Memphis East vs. Melrose

LCstatman

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Melrose is the best Team I have seen in quite some time. I was on the Memphis East Staff when we lost to Maryville in 2000 and when we lost to Hillsboro in 2001.I have since left East to take over a Assistant Head coach/Defensive coordinator at another local school here in Memphis. I didn't feel that we were at all out manned in either game. I counted 3 Maryville TD's as a result of East Turnovers. This is the first time I can ever recall Memphis East being Handled in this fashion on Both sides of the line of Scrimage.

To some degree, I think its a slap in the face at Melrose and Many other Inner city teams when everyone assumes that the Rural and suburban teams will naturally control the lines of scrimmage. Most people usually feel that the only way Inner city teams can win is to throw the ball and let the natural athleticism of the kids overwhelm their opponents. This is what everyone talked about at the Blue cross Bowl in 2001. I was at the Hospitality suite and people were talking about Austin-East in this way as well as Melrose 1996-1998 and Memphis East in 1999 and 2000. This Melrose team is as physical a team as I have seen. Most East coaches thought Melrose was signifgantly more physical than CBHS. CBHS BEAT East 27-26 in OT while Melrose beat East 35-0!

Well my friends I am here to tell you that Melrose is about as complete an outfit as there is. East entered Tonights game avg. 320 yards per game Rushing, 390 Total offense. Melrose held them to about 75 total yards 50 of that came late during mop up action. Offensively Melrose had Balance, Joseph Doss is the Defending class 3A 110 Hurdles Champ he is only 5'8 but is electrifingly quick and explosive. Melrose has half a dozen SEC recruits. The QB Heffner has to be the Leading candidate for 4A Mr. Football, Corey Kizer is 6'3 190 and is the defending class 3A 400M champ. Kizer has offers from everyone from Miami to Auburn (Exept UT. Carlos Armour Who Anchored Melrose's State champion 4x100 relay is another world class type recruit, Ellix Wilson (Cedric Wilson's Younger Brother is a stud at DB. He does have an offer from UT among others.

Finally Kenny Ingram at Melrose has engineered this outfit into one of the most formidle machines I have ever seen. It will be very interesting to see how this thing plays out. Melrose won't even be tested until the semifinals at the earliest. From what I here, Hillsboro is not as strong as some past years. I pay close attention to powerratings at what not. Alot of people wonder how Melrose could be ahead of Maryville in the enall ratings, I can know see why!

This is a message to StanTrott, No disrespect intended but Yes Melrose CAN Kick The Football.

Edited by memphisplayer

Last year Melrose hardly ever kicked. It became a situation that coach ingram figured that they had better odds ad convering the 2 pt conversion thN GETTING THE pat. The formula I always use is that if you are 50 percenton 2 pt tries, its the same as 100 percent in PAT's. unless you are automatic like hillsboro was when we played you guys in 2001 I would rather go for 2. By the way where is the kicker you all had in 2001-2002. I doubt I will come to Nashville 2 weeks in a row. I would like to meet some of you guys at the blue cross bowl. Lets form a coacht fan club and all of us can chip in on a hospitality suite.

memphisplayer:

Throw in the $12 and become a Plus Member. A get together has been discussed on the Plus Open Discussion Board.

Your 2-point conversion theory is a unique one. I hope Melrose continues going for 2 this year.

I believe Hillsboro's kicker is at Western Kentucky.

What makes you think if you went to a Melrose - Hillsboro game, you will be going east two weeks in a row? Hillsboro has a few players that you didn't see last year.

memphisplayer:

Throw in the $12 and become a Plus Member.  A get together has been discussed on the Plus Open Discussion Board.

Your 2-point conversion theory is a unique one.  I hope Melrose continues going for 2 this year.

I believe Hillsboro's kicker is at Western Kentucky.

What makes you think if you went to a Melrose - Hillsboro game, you will be going east two weeks in a row?  Hillsboro has a few players that you didn't see last year.

I'm sorry stan, I think you misinterpreted what I meant about comming two weeks in a row. I simply meant that, I know I am comming to the Blue Cross Bowl., I attend every year. I simply meant, I didn't want to come to the mid-state area on back to back weeks. I could, but I doubt I will make it to a semi final game. Obviously I did it in 2001, but the 1st trip was with the team when Hillsboro beat us 10-6. I was not impling that Melrose would win causing me to come two weeks in a row. Although I think that Memphis East, Hillsboro, Maryville, and Melrose in past years have all been about on the same level. Hillsboro has been to back to Back state finals. Prior to that Memphis East played in back to back finals. Melrose could have just as easily been their in either 2000, or 2001. But we beat them to earn the semi-final birth. As a matter of fact this is no slap at Maryville, but in the past 3 state finals, I didn't neccicerily think they were the better team. I still can't believe Hillsboro lost last year! Here is how I view class 4A state-wide.

1. Maryville- Arguably the top program in the state reguardless of class.

T2. Hillsboro

T2. Melrose

T2. Memphis East (These three have been 3 peas in a pod. one of these 3 schools has represented the west half in the last 4 State Finals.) If indeed we see a Hillsboro-Melrose rematch as seems almost certain, then 5 years

5. Morristown West is the next best program. But Maryville has baicly handled them in recent years. They are the only school in my top tier to have not played for a state title in recent years, well along with Greenville.

6. Cleveland

7. Knoxville Central

8. Whitehouse-Won 3A title recently

9. Greenville

10 Pearl-Cohn-

See Maryville dosen't currntly have another Elite team to keep them from getting to the finals year in and year out. Its really tough for East, Melrose, Hillsboro and pearl cohn to get out of the west half because most of the premiere teams in class 4A are all clustered in the west bracket. Obviously Maryville can beat whom ever emerges, but I think that Ron Adylett would agree that physically, Melrose was the best team they faced. Whats really crazy is that Memphis East should have beaten Melrose last year in the QTR finals Melrose prevailed 14-12....... PS still no kicker for EAST LOL

Memphis East is loaded next year! more so than usual

Edited by memphisplayer