District 12 A

runningrebel

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perry County has the best talent in the district. 3 sophomores who all started last year and a new freshman post player who will give them significant minutes. They may also have the best player in the district in the Edney girl, which is why she is my pick for the district MVP even though she is only a sophomore. They should easily beat many of the teams in the district and could make a run to state if they play well enough in the region.

Santa Fe won't be too bad. They played good against some great teams in the district and region tournament last year and i don't think they lost to many people, so they should be fairly good.

Collinwood, after a rather terrible season last year, returns all of their girls, i believe, so look for them to finish in the top 4 this year if they can find a significant scorer on their team.

Wayne County lost all of their main contributers to graduation. Their leader is Diana Davenport, the sister of Erica Davenport. However, she's not Erica, and won't be able to carry this team. They need other players, such as the McNutt girl and the other returning post player from last year to step up if they even want to see the regional tournament.

Summertown lost some key players to graduation also, and it didn't help that one of the brightest prospects for this year transfered to Lawrence Co. However, they still have a great coach and some good talent. They also have a fairly deep bench so look for them to finish as one of the top 2 in the district this year.

The remaining teams: Hampshire, Mt. Pleasant, Frank Hughes, Columbia Academy, and Zion Christian Academy should finish near the bottom of District 12A. Frank Hughes could make some noise, as could Hampshire. Mt. Pleasant, Columbia Academy, and Zion Christian, however, will be battling to see who can keep themselves out of last place.

So, are you saying that Summertown was relying on the "player" who transfered to Law. Co. this year?? I think that they will suprise many people. They are a young team (1 senior, 2 juniors, 2 sophmores and 5 freshman) but I think they can hold their own!!

Feed-back please...

Balla33,

I said that i thought that they would finish as one of the top 2, what more do you want me to say? Do you actually think that they are better off without Rachel Meek, because she was someone that they needed. However, she departed 1-A ball and stepped up to 3-A, so all the luck to her.

--I think that the main story will be between Perry County and Collinwood. Both of these teams are really young and PC returns 3 dynamite sophs. Edney is one of the best shooters in the district when you give her time to line up her shot. Rhodes is not bad either. Collinwood got a lot of talent moved up from the State Runner-Up team from Jr. High. Not to mention having Greer and Hensley. These two are loaded..... Collinwood will need a scorer step up and Perry County doesn't need to get too cocky though.

--Eventhough Wayne County lost a lot in the players that they graduated, they are rich in tradition and will carry themselves like they always have....... they will get the wins... no doubt about it...They have always been one of the best in the district in years past and none of them want to be the ones that change that this year. People should not underestimate them for losing the Beavers girls and Myers. They still have McNutt, Davenport, and McDonald......

--Summertown has a great coaching tradition and a lot of people are counting them out.... but I would never underestimate them. They are always scrappy and fast. I would expect them to be up in the top half of the bracket like always. They are not dwelling on what they lost......

--Santa Fe really surprised some people last year and I think they will continue to play better and better as the season wears on. If the Hodge kid didn't graduate, they should have a good shooting threat every game.

--Columbia Academy should be a sleeper team. They are very much capable of finishing in the middle half of the bracket, but they can't seem to get along very well. I can't remember those two girls names..... Sophs. I think... if they would play together they'd be killer, but they won't pass each other the ball.

--Frank Hughes is a sleeper as well. I don't know much about their underclassmen, except they have a pretty tall freshman. But Allen is the best post in the district and Watson is the best all-around player and shooter. They should surprise some people....

--Hampshire returns Hickman I believe, and she has gotten better every year she has played. They also still have Cothran. I hear they have some pretty good underclassmen as well. They should be stuck in the middle again.

--Mt. Pleasant should be quick with Sharnreka and #10 returning. They will probably be in the lower half of the bracket this year.

--Zion Christian is not very publicized but they improve a lot every time they play. I believe they will be better this year and maybe even surprise some people...

Top Teams: Perry Co., Collinwood, Wayne Co.

Middle: Santa Fe, Frank Hughes, Summertown, Hampshire

Bottom: Columbia Academy, Zion Christian, Mt. Pleasant

Sleepers: Frank Hughes and CA; if they play to their potential, they could give the top 4 a good run for their money. Look how Frank Hughes did vs. Summertown in the Tournament last year....... CA is going to turn some heads if they can just learn to get along and just play....

I agree with juanton69 the district will be between C'wood and Perry Co. Put don't put Summertown out they are very well coached the are down but not out. Collinwood needs somone like Hensley or Greer to step and take control of the team to be leader ON and OFF the floor every body else will follow. If they step up they will dominate the district. If not they will play everybody close and win a few and lose a few. As for Waynesboro they have gradually lost key players over the last few years they will be down this season compared to usual but I believe that they will pull a few upsets if teams over look them. The District should be pretty even as I see it. I think that it will be a battle to the end. ;)

Diana never got much of a chance to step in because Beavers was the point guard the whole year. She and her sister, along with Myers, never got hurt and therefore those three positions were virtually locked the entire year. She could have gone in as the 3-man, but that is not her position. She is either a 1 or a 2. Amy Beavers was the 1, Amanda Beavers was the 2, McNutt was the 3, McDonald was the 4, Myers the 5. When her team needed her she stepped in........ but if you had seen her in camp this year, you would know that she has worked very hard and has improved a lot and will help her team in every way possible. Like most teams in this district, they will all be looking for a lot of help from some underclassmen. I think Davenport is a good player, no she is not Erica, but she is still good. She may not be the player that Erica was, but she is trying to be the leader that everyone remembers.

This thread is about the teams in District 12-A, not the individual players. Some teams have some stand-out stars, but they aren't the team. Talk about the teams.....