PA announcers and bands playing?

flngrvy

We played at Ooltewah last night, and I made the comment that Football seemed to be getting in the way of his drawings. I kept waiting for them to give away the toothbrush and dental floss from a local dentist that we heard him giving away in 2001 when we were there. He never did, but he gave away everything else in Hamilton County. Maybe it was because it was the last home game and they still had a lot of stuff to give away. And maybe he had lost interest when the game was out of reach. Anyway, sometimes we did not who had done what, because he was too busy giving stuff away.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

CALL IT POETIC JUSTICE?.......AT A SMALL SINGLE A SCHOOL IN MIDDLE TN. THERE WAS ONCE A P.A. ANNOUNCER THAT FELT HE TOO HAD TO DO PLAY BY PLAY.

YES HE TOO HAD AN ACCENT LIKE THAT OF TRUE SOUTHERNER AND PROUD HE WAS. HIS COMMENTS OFTEN BROUGHT CHUCKLES OR SMILES TO THE FACES OF THOSE ASSOCIATED WITH HIM. THEN ONE NIGHT, THE SMILES STOPPED.

IN THE CLOSING MOMENTS OF A HEATED DISTRICT BATTLE, THE HOME TOWN FAVORITES MUST GET A FIRST DOWN TO SECURE THEIR LEAD. THE CROWD IS ON THEIR FEET. THE HOME TEAM BREAKS THE HUDDLE AFTER THEIR TIME OUT AND MOVES TO THE LINE.

THE P.A. ANNOUNCER IS CALLING IT AS IF THE ENTIRE STADIUM IS BLIND. AND THIS IS HOW IT WENT:

"THE BALL IS SNAPPED AND SIMS ROLLS RIGHT.......NO!!!!!!! ITS A REVERSE AND HE IS GOING TO THROW IT.........GEORGE IS WIDE OPEN......(A MOMENT OF

SILENCE).........OH MY DID YOU SEE THAT? THEY HAD THAT PLAY COVERED FROM BEGINNING TO END"

THE HEAD COACH ACTUALLY GOES OFF THE FIELD AND INTO THE PRESS BOX......I CANNOT REPEAT THAT BUT NEEDLESS TO SAY, THERE WAS NOT MUCH FROM THE PRESS BOX THE REST OF THE NIGHT OR THE REST OF THAT YEAR.

OH BY THE WAY THE HOME TOWN WON ANYWAY JUST IN CASE YOU CARED.

I like the term "hardly noticed." I also read about Ooltewah and dental floss and I'm afraid to say we will probably hear more of that. Corporate sponsorship of $25,000+ booster budgets is becoming more and more intrusive to the fences and the PA system.

Inexperience goes away with time and it is hard to tell people they are "overboard." Personnaly I can't stand the thundering Fiiiirrrrrsssstttt Dooowwwwnn followed by the team name. To me that's just personal show boating. Play by play should be limited to Radio and TV.

On the other hand PA systems are not used enough at JV and Freshman games. Coaches be sure to bring an accurate roster when you come to these games and PA announcers can compliment O line from time to time ... Bottom line everyone likes to hear there name, it makes parents and players proud so call out names not emotions.

Edited by BigDogDaddy