Cumberland Gap Panthers

Rangerbook06

Cumberland Gap is a high school in region 1AA. This is their first year of exestence. Created by the consoladation of Powell Valley(5-6 last season in 1A) and Forge Ridge( has never had a football team to my knowledge) they have put together a fairly decent football team. What are yall doing up there? Did Powell Vallery have a down year last year? Did Forge Ridge have alot of able bodies? Is it a coaching change? Whatever it is, it seems to work. Good luck against G.P. tonight.

Edited by Rangerbook06

I believe it is a comination. I don't live there but have followed them this year. With the return of Coach Cline and the addition of Coach Pucharelli , new facilities(which from what I understand are great) I think there is a new found sense of pride. And there are some good players there this year. Everything is new right down to the mascot, it is like a fresh start. We all could use on every now and then. I hope the sucess continues. Best of luck!!!

Those are kind words Relaxed and Ranger. Funny enough, I too have no vested interest in Cumberland Gap other than they are a neighboring school. I have followed them this year and can shed some light on why they have had some success. #1) They have a solid group of senior players: Corey Russell is the QB, he is a tremendous athletic talent who will make a good QB for some college. Caleb Medley is Russell's favorite target at WR who also plays CB. Tyler Fransico is a heckuva player who broke his collar bone about a month ago. The list goes on with kids like Overton and Rowlett. #2) Their spread you out/run and pass offensive scheme has been effective. #3) The new facilities seem to have the community revitalized. As far as consolidation, the school they combined with brought absolutely zero talent to the field. Having said that, let's see where they are this time next year when all of their senior laden support is gone.

i am a player at cumberland gap and i would just like to say eventhough this year isnt going as well as we would all hoped it would we have made alot of progress this year. so what ...we dont have the high caliber athletes that alot of bigger schools have and really not the size alot of other schools have we do the best we can with what we have. and we give it all that we have got in everything we do. so if you come to see a game at cghs you may not see a maryville or riverdale or oakland or whoever else you wanna say , but you will see more heart at that game than you will anywhere else. oh yea just one more thing...

the best years are yet to come ...keep up with the panthers!!!

love ya guys!

I have followed them this year and can shed some light on why they have had some success. #1) They have a solid group of senior players: Corey Russell is the QB, he is a tremendous athletic talent who will make a good QB for some college. Caleb Medley is Russell's favorite target at WR who also plays CB. Tyler Fransico is a heckuva player who broke his collar bone about a month ago. The list goes on with kids like Overton and Rowlett. #2) Their spread you out/run and pass offensive scheme has been effective. #3) The new facilities seem to have the community revitalized. As far as consolidation, the school they combined with brought absolutely zero talent to the field. Having said that, let's see where they are this time next year when all of their senior laden support is gone.

Being from that neck of the woods originally, Forge Ridge not having a football team and very few students period, probably didn't help this year, but down the road they might just be a player or two contribute. And they might help more in basketball as they in years past seemed to have a few good players. There might be a Crockett, Ellison, or maybe another Jamie Brown up in them thar hills. At any rate CG seems to be going about it in the right way, and when you do success will follow.

The Gap got some good athletes for a small school. I haven't seen Corey play since he was a soph, but you could tell then he was going to be a good player, just like his dad was, and I've bumped into him many times on the basketball court in years past. My son knows many of the CG players from the SMMS, PV, and HY Livesay days.

Congrats to Ryan Overton for being named one of the 10 state finalist for the Wendys' High School Heisman. My son Jared was the other finalist from East Tennessee. Maybe we'll see you in Nashville.