cloudland against virgina

dewswar

usually the state of virgina has a great line of single a teams. They are usually strong teams....But I hate to be rude but Ive seen cloudland play rye cove, and appalachia. I actually felt sorry for these guys...I know in football theres is always a chance of getting hurt, but if I am appalachia or rye cove or who ever that has a weak program that yr., why schedule cloudland....Seriously I was expecting someone to get majorly hurt....When you have a 300 plus lineman against a 165 pound lineman that is a major mismatch....when your safety is as big as the whole team on the other side that is a major mismatch.....Hats off to appalachia, a tough bunch of kids and well coached. Played hard till the end....But folks the score could have been 200 to nothing.....No Joke....Come playoffs cloudland which in my opinion are a legitimate gold ball contender will face reality, they havent had to play yet, and will have to when they meet boyd or cpa....Can clouldland beat boyd or cpa? I truely believe they have all the ingredients but havent played a good enough schedule to go the distance...If some of the other bigger schools could have been scheduled then I would say yes.....I know schedules are hard to fill and depend on alot of factors, but that really hurts these guys playing for a championship.....Good luck landers....

There are only 3 SW Va. teams that are any good year in year out. Powell Valley, Gate City, Appalachia. This is the worst team I can ever remember Appalachia to have. If you could of got Gate City on your schedule this year, it would of been a good test for you. But I dought you could have. Gate City takes the Frank Beamer approch. They schedule smart.

normally I wouldnt like to see a cloudland gate city matchup because gate city is usually pretty good. But I agree this yr. it would have been a great game....But not next yr. So theres the problems with schedules....Just to clear things up I was not insulting virgina teams. I know appalachia is normally much better...I just hate to see these kids not have any comp. this yr.. going into the playoffs....

You raise some great points dewswar. I was sat next to some great Cloudland folks last night at the CPA/DCA game and we briefly discussed this issue.

It is tough when you can't get good regular season tests within Tennessee and so you hope to see how you fare against Virginia teams only to find these teams come up flat this year. Cloudland is a great team for sure, but unlike CPA, DCA, Boyd, South Pitt they always hit the playoffs never knowing quite how good. When you have a tough regular season schedule, a team can become aware of potential chinks in their armor and work on improving them.

The Cloudland playoff picture is a bit like sitting a final exam, you know you have aced all the class quizzes and you believe you know all the material but have never really sat a practice test along the way.

It occured to me last night that it would be great if you could schedule schools close by (in relative terms) such as Swain County and Murphy in NC and Gatlinburg Pittman. I'm also sure that if you approached the DCA's, CPA's etc we would also be open to schedule you. From a CPA perspective we love trips to the Mountains in fall.

Good Luck in the playoffs, I honestly believe you will be at the Boro.

i agree onlinelc but cloudland is a small school and to be honest cant afford the expenses of traveling great distances...also most schools sched. 2 or 3 yrs. in advance...I would love it if cloudland had the chance to play db or science hill but lets face it. Yes cloudland could compete this yr. with a team like that but generally speaking not next yr. and probably not for a long time will they have this much talent to work with. And lets face it a 4 or 5a school doesnt like to get beat by a single a...I also agree knox cathlic or gattlinburg pitt. would have been a good game. But who knew....Also as far a playing cpa or any of the top three in division 5 usually cloudland would not have a prayer...I truely believe they had patched up their weeknesses and would be a ligitamate contender this yr...But not sitting on the bench after a quarter and a half....I think mark run the ball maybe 6 times, benfield maybe 8 times and then watched from the sidelines....You can practice all you want but nothing beats good compatition...YOU HAVE TO HAVE A REASON TO STRIVE TO BE BETTER.......

I agree with all you have said. I believe that a close loss would be an asset to Cloudland this year. These kids are hungry and I have witnessed the hard work they put into practice, but, it does not compare to game experience.

One of the large lineman runs sprints as hard and as often as he can to get ready, but, again, it does not compare to a full game.

If the larger school teams will not play Cloudland, they cannot be scheduled and, as someone has already mentioned, Cloudland's athletic budget is very limited (my knowledge of this is gathered through conversations with administrators), so long trips to stronger "A" teams is not feasable.

A wish is a wish and not worth much.

Go Landers'.

Edited by RBC

To RBC,

I was not calling you out in the other thread. If you read the last line it said I was easy to find. I am willing to come to Roan Mtn. or if you want to come down here and talk to me or you can call me at my home. As I said I am easy to find. Whatever it takes to make this paper better, I am willing to do so. I am not a violent person, a little crazy but heck I went to Hampton. I might as well get them too haha. But do call me and we will talk about it. It should make for a great conversation.

Tim

I commend Coach Lunsford and his staff for Friday night. I know it could have been much more. I am just the opposite. I think if the Landers can go into the playoffs not beat and banged up then they will put a hurting on some people. I might disagree with you sometimes but as I told Kim, I am picking them to win the state championship. I wish them the very best. You guys go easy on me my next trip there.

Edited by coachtdog

To RBC,

I was not calling you out in the other thread.  If you read the last line it said I was easy to find.  I am willing to come to Roan Mtn. or if you want to come down here and talk to me or you can call me at my home.  As I said I am easy to find.  Whatever it takes to make this paper better, I am willing to do so.  I am not a violent person, a little crazy but heck I went to Hampton.  I might as well get them too haha.  But do call me and we will talk about it.  It should make for a great conversation.

Tim

I commend Coach Lunsford and his staff for Friday night.  I know it could have been much more.  I am just the opposite.  I think if the Landers can go into the playoffs not beat and banged up then they will put a hurting on some people.  I might disagree with you sometimes but as I told Kim, I am picking them to win the state championship.  I wish them the very best.  You guys go easy on me my next trip there.

Tim,

Don't worry about it. All is well. We all mis-use our words on occasion. I am more guilty than most.

I wish I knew more about Kelly. I understand they have a strong tradition like the other Va. schools.

Edited by RBC