to learn to play possession McMinn County, Ooltewah, and Soddy Daisy. Everyone realizes you are all very talented players you don't need to run up the score on inexperienced, developing teams.

IT'S JUST NOT CLASSY!

I dont know too much about Soddy or McMinn, but you CANNOT say that about Ooltewah. I know Winchester (the coach) and i know what he does in cases like OHS vs. Central and he by no means promotes a high score. Just like Vols says, he restricts the shooting like crazy. So honestly you cant put it on him or Ooltewah.

There is much to be said for any coach that runs up the score on any team no matter what the level of that team may be. You can make a statement by winning 5 or 6-0. As a player and a former high school player I've been on both sides of the spectrum. To be that team that gets pounded 12-0 does not make you feel like you want to ever step out on a soccer field again especially for Hixson's young inexperienced players. For whatever reason Hixson did not have their starters, Cal Sneller should have been man enough to call off the dogs whether they are 8th graders or 12th graders. As a Christian school you should show some respect and sportsmanship to a visiting young, let alone, very inexperienced team.

CCS is not the only school in this county that needs to learn to play possession McMinn County, Ooltewah, and Soddy Daisy. Everyone realizes you are all very talented players you don't need to run up the score on inexperienced, developing teams.

IT'S JUST NOT CLASSY!

Questioning a coaches manhood? and what does being a Christian school have to do with anything? If you value yourself based on whether or not you win or lose by 12 you have the wrong perspective to begin with. It's what the CCS and Hixson coaches focus on in developing their players that matters. If CCS went out to run up the score then that's wrong; however, if they went out to play their best, work in younger players, etc. and the result is 12 nil then case closed. On the other hand if Hixson can't get their team together knowing in advance this is a game that keeps their season moving forward then shame on them and their leadership. If the girls on that team feel their worth is tied to a result in a soccer game, I feel for them as they move into adulthood.

As I said before CCS only has about 17-18 girls on the team with no JV, so they had to leave some starters out there. The best players only scored one or two goal and only had one or two assists. The 5-6 girls that never play in a compititive game, scored and had assists. The fact that they don't have jv team may mean that in a few years CCS will be down.

Ooltewah has enough girls on their team to take out all their starters. CCS probably could have said don't shoot but it is also embarrassing to chase the girls around as they play keepaway and never advance toward the goal. Yes you can restrict the shooting and he probably did that.

You take a Hixson team that has lost every game to a compititive team by at least 4 goals and send six starters on vacation, they are going to lose by at least ten.

I do feel sorry for the girls that had to play while their teammates were on vacation.

I'll have to agree with Staynskool and Hughes, Ooltewah has showed a lot of class this year. I've only been to a couple of Ooltewah's games this year and both of them they could have easley run the score up 12-0, however didn't. Classy coaching on the part of Winchester and Blair...