East Tennessee coach of the year

captain

Of all the coaches mentioned i cannot believe that Joel Helton from Central has not even been brought up. Helton is by far the best coach in Knoxville followed by Pemberton at Catholic and deserves to be mentioned among the best coaches in East Tennessee. Here is my top 5: 1. Quarles for the obvious reasons. No Coach in Tennessee is better than he is. 2. Meadows for how he has completly turned the Jeff County program back into a powerhouse. 3. Helton who continues to win year after year in the toughest region in the state and had #1 Maryville beat if they had a field goal kicker that could kick a ball in the ocean. 4. Pemberton for turning a 3-7 team into a 10-0 and ranked #1 in the state team although he does play a very weak schedule. Plays some teams around Knoxville and we will see how good they really are. 5. Coatney because he is still winning after graduating so many athletes off last years team.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach Quarles is a good choice. If you could give it to assistant coaches then Coach David Ellis, Coach Gaylor, Coach Thompson merit consideration.

Coach Ellis has done an incredible good molding his young, (only one returning starter), lineman into a formable unit.

Coach Gaylor has done a great job and had to replace his linebackers and DT.

Coach Thompson replaced his entire secondary except for one. Until the Clinton game they had allowed only one passing TD. Clinton scored three times through the air but we had freshman and sophomores playing.

This year’s team is as talented in many areas as last year’s team. Next year they could be something special. They have shown that they have the heart to be champions.

Go Red Rebels

Coach Graham Clark from Dobyns-Bennett. This was supposed to be a "down" year for the Indians, not just from coachT posters, but from the coaches, and media, yet the Indians are 9-1 and Big East conference champs (again)...not bad for a "down" year.

I think Coach Quarles at Maryville and Coach Clark get the Bobby Cox treatment..."well, they would good last year, it'll happen again this year, and next and next year and so on"...it doesn't just happen...good coaches create good programs, not just good teams, but, the accomplishments of the individual teams need to be recognized and rewarded.

Roll Tribe Roll

Edited by skunk

Erik Hutchins of McMinn County definetly gets my vote. In his first year he has gone 8-2, placed 2nd in a very tough region in 5A football, he has done a great job replacing a legend in John Mullinax, he led the team to an undefeated record at home, and he beat arch rivals Cleveland and Bradley County in his first year as a head coach. His team also won their 1st round playoff game over Science Hill 34-7 in impressive fashion. He now will take a team with that is playing their best ball of the year into the always talented and hostile enviroment of DB in the 2nd round of the playoffs. If he can lead his team to an upset victory this week on the road, he will have proven himself as the "Best Coach" in the state of TN this season.

i think it would have to be coach jones of the central purple pounders i mean they went 0 and 10 one season then they work there butts off in the wieght room then the next season they went 5 and 5 made it to the first round of the playoffs and then now they are 7and 3 and now in the second round of and fixin to have the biggest game in central history this firday so thats my pick

In my opinion when you talk about coach of the year, you have to take into consideration the tradition of the school, and the athletes. Schools like D-B, Maryville, and Cloudland have very rich traditions, and are presently in the middle of one of the greatest runs talent wise in the schools existence. However Unaka has not made the playoffs since 1994, and haven't won more than 1 game in 4 yrs. Therefore, my vote goes to Mike "acey" Ensor and his staff, they have done a tremendous job, and look for even greater things to comein the near future. GO RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey i think that everyone is forgetting to mention the winner of this award here, and that would be ole Coach Wells from Campbell County. We may have only won 3 games but of the 7 we lost, we lost 4 of the games by a combined 11 points. And with our history thats saying alot and i look for the cougars to fully rebound next year and win these close games, where they couldnt this year.