A-AA Finals

hardball03

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FRA did not play as well as they could of... but yes in the 2nd half FRA scored on a corner kick off of a header... unfortunately the Ref. said that when the corner was kicked the ball curved out of bounds in the air and then came back in... which didn't make sense to anyone because it seemed quite unrealistic considering the angle at which the corner was taken. So yes that goal was taken back. Later in the 2nd half a goal was scored off a header by Kristin Garman, making the score 2-1. Near the end of the game, Garman was taken down clearly at least 2 yards inside of the box but the Ref. placed the ball outside of the box for a kick when it should have been a PK. All in all, I strongly believe that the score should have been 3-2 FRA but unfortunatly they were very unlucky. The game was won by DCA in the 1st half because FRA just didn't seem to pull it together quick enough. The 2nd half on the other hand was played almost entirely on DCA's side and FRA kept firing the ball at the goal in attempts to tie it up. It was a tough game with an unfortunate result, but all I can say is DCA better watch out next year because FRA will bring it.

Edited by SOCCER4ME07

In reading the message regarding the referees at the State games, I could not agree more that there were several "critical" calls that made a couple of games with a huge question mark as who should have won. FRA did have a slower first half than normal, however, between a hand ball by a DCA player IN the box that was heard in the stands, the corner kick call (with the header going in from the far post, making an out of bounds call hard to even picture), AND the foul INSIDE the box on Garman, the FRA team was not truly given the opportunity it deserved. DCA is a great team, but that win in the finals was questionable as to deserved.....from a fan of soccer who loves a great game

I have seen the FRA girls lose only 2 games this year, and I can tell you for a fact that they were both at the hands of faulty refs. We could have played better, yes, but biased reffing really did come into play. Also, its very upsetting to me that the "coach of the year" award goes to the coach whos team wins. DCA's coach Harmon Hodge is a by-the-book jerk. He runs up the score against teams like Ezell who don't have especially strong soccer programs. Ever wonder how Dunlap got all her goals? They weren't from playing teams like FRA or Hume-Fogg... they were from Lighthouse and Ezell. Ken McDonald has a 9 goal rule... you get into double digits on the scoreboard, you run hills the next day. It's called sportmanship... great idea, eh? Another Hodge story: at one of the 5 FRA/DCA games this year, the ball went out of bounds under the DCA bench. Our fullback Jenny asked Hodge to hand her the ball. He told her no, and to go get it herself. I mean, come on. I this this so-called coach of the year award should go to the better coach, and person. But I don't seem to be in charge of the really screwed up TSSAA, so my opinion doesn't really matter much, does it? All i can say is: Hodge, watch out for next year when your precious Dunlap is gone. You'll see the difference in having a team instead of having one girl carry the team.

Look. I go to FRA, and I, more than anyone, wanted them to beat DCA. But the fact is, they didn't. DCA probably played an outstanding game. You can blame poor refereeing all you want. The team should not have placed themselves in a position for the refs to dictate the outcome. I was not there, so I do not know how "poor" they were. I was at the region championship game, however, that was reffed by Jeff Gilles. Jeff did a great job. He let them play soccer. Sure he called some suspect penalties against FRA, but he did the same to DCA. Thats all refereeing is about, consistency. Next year does not matter at this point, and neither does the opposing coach's personality. DCA won the game, so why can yall not just congratulate them and say "Great game"? Maybe FRA will dominate them next year. But that is to be discussed at a later time. Congratulatioons DCA, on a great season, capped off by the ultimate prize. I also want to congratulate the FRA ladies for having an OUTSTANDING season. Only losing two games all year is an incredible feat. It's two bad they both could not win....

Obviously, you have to be on the soccer team to know first hand the rival between these two teams. It would be much easier to say "Good game" to them if they showed us some respect. But I'm sorry, when their girls stop in the middle of a game to cuss out our fans and "shoot us a bird" I'm sorry that's just ridiculous. I've heard some of the trash they say about FRA and it's all unnecessary. To get respect you need to show respect.. I believe the FRA team is nothing but good sports but the favor is not returned by DCA. Every other team we have faced for the most part are awesome sports and for that we respect them greatly. And the fact that their coach doesn't show our players respect sets a bad example and gives their players the idea that it's ok to be bad sports, but I'm sorry half the game is being a good sport... so show respect, get respect. :o

Did I mention they pointed and laughed when our goal was taken away? I'm sorry but FRA would never ridicule another team. ;)

Edited by SOCCER4ME07

Ive had some very bad previous experiences with refs. Continuously i would get upset at ridiculous calls but ive been reminded over and over again by an amazing coach that referees are human beings and they will make mistakes. A mistake was made when i was awarded a red card instead of a yellow card because of a number mix-up, i mean anything can happen. Mistakes can and will happen. So all i can say about the FRA/DCA game is that mistakes were made and as badly as FRA wanted it, mistakes were made by human beings and we have to forgive the mistakes....Things always happen for a reason....We shall see what this reason is later.

As frustrating as this loss is, and whatever one's take on the reffing, the fact is that for this year, the season is over. You take your wins and losses and you learn from them. You come back stronger and better next year. There are mistakes made in nearly every game and in this one, the calls favored DCA. Right or wrong, that is the way it is. FRA is fine fine team, with a fine coach and some of the best young ladies out there. Those of us that support this team are incredibly proud of their accomplishments this season. They show character and sportsmanship on and off the field. They have much young talent that will continue to grow next year under the leadership of Garman, the other upperclassmen and Coach McDonald, and again will be great in 2004. I for one can hardly wait! ARE YOU READY??? BRING IT! ;)

First of all, i think the fridge, nice post. Second, Garman is an outstanding player, you can't take anything away from her. Now some of you need to get your facts straight. Running up the score? We never scored more than 9 goals in a game. We also have no subs. We have 4 subs on the bench and we sub them in and can't do anything else. Courtney got all her goals from Ezell and Lighthouse? She did get alot but she scored two goals in the state final game against a team that has seen her almost ten times in the last two years. Don't try to take anything away from her. The refs were biased, come on. Is that the only excuse some of you can make. FRA took acting class for practice. They got plenty of call they were falling. And you would never make fun of another team. At the frist game this season the student body of FRA waited for DCA to come out of the stadium and chanted just like last year. Which was stupid in the first place because FRA lost to us last year in the districts. It was like last year, just the opposite. They beat us early and we beat them in the regions and won state.