morristown east vs. greenville

eastTNftball

Coach Smith if you read this message board, you've done one heck of a job but we have got to our players disciplined.  Every time we get a big play we look for the flag before we cheer.  We get silly personal foul and holding penalties all time.

Hurricanfan, I agree with you to a certain extent. There is no place for personal foul penalties or celebration penalties that we have had this year with the exception of the one called on Shane Bower against Volunteer. He was slowing down and the Volunteer RB was on the ground when a Volunteer player pushed him from behind and he actually did an exceptionaly good job of not falling or stepping on him although it may have looked like he stepped on him from the stands he actually avoided him and it was a terrible call.

As for the Holding penalties, there is such a fine line between holding and blocking, and you want your players to block that it is hard to penalize them for trying to do the right thing. Also you should see some of these holding calls we have had this year. I'm not saying they have cost us any games or anything like that they are a part of the game, but when you see them on the film they are simply not there, and it is hard to fuss at a player for something that even your head coach says you did what you were supposed to do and I can see no holding on that play. On the TD run by Palazzola he had already hit the corner and nobody was going to catch him from behind, when the flag flew, or should I say was dropped, and seeing the supposed hold on film I have to say that could be called on just about every play that is run. The one on Francisco was last week was even more of a phantom than this one was.

It is strange that we have had so few penalties on the road but on our home field this year we are averaging over 100 yards per game, or more than two times the yards in penalties we have had on the road. It kind of gives a new meaning to home field advantage.

BTW I'm not coach Smith but I do see the films, and that is my take on what you said. I do also know for a fact he doesn't even know what coacht.com is.

Edited by Sugarcane

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excuse me for jumping into your thread Cane,,,

"SOMBODY STOP MEEEE!"

First we got beat by East by 14, they scored more points then us, WE LOST.

The white hats miss call, as you miss things even when you watch film. Untill you stop thinking you don't lose, the refs beat ya, it's going be bad for ya blood pressure. If you had lost by three or maybe even seven, one or two calls could cost ya. It was more then seven.

Cane,,You guys have a good, tough team this year. Enjoy it, don't whine, and try to keep an open mind. I feel I know you much better.

Now to you BIG DADDY,, Mine and CHHS's brats were the bomb! They loved'em. You will too. By the time we play next year,, CHHS and I will be professionals at this. You may also bring your mate, date, or associate,, As long as they are all one in the same.

West really does have a good club, and fans. I was impressed with the coaching staff. They didn't try to run it up, played most everyone, and kept folks healthy. They're going make a run.

That coach at Greeneville ain't no dummy either. That's exactly what they did with us all night, but with Greenway,, Spread'em out and let the QB find a seam. I bet he had five or six big runs on us. Where we play if you can beat West and Greeneville your having a heck of a year.

Good luck in the playoffs Big Daddy, see ya next year.

Edited by ulcpanther

ulcpanther, If you read the post and the quote above it you will see I am replying to hurricanefan who said coach Smith should dicipline his team more, to which I agreed except for the holding calls. I also said plainly in my post that I DID NOT think they had cost us any games, but the two calls both early in the game had a great effect on momentum and if you have been around sports as long as you seem to have been by reading your posts you should know how much this means in any game.

If you mistook this for whining you are wrong. Greenville whipped the Canes in every phase of the game, but when you see the effort that a player is giving to make a block just like he is coached to do it is very hard to chew him out especially when the film shows that it was a poor call. If the player is afraid to make a block for fear of holding you will not be very successful at running the ball.

I know that it is not your team, and that you most likely don't care, but to sit here and watch film and see the only player with a chance to catch the Greenville player on the first TD get tackled from behind right in front of the official, then on Palazzola's TD run which was the first play from scrimmage after Greenville's TD when he gets to the corner ther is not one Cane blocker in front of him only three Greenville defenders with slight angles, and he simply outran them with no block at all. The hold had to be behind the play somewhere but the official that threw the flag still had it in his pants when he went out of the picture. If he saw a hold that helped spring Palazzola why does he wait until he is at the 20 yard line to throw the flag? Two plays don't get you beat but the momentum of the game took a huge turn to the Green Devils at this point and they quickly took advantage of it.

Edited by Sugarcane

So let me see if I got this right, It's not the calls by the refs that beat ya. It the momentum change,, caused by the ref calls that beat ya.

Maybe Mr. Bower did not step on the Volunteer player but you say you watched the film and you didn't see it either. The kid was stepped, stomped, or walked on by someone. What ever you want to call it. I know I don't see everything and you don't believe me but, IT HAPPEN. Good luck to your team in the playoffs. I don't want to get into some kind of back and forth with ya over this I can see you believe what your saying is true.

And I still think it's whinning.

Now to you BIG DADDY,, Mine and CHHS's brats were the bomb! They loved'em. You will too. By the time we play next year,, CHHS and I will be professionals at this. You may also bring your mate, date, or associate,, As long as they are all one in the same.

Panther, we have at least two things in common, we love to eat and love our teams and high school football. Add some baked beans with those brats and my mate would have to find another way home, because I would be tha BOMB.

I don't get to see the films till the coaching staff gets done with them usually by Tuesday, but I don't need to see it to tell ya that we got our fanny's whipped. That kid that played QB for Greenville looked like a water bug on a pond, and we had trouble tackling him all night. Other than the 82 yard TD run they bottled up Francisco as well as anyone has all season, and we did not pass effectively as well.

You can probably tell by my posts that my son is the Canes QB. I have felt like the karate kid wax on wax off, but with an ice pack all weekend. He tweaked his ankle on the second play after his TD run was called back and tried to continue playing on it. It was his right ankle, and for a right handed QB that's bad news. Early third quarter he popped it real good and could not continue. I hope for his sake he can make it back for the playoffs, because that is what you work so hard for all season, but right now it doesn't look good as it is still big as a balloon.

Anyway good luck to the Falcon's and I'm looking forward to some MEAN dogs next year.

Dang did we post at the same time or what? My son unfortunately is a senior, if it was left up to me he would be a junior as he is a very young senior, but I lost the argument to hold him back with his mother a long time ago.

We only moved to Morristown last year so I don't know that many people here yet and I do not know the identitys of any of the Cane posters. I don't know if Bower was the one who stepped on your son or not, but he was hit from behind as he was slowing down by a Falcon and if he was the one who stepped on him I don't think it was intentional.

Anyway football is a rough game, my son looks like he got into a fight with Mike Tyson and lost, with the exception that he still has his ears. Somebody from the Green Devils when tackling him got his hand through the face mask and poked him in the eye and scrached his face. In addition to the ankle according to Tim Utt the East trainer he has bruised ribs and a slight concussion.

Your son has two more years Panther enjoy them for they will pass far too quickly. Good luck, and see you next year.

So let me see if I got this right, It's not the calls by the refs that beat ya. It the momentum change,, caused by the ref calls that beat ya.

Maybe Mr. Bower did not step on the Volunteer player but you say you watched the film and you didn't see it either. The kid was stepped, stomped, or walked on by someone. What ever you want to call it. I know I don't see everything and you don't believe me but, IT HAPPEN. Good luck to your team in the playoffs. I don't want to get into some kind of back and forth with ya over this I can see you believe what your saying is true.

And I still think it's whinning.

ulcpanther, I'm not going to argue back and forth with you, so call it whatever you want. In every game there are points in the game that momentum changes. Sometimes they have nothing to do with a call, for instance West returns the second half kickoff for a TD vs East, Tennessee gets a hail mary pass at the end of the first half against Florida, and fumbles right before half against Georgia and the Bulldogs return it for a TD. In each instant those plays were turning points in the ball games and the respective teams that were the recipients of those big plays went on to win the game. It just happened that the two biggest plays that turned momentum in the Greenville game the officials played a big part in.

As far as your son being stepped on players get cleated all the time very seldom is it intentional. Ask one of your coaches for the game film and see for yourself, then ask number 84 for the Falcons if he intentionally pushed Bower from behind as he was slowing down and trying to avoid your son on the ground. At the time you not only wanted the personal foul which you got you wanted the Bower kid thrown out of the game for something he could not avoid and was brought on by the push in the back by # 84 for the Falcons. Just look at the film and you will see.

I could say you are whinning about your sons injury, but I won't.